cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

customer support sucks, go buy a vive

Max_Immelmann
Protege
well, here i am, a week later, and all i have is a $450 piece of plastic.  my rift-s got a total of 62 hours of use and then it completely failed.  no video.  got sound, no video.  unit went from having problems out of the box to complete unit failure in 4 days (62hrs of use).

being a retired vet with some PC experience from the military, i am capable of performing basic trouble shooting.  i was able to determine on my own that the unit had completely failed.  online trouble shooting provided nothing new.
so i send in a ticket to oculus requesting a replacement unit.  i also include the steps i took to try and fix the problem.  here are the replies i have received so far......

1.  unplug and plug unit back in. (this is comp 101 stuff.  even some one with out training knows to do this.  if not, they have no business owning a pc)
2.  have you updated your gpu drivers.  (they are on automatic update.  again, basic stuff i explained in my description)
3.  go to your usb settings and make sure they are not in power saving mode.  (WTF??)
4.  have you tried it on another computer.  (are you kidding me????  who trained these people?  there is no one i know within 100 miles of me that has a pc capable of running a
     VR set.  that statement alone ranks in the top 5 of the dumbest things i have ever heard in the computer world, military or civilian life.)

i compared the rift-s to the vive before purchasing.  i chose the rift over the vive because of the price.  i saved $100 which i in turn was able to use on software.  i figured the vive's better resolution was not that much better, maybe the pro, but that was WAY too much.

now i know why i saved that $100.  customer support is THE WORST!  my buddy with a vive???  her unit failed after a month of use and she got it replaced within 3 days of notifying HTC of the problem.  me???  still sitting here 6 days later with no resolution.

if you are reading thru these forums like i was, comparing and contrasting VR sets, be aware, i am NOT the only one having difficulties getting a faulty unit replaced.  my friend with the vive, she is back in VR, killing dragons, stopping invasions of foreign enemies, all the while wondering where her back up is.  at least i can get on discord still and cheer her on!!  LMFAO!! 

36 REPLIES 36

OP, I've merged this thread with your other one, as it's the same subject.

As much as it must be annoying not to have your problem solved yet, it's bad form to create multiple threads on the same subject not to mention against the rules. Please add a comment to your existing thread if needed, thanks.

(I think you've created a third thread on this subject somewhere but I'll leave that be).

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
Hi @Max_Immelmamnn - I took a look and was able to locate your ticket. Our team is indeed working through some high volume right now, but I'll check and see if there's anything that can be done to speed things up. We genuinely appreciate your patience throughout this process.

It really helps our customer support team if responses are detailed, polite, and calm. We know it's frustrating to have to troubleshoot something that isn't working, but the quicker and more accurately we can gather the required information about what's happening and what has been tried, the quicker we can get you back into VR. Ultimately, we need to make sure we're doing our due diligence in troubleshooting before we can do anything else. I appreciate your understanding on that and the team will respond as soon as they are able. Thanks.

kojack
MVP
MVP

if you are reading thru these forums, comparing and contrasting oculus to HTC, for the love of satan, BUY A VIVE!!!  cause if your oculus unit fails.............you're fuckled!!

If you read through the Vive reddit ("my buddy" isn't a statistically sufficient sample), HTC support for the Vive is widely regarded as crap.
Obviously Oculus isn't perfect either, but HTC certainly isn't the pinnacle of support.

i figured the vive's better resolution was not that much better, maybe the pro, but that was WAY too much.

The Vive is LOWER resolution.
Vive: 2160x1200
Rift-S: 2560x1440

Plus the Rift-S has full RGB subpixels (compared to pentile on the Vive).
Vive Total Subpixels: 5,184,000
Rift-S Total Subpixels: 11,059,000

(The Vive Pro has 2880x1600, but it's still pentile so the sub pixel count is only 9,216,000)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

well, this tragedy called

Called... your ability to consumer properly?

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

if you are reading thru these forums, comparing and contrasting oculus to HTC, for the love of satan, BUY A VIVE!!!  cause if your oculus unit fails.............you're fuckled!!

We on these Forums can not endorse any Lesser Deity.
lkfqzdf5arwk.png
WAAAGH!

Jeanpicasso
Explorer
Funny how some ppl thinks that the best way to go about a problem is first to register a complaint with the manufactor (this makes sence), and the go to the forum to regurgitate their discontent all over the place. Afterwards it seems that getting salty replies is a real surprise?!.. " i am capable of performing basic trouble shooting" and then being a punk when one of the troubleshooting suggestions consist of trying on another pc?. Seems like "I know how to troubleshoot" really wasn't all true huh?. 
Judging by your condescending remarks on the troubleshooting steps,  I actually dont think you know anything about troubleshooting at all.

Do you (OP) really expect the supporter to know every detail about your life? you sure sound like it.

btw. Its my guess that the majority on this forum own a rift and are pretty happy about it, so telling them that the Vive is better, seems pretty useless.

I do not agree the this forum is super toxic or sensible at all. But if you start out by being a salty douche, you really shouldn't expect to be treated like anything else.

oh,.and using caps all over the place makes you look so much more ehm..reasonable... or something.. 

falken76
Expert Consultant
Sounds like the steps they had me follow, I know more than a few people that have machines that are capable of VR because my friends are big nerds like me. Powered USB is something that caused issues in the past.  This is the standard tech support you'd get pretty much anywhere for gear like this.  I went through the same steps when I had a problem with my Rift CV1.  I just followed the steps and responded to the email, they gave me an RMA with no hassles and I only had a week left on my warranty at the time.

Did you buy your rift retail from somewhere like a Best Buy?  If so, exchange it for a new one.  Otherwise just go through the steps that we all have to go through with support.  I had my rift replaced in about a week and a half.

falken76
Expert Consultant

well, this tragedy called rift-s is now on day 9.  NINE days with my $450 plastic hat.  i got a whole 62 hours of use out of my rift-s, then the unit completely failed.

just contacted oculus.  they have NOT EVEN PROCESSED the exchange yet!!  their excuse??  due to the "excitement" of the release of our quest and rift-s, we are a bit backed up.  excitement???  there is no excitement, only frustration.  i personally know 2 people who have returned their rift-s and bought a vive because oculus took too long.

i figure, if by friday, my request has not been processed, i will just ask for my money back too and go buy a vive.  that way, at least i will have a VR headset long before oculus will EVER get around to exchanging my rift-s.

not only is my request not even processed, but then, i have to wait for a shipping label.  then i have to ship the rift-s back to oculus.  then they ship me my replacement.  satan only knows how long THIS will take!

HTC only took 3 days to replace my buddy's vive.

::shakes head in disbelief::

You're a military man?  You have the patience of a child.

You sound like this guy

eitwkgnwvu6e.jpg

jayhawk
Superstar
A vive? wth would anyone do that at this point. "go buy an Index" is probably a more fitting title at this point in time.

Max_Immelmann
Protege
well, day 10 here.  now i get told i am getting emailed my shipping label.  how am i suppose to get that on the box?  osmosis?  no printer here.  no friends with printers.  i am disabled and not mobile.  so i just can not go out and find a printer.  what does oculus tell me to do?.........

CONTACT MY LOCAL COURIER, THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO HELP

people, this is why you all should ask for refunds, do not buy their products any more.  send oculus out of business.  discriminating against disabled vets is just.......wow....i have no words.

i got a whole 62 hrs of use out of my rift-s.  now i own a $450 plastic hat, and a shipping label i can do nothing with.

if you are considering buying an oculus product, and the unit fails, you are F^$@*D.

i highly recommend you go with HTC.  my buddy got theirs replaced in 3 days.