cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

I don’t hear any noise from the light houses. 

Can you hear one base station if you're a few centimeters away from it? (Green light on) If yes, in a completely silent room, at what distance is it completely impossible to hear the base station? 

Personally I'm working on brainwashing myself to enjoy the sound of mosquitoes, or maybe more being in a small fan-less server-room... It's not quiet in the jungle either, still people survive and live long and happy lives. Soon I'll love the sound of base stations  😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Techy111 said:

Please Don’t tell me it’s the kids birthday tomorrow ?

pt42fyfgf92j.jpg

I'm getting old, don't think I know anyone on that list  😞 Maybe if I saw some faces... "Snapchat Star", is that a real thing these days?  😄

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Your parcel from Ingram Micro Netherlands DC will be delivered by Parcelforce on Thursday 25 July 2019, if this is not convenient, please click on an alternative option below:

• Please deliver to a neighbour
• Please deliver to a local Post Office for me to collect
• Please deliver on the next working day
• Please deliver on the day after the next working day

The tracking reference number of your parcel is

😮 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Your parcel from Ingram Micro Netherlands DC will be delivered by Parcelforce on Thursday 25 July 2019, if this is not convenient, please click on an alternative option below:

• Please deliver to a neighbour
• Please deliver to a local Post Office for me to collect
• Please deliver on the next working day
• Please deliver on the day after the next working day

The tracking reference number of your parcel is

😮 

Should be enough time for you to get ready for the big premiere July 26  B)  - If you can get the neighbor to give up your package 😉

https://youtu.be/rTY-TWIfRkE

Specs seem quite high though - but you probably don't have to worry 😉

RECOMMENDED:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K or AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 / AMD RX Vega 64
    • Storage: 30 GB available space
This sounds awesome, lol: "This is a VR shooter than contains Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Strong Language, and Use of Drugs.

Rift is not supported, at least not officially: 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1056970/Wolfenstein_Cyberpilot_International_Version/

Luciferous
Consultant

RuneSR2 said:

Techy111 said:

pt42fyfgf92j.jpg

I'm getting old, don't think I know anyone on that list  😞 Maybe if I saw some faces... "Snapchat Star", is that a real thing these days?  😄

You must know Matt Leblanc it’s the only one I know. ‘I’ll be there for you’

MowTin
Expert Trustee
Today I think I fixed my color static issue with the index by choosing a different port. My audio issues have improved by I'm still hearing the occasional pop. 

The controller is still there but it's not a major problem in most games.

My big problem now is these weird SDE vertical lines I see whenever I move. If I'm in that Steam VR area where the floor is a set of concentric lines and straight lines...I look at my controller. Whenever I move my controller I see the lines. When I stop the lines fade. 

I found other users with the same problem on reddit. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

Techy111 said:

pt42fyfgf92j.jpg

You must know Matt Leblanc it’s the only one I know. ‘I’ll be there for you’

You're right - it's Joey from Friends - actually never knew his real name :blush:

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just spent 2½ hours in the Index - in short it was a blast, but of course my experience is still limited. I kept the 90 Hz to keep things as similar to the CV1 as possible. SteamVR did recommend 120 Hz though.  

Also I used glasses, but did manage to pull in the lenses 1 or maybe 2 steps toward my eyes. 

Base Stations
Power management with the base stations worked. Now when I exit SteamVR they change from green to blue light and are completely silent. That was awesome. Using the Index I can't hear the base stations - at all - or didn't hear them tonight - when using the HMD. 
Tracking was perfect - or same as CV1. I tested Doom VFR, could hold guns right up to my face, behind my back, never had tracking problems - quite impressive with only 2 base stations. I also tested Vanishing Realms, which may have the best sword fighting mechanics in a VR game, everything worked perfectly (bow, sword) - just like the CV1 with 3 sensors. It seems I no longer have a problem with the base stations.

Image quality
This is where the Index shines compared to CV1 - if I'm used to CV1 ss 2.0, then Index felt like CV1 ss 5.0 - or something like that. Doom VFR was off the chart when it came to image quality - and I got 90 fps. Doom VFR used my old video settings, but seems that ss was reset to 100 %. Remember the details when picking up a statue of the monsters in the trophy room and holding it so close to the CV1 HMD that you could see all the amazing texture details that were lost when seeing distant real monsters? Now the monsters' texture details can easily be spotted several meters away. The distance where you can see clearly is massively enhanced in the Index compared to CV1 ss 2.0. I tested Arizona Sunshine, and generally it looks head and shoulders better than the CV1 ss 2.0, but the CV1 SDE does give off some magic, while the Index reveal all details and may benefit more from antialiasing in this game. But it's not big deal, I found that generally I didn't need to add any supersampling, because the image quality was already amazing - and I needed a massive amount of ss just to see a tiny difference, and the performance penalty made it not worthwhile. While I spent a lot of time getting ss and performance right on the CV1, it seems I now can just put on the Index and not care much for ss. But I need more time using the Index to examine the need for ss in certain titles. 
There's glare in some situations, but didn't notice it in Doom VFR, Vanishing Realms, V-Racer Hoverbike, Arizona Sunshine and more. It was more noticeable in SteamVR's menu system, but no big deal to me - seemed much like CV1, maybe even less in games. If I hadn't read so much about the glare I may not have noticed it (much). I haven't played very dark games yet - but did try Doom VFR as mentioned. Black levels in games were fine, it didn't bother me, but loading screens supposed to be black were more like grey. Black levels were also fine in Arizona Sunshine, Vertigo 2, Vanishing Realms and V-Racer - and there's no spud-effect like the CV1. Colors did pop nicely, but of course true OLED blacks are not possible using the Index. 

