New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

customer support sucks, go buy a vive

Max_ImmelmannMax_Immelmann Posts: 12
Brain Burst
well, here i am, a week later, and all i have is a $450 piece of plastic.  my rift-s got a total of 62 hours of use and then it completely failed.  no video.  got sound, no video.  unit went from having problems out of the box to complete unit failure in 4 days (62hrs of use).

being a retired vet with some PC experience from the military, i am capable of performing basic trouble shooting.  i was able to determine on my own that the unit had completely failed.  online trouble shooting provided nothing new.
so i send in a ticket to oculus requesting a replacement unit.  i also include the steps i took to try and fix the problem.  here are the replies i have received so far......

1.  unplug and plug unit back in. (this is comp 101 stuff.  even some one with out training knows to do this.  if not, they have no business owning a pc)
2.  have you updated your gpu drivers.  (they are on automatic update.  again, basic stuff i explained in my description)
3.  go to your usb settings and make sure they are not in power saving mode.  (WTF??)
4.  have you tried it on another computer.  (are you kidding me????  who trained these people?  there is no one i know within 100 miles of me that has a pc capable of running a
     VR set.  that statement alone ranks in the top 5 of the dumbest things i have ever heard in the computer world, military or civilian life.)

i compared the rift-s to the vive before purchasing.  i chose the rift over the vive because of the price.  i saved $100 which i in turn was able to use on software.  i figured the vive's better resolution was not that much better, maybe the pro, but that was WAY too much.

now i know why i saved that $100.  customer support is THE WORST!  my buddy with a vive???  her unit failed after a month of use and she got it replaced within 3 days of notifying HTC of the problem.  me???  still sitting here 6 days later with no resolution.

if you are reading thru these forums like i was, comparing and contrasting VR sets, be aware, i am NOT the only one having difficulties getting a faulty unit replaced.  my friend with the vive, she is back in VR, killing dragons, stopping invasions of foreign enemies, all the while wondering where her back up is.  at least i can get on discord still and cheer her on!!  LMFAO!! 

Comments

• geebee666geebee666 Posts: 224
    Nexus 6
    edited July 2019
    "  VR set.  that statement alone ranks in the top 5 of the dumbest things i have ever heard in the computer world, military or civilian life.)"
    Your situation is not the same as all users, it was a sensible question but in your case you did not have access to another PC. It does not make it a dumb question, far from it.
  • Max_ImmelmannMax_Immelmann Posts: 12
    Brain Burst
    geebee666 said:
    "  VR set.  that statement alone ranks in the top 5 of the dumbest things i have ever heard in the computer world, military or civilian life.)"
    Your situation is not the same as all users, it was a sensible question but in your case you did not have access to another PC. It does not make it a dumb question, far from it.

sorry, but your theory holds no value.  i am a disabled vet.  my income is fixed.  i can not afford 2 pc's.  and to ask me to go roll around town, asking people if i can use their PC is just asinine.  never, in my life, have i been told to go find another PC and try your $450 piece of equipment on it.  tell ya what, how about YOU bring YOUR PC to ME???

::hits geebee666 on the nose with rolled up newspaper.::   "BAD DOG!!::
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,736 Volunteer Moderator
    Seriously ? As an ex member of the military myself, I'd never talk to people like that ^^^ be patient. They are extremely busy at the moment and I'm sure they will get to you asap.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• geebee666geebee666 Posts: 224
    Nexus 6
    edited July 2019
    geebee666 said:

sorry, but your theory holds no value.  i am a disabled vet.  my income is fixed.  i can not afford 2 pc's.  and to ask me to go roll around town, asking people if i can use their PC is just asinine.  never, in my life, have i been told to go find another PC and try your $450 piece of equipment on it.  tell ya what, how about YOU bring YOUR PC to ME???

::hits geebee666 on the nose with rolled up newspaper.::   "BAD DOG!!::
    So because you don't have access to another pc they should not suggest a quick way to confirm the issue to anyone in case they become unreasonably upset?

By the way I am on a fixed income due to health issues as well and would be able to access a test pc if required.

This was left on my "wall" 

Max_Immelmamnn → geebee666
    go hump some one else's leg, dogface.
    4:35PM Comment

Not impressed with the bad dog line either:(
    There will be no more replies.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,132 Valuable Player
    Isn't the "go buy a Vive" a bit old hat nowadays? Turn to the dark side and suggest GO BUY AN INDEX!!!

