New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Post-Rift Syndrome?

WillySunnyWillySunny Posts: 90
Brain Burst
edited November 2013 in General
** To clarify, this is not talking about motion sick. **

Introduction

After having the rift for three days, and enjoying it to the max, I began to notice something happening to my eyes.

First noticeable problem is there's a very heavy strain of pressure between my eyes, as if you tried to stare at a cross-eyed 3d image for a very long time. (rolling eyes does seem to relief the problem)

Second noticeable problem is that I'm very sensitive to "sway", as if you are a bit lightheaded. Sure, walking/running seems perfectly fine, but the moment you sat down, or stand still, you can feel the whole world swaying.

Third, maybe because I have mis-configured the configuration tool, when I look down now, it feels that I'm a lot taller, or kinda like the cartoon zoom-out effect, where my FOV is alot greater.

So ... yeah. Anyone experiencing the same thing here?

FAQs
Q: Are you near sighted?
A: Yes, I am

Q: Are you using contact lenses?
A: No, I'm always wearing eye glasses.

Q: Did you experience any motion-sickness during game play at all?
A: With the exception of Portal 2 on Tridef with poorly adjusted setting, no, I have not yet experienced any motion sickness whatsoever.
Taiwan | Order ID: 0811xx | Sept 29th - Ready | Nov 5th - Process in 24 hours | Nov 6th - PROCESSING | Nov 11th - ARRIVED | Nov 14th - SHIPPED (WTF LOL!?)

Comments

• silentdriversilentdriver Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    quite the same here, albeit the effect is only very temporarly right now. after spending - let's say - 2 hours in the rift playing something like "aaaaaaa for awsome" - i still feel that diziness for about a one hours later. same goes to your mentioned effect about body awareness. and as you've said: it's got nothing to do with motion sickness which neither haunts me here.

anyway. getting to your faq:

q: nearsighted?:
    a: nope.

q: contact lenses?
    a: nope

q: motion sicknes?
    a: at the beginning in a few games (half life 2 e.g.; especially those not using the unity framework). not anymore. beside the above mentioned effect.
  • ArkioArkio Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    WillySunny wrote:
    ** To clarify, this is not talking about motion sick. **

Introduction

After having the rift for three days, and enjoying it to the max, I began to notice something happening to my eyes.

First noticeable problem is there's a very heavy strain of pressure between my eyes, as if you tried to stare at a cross-eyed 3d image for a very long time. (rolling eyes does seem to relief the problem)

Second noticeable problem is that I'm very sensitive to "sway", as if you are a bit lightheaded. Sure, walking/running seems perfectly fine, but the moment you sat down, or stand still, you can feel the whole world swaying.

Third, maybe because I have mis-configured the configuration tool, when I look down now, it feels that I'm a lot taller, or kinda like the cartoon zoom-out effect, where my FOV is alot greater.

So ... yeah. Anyone experiencing the same thing here?

FAQs
    Q: Are you near sighted?
    A: Yes, I am

Q: Are you using contact lenses?
    A: No, I'm always wearing eye glasses.

Q: Did you experience any motion-sickness during game play at all?
    A: With the exception of Portal 2 on Tridef with poorly adjusted setting, no, I have not yet experienced any motion sickness whatsoever.

I'd attempt to re calibrate your IPD setting as that could potentially cause the eye strain.
  • WillySunnyWillySunny Posts: 90
    Brain Burst
    Well, it can either be the IPD setting on my rift is different than the IPD I'm having for my glasses, and both of them are conflicting with each other, causing the extra strain.

Plus, if you didn't notice, when you are playing the game, your eyeballs are forced to focus DIRECTLY IN FRONT, it has only a little bit of freedom of movement, which could also worsen the feeling.
    Taiwan | Order ID: 0811xx | Sept 29th - Ready | Nov 5th - Process in 24 hours | Nov 6th - PROCESSING | Nov 11th - ARRIVED | Nov 14th - SHIPPED (WTF LOL!?)
  • VinVin Posts: 874
    Brain Burst
    I've noticed that for a while after extended periods of using the Rift, my left eye (which has a far worse prescription than my right) cannot appropriately focus for a while. If I've been using the Rift for extended periods, I've taken to just keeping my left eye closed for an hour or so after using it, but these days, I don't actually spend that much time in the Rift, so it hasn't been as big of a problem.
  • I can vouch for wrong ipd causing described symptoms.
    Another thing I noticed is that you should start using rift incrementally.
    I'm guessing too long exposure to "untrained" brain can cause issues that can appear like inner ear problems.
    I think brain learns to cope with those contradicting stimuli and when returning to normal environment it has trouble deciding how it should adjust again.
  • Perfect vision here, got quite sick from some demos. I noticed that I got kind of lightheaded getting out of the car when going to store after my first session...

