New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Connecting to Mac

katnissalikatnissali Posts: 2
NerveGear
I use a software called Android File Transfer that has worked in the past to allow me to connect my oculus quest to my mac. I tried downloading SideQuest and began following the instructions for connecting the oculus to it. Also, I am in developer mode. The Oculus does not show up on my computer and renders non-existent, and the message for the USB Debugging is also non-existent. I tried turning off developer mode, but the Oculus still does not appear on the mac.

Comments

• puppetmaster2puppetmaster2 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Hey I’m in the same boat, can’t seem to get my Mac to connect to the quest, have debugging on and in developer mode but can’t get the usb debugging message to appear! 
    Did you have any joy?
    I also have sidequest installed but no connection.
  • puppetmaster2puppetmaster2 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I I should prob add that it does show charging when plugged in on the headset when connected to my Mac 
  • Nikki_SixxNikki_Sixx Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same here.  No luck and can't find an answer

• TheBoyWhoCouldFlyTheBoyWhoCouldFly Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Bumping this comment because I'm going through the exact same issue. Connected via a brand new USB C cable to my macbook (tried all usb ports) and the device shows charging but USB Debugging will not pop up! Going to try a windows computer tomorrow
  • SameerztrSameerztr Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Am having the same issue, its not showing debugging message neither in mac or Windows. If anyone got answer then please share it 
  • SameerztrSameerztr Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    My problem solved 
    I just restarted my Oculus quest and it got connected both in Mac and PC
  • SerpulaSerpula Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    If it’s enabled, try turning off developer mode, it’s seems to stop the permissions message from appearing in the headset for file transfer.

I have also discovered that connecting SideQuest first makes Android File Transfer work (I think it’s to do with drivers).
  • sinuousssinuouss Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    still, have this problem sadly and I can't fix it:(
  • dingofoxvrfoxdingofoxvrfox Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    it’s because you have to be running high Sierra or Mojave Mac OS X Catalina doesn’t work because it doesn’t support 32 bit drivers
  • kmitch1001kmitch1001 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Sorry to ask such a newbie question but I'm looking for a cable or adapter to connect the Quest to my Mac. The specs on the cables/adapters are confusing. Any recommendations? Thank you in advance.
  • MobikatMikeMobikatMike Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Sorry to ask such a newbie question but I'm looking for a cable or adapter to connect the Quest to my Mac. The specs on the cables/adapters are confusing. Any recommendations? Thank you in advance.

It depends on what Mac you have, if you have an older one you might need a USB C to USB A adapter. The Quest comes with a USB C cable already.
    Here's the one am using:
    (Can't post link as I am too new apparently).

NerveGear
    I have this problem too and no solution so far. MacBook Pro 2015, Catalina 10.15.2
    I have tried:
    - Reboot Mac and Quest
    - Developer Mode On
    - Developer Mode Off

Neither of the devices appear to notice the other, but the Quest does start charging when connected. I am using the cable that came with it, and a small adapter for the USB connector. It HAS worked in the past, but I have no idea why it suddenly worked (perhaps I had by chance done a special rain-dance earlier that day).
    Please note that Android File Transfer is indeed 64 bit, according to the System Report

NerveGear
    Ok mine is working now, I suspect it was because the Android File Transfer Agent hadn't been launched, that and possibly reversing the cable (hey I was getting desperate :)). I hope that helps someone in future :)
    NerveGear
    And again it isn't working. I've tried all of the various incantations, I've sacrificed goats, rain-danced, and called in a lightning strike.
    Nothing.
    The USB ports otherwise work, the Quest appears to otherwise work - but these two talking over USB? Nope.
  • MrWaverlyMrWaverly Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Any one ever have a "Gradle failure" when building? Any ideas on fixes?
  • rascalparascalpa Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I also am having the problem of connecting Quest to my MacBook pro.  I have the proper connection...changed the chord once...no luck.  Then plugged in the first chord and it worked.....the next time I tried it ....nothing...did not appear on the quest....allow download....never appears....dev mode off or on.....didnt matter.....
  • vineetkambojvineetkamboj Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I just got it working  B) 

All you need to do is install the adb drivers manually on your mac

Follow the link below to download and install the drivers using terminal (add www in the link...I cannot post links)
    xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/ 

As soon as you do that run the command adb devices and check (it should show quest as connected). Now look into your quest, allow the debugging and there you go.

If you need to check your USB connection, GoTo > About this mac > System Report > USB > One of the usb connection should show quest.

Cheers
  • iosman987iosman987 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    If it’s enabled, try turning off developer mode, it’s seems to stop the permissions message from appearing in the headset for file transfer.

I have also discovered that connecting SideQuest first makes Android File Transfer work (I think it’s to do with drivers). Thanks