cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

customer support sucks, go buy a vive

Max_Immelmann
Protege
well, here i am, a week later, and all i have is a $450 piece of plastic.  my rift-s got a total of 62 hours of use and then it completely failed.  no video.  got sound, no video.  unit went from having problems out of the box to complete unit failure in 4 days (62hrs of use).

being a retired vet with some PC experience from the military, i am capable of performing basic trouble shooting.  i was able to determine on my own that the unit had completely failed.  online trouble shooting provided nothing new.
so i send in a ticket to oculus requesting a replacement unit.  i also include the steps i took to try and fix the problem.  here are the replies i have received so far......

1.  unplug and plug unit back in. (this is comp 101 stuff.  even some one with out training knows to do this.  if not, they have no business owning a pc)
2.  have you updated your gpu drivers.  (they are on automatic update.  again, basic stuff i explained in my description)
3.  go to your usb settings and make sure they are not in power saving mode.  (WTF??)
4.  have you tried it on another computer.  (are you kidding me????  who trained these people?  there is no one i know within 100 miles of me that has a pc capable of running a
     VR set.  that statement alone ranks in the top 5 of the dumbest things i have ever heard in the computer world, military or civilian life.)

i compared the rift-s to the vive before purchasing.  i chose the rift over the vive because of the price.  i saved $100 which i in turn was able to use on software.  i figured the vive's better resolution was not that much better, maybe the pro, but that was WAY too much.

now i know why i saved that $100.  customer support is THE WORST!  my buddy with a vive???  her unit failed after a month of use and she got it replaced within 3 days of notifying HTC of the problem.  me???  still sitting here 6 days later with no resolution.

if you are reading thru these forums like i was, comparing and contrasting VR sets, be aware, i am NOT the only one having difficulties getting a faulty unit replaced.  my friend with the vive, she is back in VR, killing dragons, stopping invasions of foreign enemies, all the while wondering where her back up is.  at least i can get on discord still and cheer her on!!  LMFAO!! 

36 REPLIES 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
"  VR set.  that statement alone ranks in the top 5 of the dumbest things i have ever heard in the computer world, military or civilian life.)"
Your situation is not the same as all users, it was a sensible question but in your case you did not have access to another PC. It does not make it a dumb question, far from it.

Max_Immelmann
Protege

geebee666 said:

"  VR set.  that statement alone ranks in the top 5 of the dumbest things i have ever heard in the computer world, military or civilian life.)"
Your situation is not the same as all users, it was a sensible question but in your case you did not have access to another PC. It does not make it a dumb question, far from it.

sorry, but your theory holds no value.  i am a disabled vet.  my income is fixed.  i can not afford 2 pc's.  and to ask me to go roll around town, asking people if i can use their PC is just asinine.  never, in my life, have i been told to go find another PC and try your $450 piece of equipment on it.  tell ya what, how about YOU bring YOUR PC to ME???

::hits geebee666 on the nose with rolled up newspaper.::   "BAD DOG!!::

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Seriously ? As an ex member of the military myself, I'd never talk to people like that ^^^ be patient. They are extremely busy at the moment and I'm sure they will get to you asap.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable

geebee666 said:

sorry, but your theory holds no value.  i am a disabled vet.  my income is fixed.  i can not afford 2 pc's.  and to ask me to go roll around town, asking people if i can use their PC is just asinine.  never, in my life, have i been told to go find another PC and try your $450 piece of equipment on it.  tell ya what, how about YOU bring YOUR PC to ME???

::hits geebee666 on the nose with rolled up newspaper.::   "BAD DOG!!::

So because you don't have access to another pc they should not suggest a quick way to confirm the issue to anyone in case they become unreasonably upset?

By the way I am on a fixed income due to health issues as well and would be able to access a test pc if required.

This was left on my "wall" 

Max_Immelmamnn → geebee666
go hump some one else's leg, dogface.
4:35PM Comment

Not impressed with the bad dog line either:(
There will be no more replies.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Isn't the "go buy a Vive" a bit old hat nowadays? Turn to the dark side and suggest GO BUY AN INDEX!!!

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

KingBlackpixel
Expert Protege
I purchased mine through Amazon so I'd avoid these exact issues. Amazon has super responsive support and immediate refunds or exchanges.  But yeah, I agree with you Max. Also, what you'll discover is that this community is SUPER TOXIC or SUPER SENSITIVE. They don't have adequate balance at all.  I came here after taking a break from this forum's toxicity just to see if I should upgrade my Rift that I've put in storage... I'm seeing no reason to upgrade yet, too many issues reported and not enough solutions from Oculus support. I'll give them a few years... 

1 CPU: Alienware M17 R4: NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 3080 16GB GDDR6, 10th Generation Intel Core(TM) i9-10980HK (8-Core, 16MB Cache, up to 5.3GHz Max Turbo Frequency)
2nd CPU: Alienware Aurora R12: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X, 11th Gen Intel Core i9 11900KF (8-Core, 16MB Cache, 3.5GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost)

@BlackPixel if I remember right you wanted Oculus to give you reduced price to upgrade your CV1... which isn't a totally unreasonable request given that you'd bought your CV1 pretty close to the release of the S.

The problem was that you came across a bit entitled and then seemed to get increasingly angry when you didn't get the reaction you were hoping for. Unless coming to the forum just to express anger is what you wanted to do... in which case you were successful.

I'm not entirely sure where the balance of toxicity and sensitivity in that situation is though.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

geebee666 said:

sorry, but your theory holds no value.  i am a disabled vet.  my income is fixed.  i can not afford 2 pc's.  and to ask me to go roll around town, asking people if i can use their PC is just asinine. 

You can roll yourself in to a Best Buy and ask to test your Rift against one of their Oculus Ready PC's:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?id=pcat17071&st=vr+ready+pc

You can also ask to use a PC from the Microsoft Store:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/collections/vr-readypcs

The only thing asinine here is your inability to think outside the box.

Anyway to the OP... there's nothing wrong with what Oculus have asked you to try, if a friend of mine had a fault with their Rift, I'd have probably suggested the same things, especially if I didn't know what experience they have of computers in general.

And if you're not able to try the Rift on another PC, that's ok, just tell them you're not able to. Sometimes you just have to be clear and insisted without getting too worked up. It may take longer than you're happy with but it'll get resolved. Either replaced or refunded if that's what you want.

Hope it doesn't take too long.