The other thing I noticed is that the SDE pattern was burned in my eyes when I got up this morning... After getting out of the bath room (which is well lit) I noticed the pattern quite clearly when I closed my eyes.

Actually kind of concerning, never had an image or pattern "burnt in" to the eyes before... It's gone now though, but that can't be healthy for the eyes in the long run...
  • raidho36raidho36 Posts: 1,312
    Images burnt into your eyes (even for extended periods) is normal. This is because of the mechanism your retina uses to accomodate to extreme light intensity dynamic ranges, from nearly black level of darkness to white-snow-in-sunny-day level of brightness. Your pupil only gives very little dynamic range adjustment, 1:10 or something - basically, it only serves to compensate for rapid brightness change, so you don't have to keep your eyes completely shut when walk to the light, and so you're not completely blind when you walk to the dark, until the retina accomodates.

The mechanism is based on retinal production of a chemical in response for light suppression, or something like this, I can't recall. It takes a while to generate more and it takes a while for it to fade off, this is why your eyes hurt if you walk to the sunny street from a basement with lights out, and this is why when you're going the reverse way you can barely see even your flashlight spot, let alone any objects it lits, for few minutes. The first is caused by lack of this chemical, the latter is by excessive amounts of it. Having excessive amounts of this chemical is exactly what you call "burn in". When you walk into a basemend from sunny outside, your whole vision range is "burnt" for a while. This, however, doesn't happen from being exposed the sun for the whole day for the reason of it's absolute light intensity is only peaked for so much time, for whole morning and evening it's far less agressive, so the absolute intensity gradually increases and then gradually decreases.

It works on specific spots rather than the whole retina, for this reason if you stare to a very bright light source for a few seconds, it's precise shape will burn into your retina so you can see it easily as a darker area with persistent location on your eye, and it takes few minutes to fade off. The "very bright" is relative to the rest of the scene, so it could be a sun in sunny weather outsides, a lightbulb in your room, or a lit match in completely dark basement. The Rift screen's pixels are very bright relative to the interpixel space, this is why the pattern burns in at all. Longer exposure gives longer fade-off, but within 15-20 hours any amount of burn-in should fade.
  • MannyLectroMannyLectro Posts: 558
    Hiro Protagonist
    I had the same effects after the first days with my Rift, but everything went back to normal after a week.

Pretty scary anyway. It's your brain making new connexions and a bit lost.
    Rift 3d models available here : viewtopic.php?t=1514
    321d7a56-bfc9-4667-85ce-3a67291aa90a.jpg
  • vonFeltyvonFelty Posts: 121
    Hrm... I can't tell if I am just noticing or if the Rift has made my eye sight worse.

I am using C cups so everything seems somewhat clear.

I mean everything is really blurry without my glasses, but now with my glasses things look odd. Actually its not really blur as an artifact. Like my mind is expecting the screen door effect. I'm not sure how to describe it.

Everything is blurry without my glasses. Everything looks clear with my glasses, but its its like there is something in my peripheral that I can seem to look at. Like this text I am treading is clear. But the text I am not looking at is not but its rather impossible to read text you aren't looking at anyways. I mean you are suppose to not read text that you are not looking at, but I feel like I should be able to. Its just weird.

Maybe I just never noticed it before and the Rift has pointed this out to me.

I suppose I played too much on Saturday for several hours. I'm taking a break until Verieo gets its patch on Thursday.

[edit]

If I didn't know any better I would say sometimes I am seeing the screen door effect without the glasses in my peripheral. And this is in normal life without wearing the Rift.