cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

MowTin
Expert Trustee

RuneSR2 said:

I did see the "SDE-like vertical lines", but they didn't bother me, maybe they even worked making the image quality less pixelated. Next up 120 Hz and Revive... 

(Sorry for any spelling errors - this was a long post, it's 1:30 AM, I should be asleep by now 😉

You cofirm that you see those vertical lines when the image moves?

A lot of people have this issues. Some in one eye and some in both eyes. I have it slightly more in one eye than the other. If you exchange the Index your replacement will have the same issue. 

I think I'm going to refund. The Index has great sound, better FOV but the SDE is greater in the Index because of this issue. But it's a trade off. The Index has slightly better clarity and much better FOV than the Rift but it has more SDE.

Also, I prefer the Rift-S tracking. The inside out tracking makes it so I can even go under my desk to pick something up. With cameras or sensors there is always some way where my chair or furniture blocks the sensors. 

It doesn't make sense for me to spend $1k for more SDE. 

I'll give it a bit more time before I make up my mind. I'm really disappointed though. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

MowTin
Expert Trustee

Techy111 said:

Any noticeable graphic improvement in flight sims if you have any to hand mate ?

I tried IL-2. The FOV increase really benefits flight sims and racing sims. In terms of clarity it's not better than the Rift-S and I think the Rift-S colors are more vibrant.

Usually, IL-2 is so demanding that on the Rift-S it can't hit a stable 80fps. So I get 40 fps. On the Index I set it to 120Hz and was getting 60fps. So that's a huge framerate increase for IL-2 for me. But too bad I'm having this SDE issue. 

MowTin
Expert Trustee

@MowTin

I don’t see any SDE lines on my HMD. What global resolution you using? I’m set at around 2700 or around 148% on the SteamVR slider.

I have seen a difference in performance when using the external cameras using different USB sockets. But luckily my motherboard has USB 3.1 so I make sure I use that. 

I’m pretty confident using my Index, everything just works. 

I left everything at 100%. I'll try supersampling. 

It could also be some mysterious display port issue. Switching displayports fixed my colorful static problem. Maybe a different port will fix this issue as well. I'll also try some different USB. 

Evileyes
Rising Star
MowTin I was right there with you on returning it. After more tweaking and testing different settings, I turned the corner and never looked back. I get what you're saying in regards to SDE, but once I get into game. It seems to fade out for me. I'm loving this HMD, my Vive Pro has been shelved. I have to say though, wireless coupled with the comfort and clarity of the Vive Pro (its like your pillow put you into a headlock)  I think the difference is the 120hz its so close though, its annoying. Whatever the case may be, I use the Index more so, I think that speaks volumes. I will not get rid of my Pro just yet though.
i9 10900k @ 5200Mhz, 32GB ram, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Need a Tesla? Here is a free 1000 miles in supercharging!
https://ts.la/mark56706

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

MowTin said:

Techy111 said:

Any noticeable graphic improvement in flight sims if you have any to hand mate ?

I tried IL-2. The FOV increase really benefits flight sims and racing sims. In terms of clarity it's not better than the Rift-S and I think the Rift-S colors are more vibrant.

Usually, IL-2 is so demanding that on the Rift-S it can't hit a stable 80fps. So I get 40 fps. On the Index I set it to 120Hz and was getting 60fps. So that's a huge framerate increase for IL-2 for me. But too bad I'm having this SDE issue. 

How can you be getting 60fps at 120Hz on the Valve index and only getting 40fps on Rift S, which is a lower resolution headset running at 80Hz?

MowTin
Expert Trustee

RedRizla said:

How can you be getting 60fps at 120Hz on the Valve index and only getting 40fps on Rift S, which is a lower resolution headset running at 80Hz?

If you're on the Rift-S and your app is too demanding to hit the 80 fps. ASW will sample every other frame...40 frames and guess on the in between 40 frames. 

Since Index is running at 120Hz...it's trying to deliver 120 fps. If your app can't make it, it will sample 60 frames and guess the other 60. 

Anyone feel free to correct me. But when my VR apps can't hit the 80 fps rate, it drops to 40 fps. In the CV1 the target was 90 fps and the drop was to 45fps. With the Index, if I target 120fps, I get dropped to 60 fps. 

With IL-2 it really can only hit around 60 fps in my PC. The game is CPU limited. I need to upgrade to a i7 8700k or 9900k.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

MowTin said:

Techy111 said:

Let's say his rig is able to do 65 fps, on the Rift-S this would translate into 40 fps asw 2.0, because you can't hit the 80 fps. On the Index you can't get the 120 fps, but you can acheive 60 fps x 2. 
Using 144 Hz on the Index you may be able to switch between 72 and 144 fps. Let's say your rig can do 78 fps - using 90 Hz you'd get 45 fps x 2, while using Index 144 Hz you'd get 72 fps x 2, so higher hz may cause significant performance boosts depending on the situation. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

MowTin said:

RedRizla said:

If you're on the Rift-S and your app is too demanding to hit the 80 fps. ASW will sample every other frame...40 frames and guess on the in between 40 frames. 

Since Index is running at 120Hz...it's trying to deliver 120 fps. If your app can't make it, it will sample 60 frames and guess the other 60. 

Anyone feel free to correct me. But when my VR apps can't hit the 80 fps rate, it drops to 40 fps. In the CV1 the target was 90 fps and the drop was to 45fps. With the Index, if I target 120fps, I get dropped to 60 fps. 

With IL-2 it really can only hit around 60 fps in my PC. The game is CPU limited. I need to upgrade to a i7 8700k or 9900k.

I write too slow on my phone, lol 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Btw, always using 144 Hz and maybe more or less limiting fps to 2 x 72 in all demanding games may not sound bad, after all Quest is 72 hz. But normally 72 x 2 will cause some "ghosting" effect due to rendering each image twice, compared to the ultra-clear 144 hz. And 90 fps x 1 may therefore provide much better image quality than 72 x 2 - which may be something to consider. 

MowTin
Expert Trustee

RuneSR2 said:

Btw, always using 144 Hz and maybe more or less limiting fps to 2 x 72 in all demanding games may not sound bad, after all Quest is 72 hz. But normally 72 x 2 will cause some "ghosting" effect due to rendering each image twice, compared to the ultra-clear 144 hz. And 90 fps x 1 may therefore provide much better image quality than 72 x 2 - which may be something to consider. 

Interesting. And 144 Herz is so fast that much changes from one frame to the next. I'll test playing everything at 144.