cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

Luciferous
Consultant
Nice first impressions Runes ?? Appreciate the effort

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Thanks Rune, this is what I was hoping for these last few days. Anyhow, the biggest revelation will be "cheerio CV1. Back in the box you go old friend".

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Seems like a step up from CV1 visually which is to be expected, but I'll pass on the Valve index until it comes down in price. I just don't think there's enough of an upgrade from the CV1 for me to slap £920 on my credit card. I'm just waiting to see what the HTC Cosmos has to offer now and at what price. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I was just thinking about the importance of first impressions - because it took me awhile to see the CV1 shortcomings, like the SDE (are there any more shortcomings? 😉 For months I was just blown away by the CV1 and Lone Echo. But I have much more experience now than two years ago and know what to look for. Going from one system to the other first impression are very important, because the most profound changes are most easily detected before you start to habituate to the new system. 
Regarding FOV, as mentioned I use glasses - made to perfectly fit the CV1, and they perfectly fit the Index too. So I had no problems using my glasses in the Index. My glasses cover the CV1 lenses nearly 1:1, and much the same goes for the Index when the lenses are all dialed out. When dialing in any increased fov would go beyond my glasses and be of little value. Using prescription Index inserts may remove this problem, but I like my glasses - and dialing out the Index lenses will give higher res at a slight cost of fov - while dialing in will decrease res but increase fov. That said I didn't notice decreased res when dialing in the lenses, because the res is high, but maybe dialing in the lenses could increase glare. Doom VFR was the first game I tried on the Index (all dialed out), I didn't notice any glare in that game, but I need to check it more thoroughly. Still the glare wasn't an issue to me - but I'm coming from the CV1 😉

BTW, I still think the CV1 is amazing - Index does feel like a different system, and I really hope that I can get CV1 and Index to work connected to the same rig. 
Right now I have all 3 CV1 sensors connected, but they are no longer detected in SteamVR. I have all the usual Oculus software running (and OTT), but it didn't seem to have any impact on the Index performance. 

Performance using GTX 1080
Vertigo 2 was solid 90 fps using the Index and all in-game graphics settings maxed out (Steam ss = 100%). I know some Index users liked the demo a lot, and it does support Knuckles perfectly - but the in-game graphics aren't impressive, several low-poly models are used - I wasn't very impressed - although it was a nice demo. 
Arizona Sunshine was mostly solid 90 fps, all settings maxed, but resolution set to 1.0 (this is in-game ss - I went to 1.5, but it was hard to see any difference, but my performance was getting quite bad).
V-Racer Hoverbike - got 45 fps like using the CV1 using the same settings - but that did include high levels of ss. I reduced shadows and got 90 fps. Looked awesome. Actually I completely forgot I've increased ss a lot for that game due to the CV1 - will try to reduce ss later and increase shadows, lol. 
Doom VFR - typically 90 fps - felt much more smooth than CV1 ever did, but this game isn't really built for the CV1.

In short, I didn't experience performance problems, many games performed better or at least similar to CV1, but I'm used to drive the CV1 quite hard using ss 2.0. Lack of ASW 2.0 may be a problem, but I haven't noticed it yet. 

For my initial Index impressions I activated SteamVR beta - and didn't update any drivers including Win10. I haven't updated Win10 for more than a year, there're few things in this world I dislike more than the forced Win10 updates, "if it works don't fix it" 😉 BTW, my GTX 1080 rig is only for VR - I don't even have office installed - that rig is cut down to the mere basics for providing best possible performance in VR games. Basically the only things I've got installed on the rig is Oculus software, Steam(VR) and games - and of course the usual Win10 apps. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Techy111 said:

Any noticeable graphic improvement in flight sims if you have any to hand mate ?

No, I didn't try real sims like flight simulators, but in V-Racer Hoverbike (the devs actually do call it a sim 😉 you could suddenly read all the dials and instruments, this would be impossible using the CV1 no matter the ss applied. 
Maybe Reverb is (much) better, but Index really looks amazing. I think the Index is about finding a balance between image quality and performance. The most important part may of course be the tracking and Knuckles, and in sims tracking may be of little importance to you - and maybe Reverb may be the better choice for you. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Thanks Rune, this is what I was hoping for these last few days. Anyhow, the biggest revelation will be "cheerio CV1. Back in the box you go old friend".

Still there's Revive, especially if it doesn't work (Stormland, Asgard's Wrath etc.) - and some users experienced Index hardware problems after a few days - so maybe a good thing to hold on to the CV1 for some months, until you're sure the Index works as it should... I still want to keep CV1, especially for the kids and exclusive games - and CV1 has been an important part of my life, don't think I'm ready for a goodbye 😉

To me Index feels a lot like the CV2 should/could have been, now Newell and Zuckerberg need to become extremely good friends, they both shared bed with Abrash already, and then Zuckerberg can say to Newell: "Newell, you're the greatest guy (no pun intended), is it OK if we directly support the Index in the Oculus Store? - It's the least we can do, you supported our Rifts from day 1"  😄  

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Seems I am able to give it more time without losing my place.

https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-index-shipping-update-backorder/

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
My CV1 has been boxed for most of this year Rune. When the 8K arrived it was shelved and when the Quest came it was put away for good. However, due to the nonsense with Defector not working I bust it out then and it just felt rather meh. My CV1 needs a new HDMI cable due to the stupid design fault kink where the weight lies (another good reason to Quest Stream). Due to the high cost of replacement cable I did a DIY job and didn't bother. With 3 alternative headsets I've tried since owning the Rift  (O+, 8K, Reverb) it does feel old-hat now although admittedly I found the sharpness much more preferable than the O+ soft image and the comfort.  I expect the Index to be way above the CV1 as you're finding.

However, will be interesting to hear your opinion on whether the increase Hz at 120/144 really improves immersion for you. Some people aren't that sensitive to it.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

Seems I am able to give it more time without losing my place.

https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-index-shipping-update-backorder/

Indeed, hopefully good news - saw it on Blue's News this morning too:

"The full Valve Index VR bundle is now available for immediate shipping in the US. Released late last month, the Valve Index VR system has been called the best VR experience currently available by numerous publications. Initial quantities were outpaced by demand so, as a result, users were asked to reserve their hardware as new kits were in production. Starting today, immediate orders are available for customers in the US and a similar announcement will be forthcoming for other US SKUs as well as those in other international territories. All prior reservations will be honored."

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
BTW, regarding base stations, I know they're both supposed to be installed as high up as possible (near the ceiling), but I followed the design in the Index setup guide = one low, one high:

3s7u9hbeesej.jpg
So the one in my back is placed near the ceiling (tilted down at the center of the play area), the one in front at knee level (tilted up at the center of the play area). Like shown above, mine are too placed in the corners of a square (one top left, the other bottom right). I didn't notice any blind spots when testing yesterday, tracking was flawless.