Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S losing hand tracking and can't see through passthrough camera

Dapperlad
Protege
After setting up my Rift S this morning, I played for approximately
2 hours and ran into an issue in Beatsaber where my body movement was
not longer being tracked and I couldn't move my sticks anymore. I went back to the home screen and noticed that my hands were stuck to my side and all I could do was rotate my controllers in place. I was also unable to see anything through the passthrough camera as it was just static.

I've disabled USB 3.0 power management in Windows
I've
tried every USB 3.0 plug on my computer, the ones that do work now only
last for 30 seconds to 3 minutes before static screen comes back and I
lose tracking.
I've unplugged all others USB cables on my computer except keyboard and mouse.
Camera permissions are on for Windows 10
I've reseated the video cable in the headset itself.
Videocard Drivers are up to date
Windows 10 is completely up to date
Rift Firmware is up to date
I've reinstalled Oculus software and run the setup multiple times.

I've seen a few others on Reddit with the same problem. Is this a faulty batch of hardware here?
154 REPLIES 154

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

k4rst3n said:

Just got my Rift S. Set it up and everyhting worked fine. About an hour or two my hands got stuck but I could still rotate them. Also when trying passthrough it only give static. CV1 worked without any problems. Tried another USB-port and rebooted computer and then it works for a couple of minutes till the hands get stuck again and static via passthrough!

Come on, how could this be? Please tell me this is a software problem and not a hardware one.

My hands teleport above my head and in front of my face when out of view of Rift S cameras for more then 5 seconds. It's so annoying. Then I have to waive my hand about to get the hand to teleport back to the correct position. It loses tracking all the time.

It's really immersion breaking when this happens.

It's been worse since the last few patches and I'm still not sure how to fix it. Also I think in fast moving games like VR sports like Beat Saber, Audica, Creed etc it can't keep up with your fast movements.

I'm at the stage now where I just think inside/out tracking sucks.

When I first ordered Valve Index I was excited for the FOV...but now I'm excited to just go back to outside/in tracking.

I really hope Rift CV2 is Constellation tracking too, I really really hope so.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

llZADDYll
Honored Guest
I am having this same problem. I am returning this $400 dollar paper weight and getting the well reviewed and working INDEX. F oculus and its lack of customer support.

paulo1410
Explorer
After a month researching and testing I think I know what cause the bug. The insue is caused by extreme heating on usb plug and motherboard chipset that causes data losses. You can solve this problem by 1) using a external usb pci-e (compatible with rift)  OR  2) just turn on a fan next to your opened pc cabinet to avoid the heating.

jglauby
Honored Guest
I was reading through all of this because i was having the same issue. I was able to fix my issues by uninstalling it off of my physical drive and installing it back onto my main drive. I installed it on my secondary drive to save space, but my default c drive is an ssd and having oculus installed to there has seemingly fixed my issue. For now. Super hot is kinda dropping some frames but im not sure if thats just my computer or what

jglauby
Honored Guest
Update: my super hot game was installed on my secondary drive. I've reinstalled that on my ssd and not physical drive, My c drive. And now it's working with no hiccups. I've played multiple games for hours two days now and havent had any issues. So for me it definitely the drive it was installed on.

Mondogrunday
Honored Guest
same issue, mostly black screen on startup.  after playing around for literally hours, i am able to get vision (no consistant way that can easily be repeated to accomplish this)  when i get vision, my hands (controllers) are locked, usually on floor or sometimes in front of my face or even above my head. over $600 canadian for this????  i have multiple monitors.  still happens with them unplugged.  worked for like first 2-3 days no prob. windows update was added due to recommendation by oculus software to update my usb drivers.  had been absolute trash since.  can't get it to work.  sending back if they cant provide fix within days

TechScout
Honored Guest
I had this same problem, the headset would work for 10-15 min and then do that. i did all the fixes i could find and i got it to stop. if you get another and have the same problem try enrolling into the public test channel in the oculus app cuz that gives you access to newer firmware/software updates that could fix the problem. the nagain you have to run the very low risk of the updates causing new problems but that rarely happens.so yeah try doing that if ya get a new one

basedssj
Honored Guest
I'm currently having the issue now. It's frustrating as f*** I've done everything from updating ALL usb drivers that could be updated, to applying the firmware update, still gives out a few minutes into gameplay. I didn't spend 400$ to have something I can't even use. Well, here I go again doing stuff I already tried. Just gonna return it if it doesn't get fixed.

Etronge
Honored Guest
Same issue here,  comes  during the placement of the guardian and it's  really shitty. Send a ticket and waiting for an answer. For now, i'm trying to reinstall the oculus app. Already tried everything with the cables.

Fliposide
Protege
Same here. I just got my Rift S after being in VR since the start! And this is not great 😞  The image is great compared to the CV1 but the tracking is poor. Hands disappearing and pass-through just shows static, after awhile. The only way to fix is to restart the Oculus service or reboot. Also, I get so hot in this compared to the CV1, Oh and the sound is TERRIBLE. I knew it was supposed to be bad but it was so much worse than I expected. I love to play bow games but you just can't use it, as tracking is lost when the bow is drawn 😞
Is there any way to fix this tracking I ave tried all the suggested fixes but no joy.