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • BlackPixel_BlackPixel_ Posts: 99
    Hiro Protagonist
    I purchased mine through Amazon so I'd avoid these exact issues. Amazon has super responsive support and immediate refunds or exchanges.  But yeah, I agree with you Max. Also, what you'll discover is that this community is SUPER TOXIC or SUPER SENSITIVE. They don't have adequate balance at all.  I came here after taking a break from this forum's toxicity just to see if I should upgrade my Rift that I've put in storage... I'm seeing no reason to upgrade yet, too many issues reported and not enough solutions from Oculus support. I'll give them a few years... 

MSI X299 PRO / Intel® Core i7-9800X 8 Core W/HYPERTHREADING 3.5GHZ-4.40 TURBO / 32GB Extreme DDR4 2666MHz Memory / RTX 2070 SUPER / 

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,483 Valuable Player
    edited July 2019
    geebee666 said:

sorry, but your theory holds no value.  i am a disabled vet.  my income is fixed.  i can not afford 2 pc's.  and to ask me to go roll around town, asking people if i can use their PC is just asinine. 

You can roll yourself in to a Best Buy and ask to test your Rift against one of their Oculus Ready PC's:
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?id=pcat17071&st=vr+ready+pc

You can also ask to use a PC from the Microsoft Store:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/collections/vr-readypcs

The only thing asinine here is your inability to think outside the box.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,822 Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2019

Anyway to the OP... there's nothing wrong with what Oculus have asked you to try, if a friend of mine had a fault with their Rift, I'd have probably suggested the same things, especially if I didn't know what experience they have of computers in general.

And if you're not able to try the Rift on another PC, that's ok, just tell them you're not able to. Sometimes you just have to be clear and insisted without getting too worked up. It may take longer than you're happy with but it'll get resolved. Either replaced or refunded if that's what you want.

Hope it doesn't take too long.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.330)
  • VortimousVortimous Posts: 64
    Brain Burst

There is nothing wrong with asking you to try it on another PC.  You may have the capability and you may not.  Just because you don't doesn't mean its a bad idea.....  Let me present it from another view because I am having same issues.  Let me explain WHY they asked you to do this...

I bought my Rift S on day 1 and it has worked fine since day 1.  No major issues, can run everything.  A week ago, windows 10 rolled an update.  Once that update dropped my rift S went from working to giving me the USB needs updating (even though they are up to date) and worse, my headset wont turn on at all.  It is a dead black screen and I get a notification saying its a hardware error and it wont power on.  I have two kids, each with a older gaming PC.  While not exactly VR ready, I decided to remove my rift s from my pc and load it up on one of theirs.  I installed the soft ware and connected it.  BOOM, it came on and works.  SO now I know it isn't broken and its a issue with my PC (a driver or software issue)  SO by connecting to another PC they have eliminated the fact that it is BROKEN.  It works, it just something now they have to figure out on their and windows end.  To take it a step further, I replaced it back on my PC, still broke, wont come on.  But I know it works because of setting it up on another PC.  I then read on the forums about an issue with your windows user name possibly having special characters in it that will mess it up.  Since most windows 10 users have to use their Microsoft accounts to log in (which is an email address so it has @ and periods in the name) I decided to create another easy windows user name with admin rights.  I made a dummy account on my PC and named it simple name like Tony. I didn't use a Microsoft account, I used NONmicrosoft account when I created it.  Guess what, the RIft S plugged into the same ports under the Tony user name works and I can play all my games.  Logg out and back to my main account (where it was working since day 1) it says it has a hardware error and wont turn on.  Same PC, just  a different user name, same ports, same PC, same rift S.  SO it does work under an easy log in name, just not my main which tells me its def a software, driver, or windows update issue.  I let tech support know, but have not heard back.  I hope they are fixing it.

So before you think that is the stupidest idea you have heard of, they are just trying to trouble shoot to see if it is really broken or something else... Like what I just described.  I understand you don't have the means to run it on another PC, not everyone does... but that doesn't mean it cant be done.  They are just looking to trouble shoot and hopefully you are having the same issue I am having and they will have a fix soon.  But until then, I am dead in the water unless I want to log into my dummy account just to play.  Give it a try, maybe it will fix it for you  too... or at least tell you if your VR is still working or not.  Or it could be you dropped it and it truly is broken.... 