FOV
All dialed out fov seemed like CV1, not bigger, not smaller. Dialed in a step or two maybe fov was slightly bigger, but I didn't feel much difference from CV1. The sweet spot did seem smaller than CV1, although the differences weren't big - getting a perfect fit is important for optimal image quality, but that goes for the CV1 too. 

Sound quality
Sound quality is more difficult to judge using the Index, and I can now better understand the many different opinions. First, the Index bass is weaker than CV1 - there really can't be any discussion, I consider it a fact 😉 I listened to several tracks, especially in V-Racer Hoverbike, and no matter how I positioned the Index speakers it was not possible to hear the same deep bass provided by the CV1. - And of course Index can't do that with off-ear speakers, also it's probably not meant to. Still the Index does have nice bass - and the important point is that Index has higher audio fidelity than CV1. In the Index I could hear sounds and sometimes voices I never had noticed before in the CV1. The Index does a much better job at isolating different sounds, where everything was more "muddy" in the CV1. So CV1 wins when it comes to deep bass, but Index wins when it comes to fidelity and 3D sound perspective. 
Another important point is that getting optimal sound in the Index requires some effort and attention to the location of the speakers. You have to place the speakers perfectly in front of your ears, just a few millimeters off and you may lose a lot of bass and sound quality. Using the CV1 it was so easy just to put on the headphones, and it probably will be using the Index with time, but right now it does take some seconds to place to Index speakers perfectly - because you can't feel them on your ears. Using the Index you need to find the sweet spots for both vision and sound. 

Knuckles
I expected a lot of problems, but I didn't really find any. Sprinting in Arizona Sunshine should be impossible using defect Knuckles, but I had no problems sprinting. Due to the in-game sounds I didn't notice if the thumbsticks clicked or not, everything just worked. Touch is still awesome, but Knuckles seem just as great. I liked that grabbing stuff meant that you really do grab the stuff - and releasing your grip you drop the stuff again - felt quite natural, you can't do that using Touch (if you try you'll drop the controller). My hands are quite normal sized (I think), and Knuckles felt so much like Touch that I didn't notice much difference - in Arizona Sunshine I just used the thumbsticks and the buttons like using Touch. 
Pinky wasn't always perfectly tracked, but mostly. The ring finger wasn't always separated correctly from pinky, but no big deal. In general it worked great and to me seeing all your fingers improved the feeling of presence. 
Knuckles are charged much like a phone - just insert a USB Type-C connector. I charged both controllers fully and had like 70 % energy left after 2 hours, thus a full charge may last for about 6 hours. 
Knuckles feel surprising light - the strap securing a controller to your hand worked flawlessly, I never were about to drop the controller, it never slided off my hand. There're further wrist straps for safely, like on Touch, but I haven't inserted them on Knuckles, it didn't seem necessary.  
Some games like Doom VFR didn't work correctly with Knuckles - the game used controller settings for the Vive wands and needs to be updated for Knuckles - but I did manage to complete a level. Some games, even if Knuckles seem to be supported, may not yet work correctly with Knuckles. 

Comfort
Index does feel heavier than CV1, and Index is indeed much heavier. Weight wasn't a problem, but if I have to choose then CV1 wins when it comes to comfort - it may depend on your head size. 

Random troubles or technical issues
None - maybe I'm just lucky... No dead pixels, HMD didn't get hot, I didn't feel any eye strain, never lost tracking, no sound problems at all, no screen flicker, no error about disconnected HMD cable etc. - everything just worked, like using the CV1. I did see the "SDE-like vertical lines", but they didn't bother me, maybe they even worked making the image quality less pixelated. Next up 120 Hz and Revive... 

(Sorry for any spelling errors - this was a long post, it's 1:30 AM, I should be asleep by now 😉

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Any noticeable graphic improvement in flight sims if you have any to hand mate ?
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

pyroth309
Visionary
Nice impressions Rune. I pretty much agree with all of that though I did notice the larger FoV of the Index especially when going back and forth. 

With the knuckles controller, it took me a few days of messing with my hand positioning to find a spot where it worked perfectly for me. I have larger hands though but may be worth trying. I also agree that the knuckles are a lot lighter than they look and generally feel pretty good. There is some slight ergonomic issues I had as a guy with large hands and I still feel like Touch feel better in my hands but Knuckles are good enough.

Also, some games you can get knuckles to work by just remapping the buttons. Several don't work by default yet which is a shame but there was only a couple of games I couldn't get working. In SteamVR menu you need to go to settings -> Controller Binding. A lot of games have profiles that people have uploaded for everyone that you can just load or you can build a profile from scratch. 

Glad to see that your Base Stations are working out. I really loved mine and already miss them.