New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Blue Marble for Oculus Rift

Comments

• DannySwishDannySwish Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hey guys, I don't suppose you could reveal how you managed to get Blue Marble to give the option to select 2880x1800 (and all of the other resolution options above 1440x900) on the Retina MacBook Pro? I'm also wondering if I could do any adjustments myself with an already built demo. Thanks in advance!
    s6n5lt.jpg
    Intel i7 4770k | GTX 980
  • rexxthunderrexxthunder Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    Thank you! This is awesome!
  • BrodieBrodie Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    Brilliant, but i'd be better able to "sit back and relax" if i didnt know in about 4 minutes i'd be dead from suffocation.
    Would you not consider something like "Plotting return route. Engaging Hibernation System. Sweet dreams commander"
  • phillyprophillypro Posts: 13
    My biggest hope is that the Blue Marble team

goes for a recreation of the scene from the 90's movie Contact with jodie foster

the capsule scene from that movie showed off some amazing colorful galaxies...and an amazing wormhole lightshow

that would be some cool art
  • TychoBraheTychoBrahe Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Hi,
    I didn't have a chance to try it yet since my Rift is still on its way, but it looks very good...!
  • MartynyuuMartynyuu Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    Very positive experience with no motion sickness :D

you should try the native resolution and after that 1080p with 8x antialias. I was impressed and then impressed again :lol:

My Playlist:
    Exogenesis-Symphonie Pt.3 - Muse <- fits surprisingly well from its duration
    Goodnight, Travel Well - The Killers
    Take Me Into Your Skin - Trentemøller
    Lotus Flower [Jacques Greene Remix]
    Wait - M83
  • First of all - brilliant!

Second - looks GREAT in 1920 x 1200!!

Third - I have to recommend 'Rosa' by Ashtar Command for a music selection.

Thank you guys for sharing this with the community. Absolutely astounding.
  • PopopinselPopopinsel Posts: 179
    Art3mis
    Parov Stelar - Mila's Dream was a perfect fit for me. Not only the melody but also the timing/pace of the song together with the visuals of this demo.

Nice demo! :)
  • OculusOpticianOculusOptician Posts: 253
    Brain Burst
    Here's my handpicked list of awesome music to try, I have also provided a guide below to get the best image possible.

M83 - Midnight City (Best Short Song)
    Joseph Trapanese - Fearful Odds (Another Best Short Song)
    M83 - Oblivion Susanne Sunfor (Best Long Song)
    BT - A Million Stars - From These Hopeful Machines Album (Vocals Actually Match Up)

Best Image Guide
    - Run Blue Marble in 1920x1200 (Best) or 1920x1080 (Good).
    - Press the space-bar to turn off the helmet in the actual game. This actually improves sharpness (much more in 1280x800 mode) and speeds up frame rates considerably.
  • AntoineRAntoineR Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    This iq one of my favorite demos (but again, I always dreamt of the day we would colonize space ;-) ), and it sure is the best way to try the Rift for the first time!

For some reason, I feel like the Silver Surfer slowly drifting through space when in Blue Marble.

And great suggestion, the end of Space Oddity perfectly fits with the end of Blue Marble. Was it an inspiration?
  • This is a demo I can't wait to try out. Everything I've seen and heard have been great.
  • ValezValez Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
    Popopinsel wrote:
    Parov Stelar - Mila's Dream was a perfect fit for me. [...]

I'd imagine The Beach would be even more perfect. Mila's Dream is almost to cheery.
  • vanfanelvanfanel Posts: 180
    Art3mis
    A couple tracks I'd recommend watching blue marble with:

Sunshine OST - Kanada's Death, pt.2 (Adagio in D Minor)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMVik3EFVn4

Superman (Krypton intro and Main Theme combined)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJENrNU7wC8
  • regularslinkyregularslinky Posts: 148
    Brain Burst
    This is one of my favorite demos, and it's always the first one I show to people trying it for the first time. It's awesome, it can actually feel pretty moving sometimes. Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings goes well and also reminds me of the intro for Homeworld :D.
  • DrwhoDrwho Posts: 7
    Hey guys I am in love with this demo and it works brilliantly with my diy rift :D , only thing i would like to see more of is stuff happening maybe a few more serious space stations (larger and more complex) the meteor i missed until recently because it goes by a bit too soon at the beginning and that I have to say its probably the most impressive of the debris if you discount the planets.