• edmgedmg Posts: 1,158
    Wintermute
    edited July 2019
    OP has clearly never read the horror stories about HTC's customer support.
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,722 Valuable Player
    All VR customer service is difficult to deal with.
    If you wish to try another headset go for it.

But the questions didnt seem off man.
    Usb ports should be kept from going to sleep its a simple configuration check under device settings.

Also dont go off on folks here there are many military and ex military here myself inculded 23 years and counting.
    WAAAGH!
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 810
    3Jane
    If you give us some info on your PC specs then maybe we can help you fid the problem, lot of people here have a lot of experience with VR and the many problems it can throw up due to the unlimited diversity that is PC hardware.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,190
    Wintermute
    Whoever thinks this community is toxic has missed out on the real deal as this site is all sweetness and light in comparison to some games fora...  Or even a Narrowboat one I used to frequent...

I've only 40 years in IT and am still learning.

OP, ask for a refund then decide what you are going to do, but do remember that the people you deal with in the organisation are employees, just as you were once :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,529 Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2019
    Oculus will replace your headset if it is indeed faulty, but they first need to establish whether that is necessary. Black screen with sound is usually indicative of a problem on your PC, thus the questions.

Your drivers.., you said they’re on automatic update. Do you mean through Windows update? Those are always months behind, so if that’s the case, you should update directly from Nvidia or AMD.

USB power settings can get set back to allowing them to be turned off to save power whenever Windows gets a major update. This can cause the issue you’re experiencing, so it’s worth checking. 

Testing the headset on another PC (if possible) is a useful early step to quickly rule out (or substantiate) the idea that the headset is broken. It may not be convenient in your case, but it’s a good suggestion because it can save a lot of time that might be wasted troubleshooting the wrong thing. 

Also, I’m not sure how on-point your research was, because the Vive doesn’t have higher resolution then Rift S (it has the same res as Rift CV1, which is lower than Rift S). 

It’s one thing to claim you know what you’re doing, but they still need to go through the basic troubleshooting steps before paying for a new headset to replace one that was previously working. Something changed, and odds are it’s something on your PC rather than the headset itself. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    Brain Burst
    well, this tragedy called rift-s is now on day 9.  NINE days with my $450 plastic hat.  i got a whole 62 hours of use out of my rift-s, then the unit completely failed.

just contacted oculus.  they have NOT EVEN PROCESSED the exchange yet!!  their excuse??  due to the "excitement" of the release of our quest and rift-s, we are a bit backed up.  excitement???  there is no excitement, only frustration.  i personally know 2 people who have returned their rift-s and bought a vive because oculus took too long.

i figure, if by friday, my request has not been processed, i will just ask for my money back too and go buy a vive.  that way, at least i will have a VR headset long before oculus will EVER get around to exchanging my rift-s.

not only is my request not even processed, but then, i have to wait for a shipping label.  then i have to ship the rift-s back to oculus.  then they ship me my replacement.  satan only knows how long THIS will take!

HTC only took 3 days to replace my buddy's vive.

::shakes head in disbelief::

if you are reading thru these forums, comparing and contrasting oculus to HTC, for the love of satan, BUY A VIVE!!!  cause if your oculus unit fails.............you're fuckled!!
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 500
    Neo
    ok
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,313 Valuable Player
    All HTC headsets suck balls. Have you tried to contact Oculus support again?

@OculusSupport do your job and help this guy out!!!!!!
  • VortimousVortimous Posts: 64
    Brain Burst
    Oh look... its you again....
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,822 Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2019

OP, I've merged this thread with your other one, as it's the same subject.

As much as it must be annoying not to have your problem solved yet, it's bad form to create multiple threads on the same subject not to mention against the rules. Please add a comment to your existing thread if needed, thanks.

(I think you've created a third thread on this subject somewhere but I'll leave that be).

