cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S Static / White Flashing + Win 7 Hotfix now live for All Users

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
UPDATE 7/29/19: For those Windows 7 users who have been having issues since receiving the 1.39 update, this 1.39 hotfix is now live for all users (not just PTC) and should correct the Windows 7 compatibility issue as well in addition to the static flashing behavior. In order to receive this update please perform a repair install of the Oculus software. On the off chance that the repair install does not remedy the situation, uninstalling the Oculus software, downloading the latest Oculus setup executable from Oculus.com, and performing a fresh install should resolve the issue.

As a reminder, we updated the minimum spec for the Oculus software to Windows 10 last year. We strongly encourage all Windows 7 users to upgrade to Windows 10 as soon as possible to prevent future compatibility issues and enable full Rift and Rift S functionality.

If you encounter any further issues, please be sure to utilize the help center > provide feedback option within the Oculus software and/or contact customer support. Thanks!

-------------------
UPDATE 7/25/19: Hi everyone - I have some good news to share! We're pushing out a PTC update for 1.39 today that includes an expected fix for the static flashing behavior on Rift S. In order to receive and test this update, please opt into the public test channel by going to Settings > Beta and ticking the box for Public Test Channel within the Oculus desktop software (if you are not already opted in). You should receive the new PTC build update shortly after you have opted in. Once downloaded, please give it a test and let us know how it goes! Assuming everything looks good on the PTC, we'll get this update pushed out everyone on the live channel as soon as possible.

As with any update, it's important to report any issues you encounter by utilizing the Help Center > Provide Feedback tool. Thanks again for your patience while we debugged this behavior and worked on a software resolution. We hope you enjoy this update!

-------------------
Original Post:
Hey everyone - Wanted to give a quick update on the status of the static flashing some of you are experiencing and where we're at. The team has been working on this one for a while, and while a fix is not included in the 1.39 PTC, and thus won't make the public 1.39 release, we do expect to have a firmware update that will resolve the issue soon. As soon as I know more, I'll share with you all, but in the meantime, thanks for hanging in there with us.
138 REPLIES 138

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar

Hey everyone - Wanted to give a quick update on the status of the static flashing some of you are experiencing and where we're at. The team has been working on this one for a while, and while a fix is not included in the 1.39 PTC, and thus won't make the public 1.39 release, we do expect to have a firmware update that will resolve the issue soon. As soon as I know more, I'll share with you all, but in the meantime, thanks for hanging in there with us.

lol "some of you".

Soulless512
Expert Protege
After i returned the first one i still had issues, mainly with tracking and i still have some issues with the blackscreen. Mainly happens after I install new graphics driver, but I know the workarounds. Reseated both wires and I have had zero issues cept for the black screen from installing new gfx driver.

Soulless512
Expert Protege
The index is having some worse problems than oculus right now. both are having issues, and they didn't knowingly release a defective product, absolutely nothing is 100% or perfect.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Techy111 said:

TOO LITTLE TOO LATE, ONLY TOOK YOU 2 MONTHS, I ALREADY GOT A REFUND !!!

Will you repurchase when fixed ? I may do.

Heck NO. I lost all confidence in Oculus. You knowingly sold a defective product. You didn't even bother to communicate the problem until today.

best go buy an index..... that way design bugs get refactored into "features" 😉

https://i.imgur.com/Gjp92UQ.jpg

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Heck NO. I lost all confidence in Oculus. You knowingly sold a defective product. You didn't even bother to communicate the problem until today.

best go buy an index..... that way design bugs get refactored into "features" 😉

https://i.imgur.com/Gjp92UQ.jpg

I haven't really been keeping up to date with the Index but I'm guessing they'll get things fixed although that doesn't sound firmware fixable! I'm going to stick my neck out and say 1.40 will sort out the S white flashes.

RattyUK
Trustee
It is strange that the flashes are quite so random, I can get several in quick (minutes) succession and then not see another for an hour or more, or have them fairly regularly spaced through a play session...
At least the recent changes mean that the Rift S is 'available' regardless of how long the PC has been on, and the USB driver warning has gone and not returned.
I'm sure we'll get a fix with a firmware update 'soon' so am not particularly bothered currently.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

DEKED
Explorer

RattyUK said:

and the USB driver warning has gone and not returned.
I'm sure we'll get a fix with a firmware update 'soon' so am not particularly bothered currently.

My USB Warning comes and goes here and there...:(

john.zigmont
Heroic Explorer
I'm glad the issue will be addressed soon ? but the Rift-s should had never been released with this issue in the first place and I still believe this problem is related to the extra cable length of  the Rift-S.

RattyUK
Trustee

DEKED said:

RattyUK said:

and the USB driver warning has gone and not returned.

My USB Warning comes and goes here and there...:(

Previously if the warning was there everything worked fine, if it was green it didn't work at all without multiple restarts of the software (and the warning came back).  I'm not entirely sure which is to thank for the change as my PC 'updated' from 1709 to 1803 (I had it set to not update features for a year) at the same time Oculus put out the latest revision.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

The index is having some worse problems than oculus right now. both are having issues, and they didn't knowingly release a defective product, absolutely nothing is 100% or perfect.

If they launched the Rift S without much testing then yes they may not have seen the problems with tracking, white flashes, blank screen and some reports of controller lagg. However, if they did test it like they should have done, then I'm not sure what you mean by they didn't know. I think we are past that stage of the argument though and I just hope it doesn't happen in future VR headsets.

Maybe not everything is 100% perfect but there are standards you set yourself when selling a product. If this was something like a television with static flashing, I'm sure more people would have looked at returning it believing it to be faulty set. I don't want VR to get to a stage where we just expect there to be problems at launch and then have to wait weeks or even months for firmware fixes. It's far better to make sure everything is working as it should and then launch it.