The best song i've found to work with this is Save the world by Swedish house mafia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXpdmKELE1k this song just is amazing it would be great if somebody could remix it to be in sync with whats happening but besides that its brilliant.
  • xSpektrexSpektre Posts: 80
    Hiro Protagonist
    I enjoyed Shiny Toy Gun's version of Space Oddity. My Rift arrives tomorrow, so I haven't been able to try the demo out yet (will post when I can) but Shiny Toy Gun's Major Tom always sparks my imagination.
    Order 608xx: ARRIVED!!!!!!!!!!!
  • spicy_numberspicy_number Posts: 88
    Hiro Protagonist
    This demo = hell yes
  • DadenNashDadenNash Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    This is my second favourite so far, after Rift Coaster. It works really well with 'Johan Strauss - Blue Danube'
  • AdamsImmersiveAdamsImmersive Posts: 166
    Hiro Protagonist
    Anyone else see a scrambled not-quite-black skybox? Instead of just stars, I see weird "curcuit-like" patterns of black and dark gray printed inside a giant cube. Maybe my Rift is set too bright and I'm seeing compression artifacts?

Anyway--love the asteroids!
    Morgan
    Mac OS XUnity
  • whoisonlinewhoisonline Posts: 415
    NerveGear
    Anyone else see a scrambled not-quite-black skybox? Instead of just stars, I see weird "curcuit-like" patterns of black and dark gray printed inside a giant cube. Maybe my Rift is set too bright and I'm seeing compression artifacts?

Anyway--love the asteroids!

I was getting that too when I set the resolution to low .. when its at high, I dont get that.
  • AdamsImmersiveAdamsImmersive Posts: 166
    Hiro Protagonist
    I get it no matter what Graphics Quality is set to; at Low or Medium it's worse, and at High and Very High the effect is more of a dancing moire, but still a visible cube. (I even see a bit of the world map printed faintly on the walls.) Titans of Space, for comparison, has pure black sky.
    Morgan
    Mac OS XUnity
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,006 Valuable Player
    This was greatcfun and full of potential, really was oddly scary leaving the airlock and the sense you were in space.

Oculus seems to manage to trick you so well that you are there, thank you for the fun
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • Very well done. Just wish it went on for longer. :)
  • bcrdncola wrote:
    Very well done. Just wish it went on for longer. :)

Goes on for as long as your song is :)
  • nnhoodnnhood Posts: 56
    I really really like this, I put in some Pink Floyd and Imagine Dragons. I would like a nebula, or to actually fly through those Northern Lights I see glowing on the far side of the earth. Would love to see Saturn or as others have said a space station.

Would be a wild trip to start way out and gradually make your way all the way down to earth until you splash down in the ocean.

If you pick the first song in the list does it fade to the next song automatically?
    I didn't try that.

Great Job, I think this should be on the main Oculus page really.
    Looking forward to a sequel / new version.

Thanks so much!
    Matt
  • scottpw25scottpw25 Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    I'm hoping someone can answer this question for me because I appear to be a moron. I'm trying to get Blue Marble to work on both my Macbook Pro w/retina and my Windows 7 PC. With the mac version, it is not 3d in the OR..just a dual picture.. With both the PC and OSX, I do not get head tracking.

I can't seem to figure it out. All other demos work great..
  • silentdriversilentdriver Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    what a wonderful demo! probably the best to start with when demoing the rift!

anyway...my personal music-recommendations for the demo:

M83 - Outro
    Johann Strauss II - The Blue Danube (hihi. probably the development team will implement that iconic 2001 space station from the movie in their demo)
    probably anything from the Contact Soundtrack (i know...kind of a cliche)

AND (did anybody mention this before?):

the "pale blue dot" speech of Carl Sagan himself (i know - very, very nerdy)

I really love that demo! so beautiful & relaxing!
  • bud01bud01 Posts: 169
    Hiro Protagonist
    Due to pick up my rift tommorow, I have downloaded the files but they have no extention? With out sounding totally stupid (it may become clearer tommorow once Im set up) how do you start the GwXd / Nojg files? drop them into a player?

I will be using this as my 1st demo tool.
    Looks really great just from reading and watching the videos.
  • silentdriversilentdriver Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    bud01 wrote:
    Due to pick up my rift tommorow, I have downloaded the files but they have no extention? With out sounding totally stupid (it may become clearer tommorow once Im set up) how do you start the GwXd / Nojg files? drop them into a player?

I will be using this as my 1st demo tool.
    Looks really great just from reading and watching the videos.

The only thing you got to do is to start the bluemarble.exe file within the GwXd folder. Voila. That's it!
  • bud01bud01 Posts: 169
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hi silentdriver

Ok I just fired up winrar and opened the non extention file on my desktop and low and behold there are the folders and exe.

I should be good tommorow.
    Appericate the feedbhelp.