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.330)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,482 Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2019

if you are reading thru these forums, comparing and contrasting oculus to HTC, for the love of satan, BUY A VIVE!!!  cause if your oculus unit fails.............you're fuckled!!
    If you read through the Vive reddit ("my buddy" isn't a statistically sufficient sample), HTC support for the Vive is widely regarded as crap.
    Obviously Oculus isn't perfect either, but HTC certainly isn't the pinnacle of support.

i figured the vive's better resolution was not that much better, maybe the pro, but that was WAY too much.
    The Vive is LOWER resolution.
    Vive: 2160x1200
    Rift-S: 2560x1440

Plus the Rift-S has full RGB subpixels (compared to pentile on the Vive).
    Vive Total Subpixels: 5,184,000
    Rift-S Total Subpixels: 11,059,000

(The Vive Pro has 2880x1600, but it's still pentile so the sub pixel count is only 9,216,000)

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,483 Valuable Player
    well, this tragedy called

Called... your ability to consumer properly?
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,722 Valuable Player

We on these Forums can not endorse any Lesser Deity.

WAAAGH!
  • JeanpicassoJeanpicasso Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    Funny how some ppl thinks that the best way to go about a problem is first to register a complaint with the manufactor (this makes sence), and the go to the forum to regurgitate their discontent all over the place. Afterwards it seems that getting salty replies is a real surprise?!.. " i am capable of performing basic trouble shooting" and then being a punk when one of the troubleshooting suggestions consist of trying on another pc?. Seems like "I know how to troubleshoot" really wasn't all true huh?. 
    Judging by your condescending remarks on the troubleshooting steps,  I actually dont think you know anything about troubleshooting at all.

Do you (OP) really expect the supporter to know every detail about your life? you sure sound like it.

btw. Its my guess that the majority on this forum own a rift and are pretty happy about it, so telling them that the Vive is better, seems pretty useless.

I do not agree the this forum is super toxic or sensible at all. But if you start out by being a salty douche, you really shouldn't expect to be treated like anything else.

oh,.and using caps all over the place makes you look so much more ehm..reasonable... or something.. 

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,901 Valuable Player
    Sounds like the steps they had me follow, I know more than a few people that have machines that are capable of VR because my friends are big nerds like me. Powered USB is something that caused issues in the past.  This is the standard tech support you'd get pretty much anywhere for gear like this.  I went through the same steps when I had a problem with my Rift CV1.  I just followed the steps and responded to the email, they gave me an RMA with no hassles and I only had a week left on my warranty at the time.

Did you buy your rift retail from somewhere like a Best Buy?  If so, exchange it for a new one.  Otherwise just go through the steps that we all have to go through with support.  I had my rift replaced in about a week and a half.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,901 Valuable Player
    well, this tragedy called rift-s is now on day 9.  NINE days with my $450 plastic hat.  i got a whole 62 hours of use out of my rift-s, then the unit completely failed.

just contacted oculus.  they have NOT EVEN PROCESSED the exchange yet!!  their excuse??  due to the "excitement" of the release of our quest and rift-s, we are a bit backed up.  excitement???  there is no excitement, only frustration.  i personally know 2 people who have returned their rift-s and bought a vive because oculus took too long.

i figure, if by friday, my request has not been processed, i will just ask for my money back too and go buy a vive.  that way, at least i will have a VR headset long before oculus will EVER get around to exchanging my rift-s.

not only is my request not even processed, but then, i have to wait for a shipping label.  then i have to ship the rift-s back to oculus.  then they ship me my replacement.  satan only knows how long THIS will take!

HTC only took 3 days to replace my buddy's vive.

::shakes head in disbelief::

You're a military man?  You have the patience of a child.

You sound like this guy

• jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 825
    3Jane
    A vive? wth would anyone do that at this point. "go buy an Index" is probably a more fitting title at this point in time.
    Brain Burst
    well, day 10 here.  now i get told i am getting emailed my shipping label.  how am i suppose to get that on the box?  osmosis?  no printer here.  no friends with printers.  i am disabled and not mobile.  so i just can not go out and find a printer.  what does oculus tell me to do?.........

CONTACT MY LOCAL COURIER, THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO HELP

people, this is why you all should ask for refunds, do not buy their products any more.  send oculus out of business.  discriminating against disabled vets is just.......wow....i have no words.

i got a whole 62 hrs of use out of my rift-s.  now i own a $450 plastic hat, and a shipping label i can do nothing with.

if you are considering buying an oculus product, and the unit fails, you are F^$@*D.

i highly recommend you go with HTC.  my buddy got theirs replaced in 3 days.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,529 Volunteer Moderator
    You'll have to leave the house to ship the headset back. Take the emailed shipping label (on your phone) with you to the UPS store, and they can probably print the label there.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
This discussion has been closed.