cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

MowTin said:

RuneSR2 said:

I did see the "SDE-like vertical lines", but they didn't bother me, maybe they even worked making the image quality less pixelated. Next up 120 Hz and Revive... 

(Sorry for any spelling errors - this was a long post, it's 1:30 AM, I should be asleep by now 😉

You cofirm that you see those vertical lines when the image moves?

A lot of people have this issues. Some in one eye and some in both eyes. I have it slightly more in one eye than the other. If you exchange the Index your replacement will have the same issue. 

I think I'm going to refund. The Index has great sound, better FOV but the SDE is greater in the Index because of this issue. But it's a trade off. The Index has slightly better clarity and much better FOV than the Rift but it has more SDE.

Also, I prefer the Rift-S tracking. The inside out tracking makes it so I can even go under my desk to pick something up. With cameras or sensors there is always some way where my chair or furniture blocks the sensors. 

It doesn't make sense for me to spend $1k for more SDE. 

I'll give it a bit more time before I make up my mind. I'm really disappointed though. 

Maybe it's not the same thing, the lines I see are extremely faint, not sure the average vr user would ever notice them. If it's the same thing then I'm not bothered by it - at least not for now. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I can confirm PCARS 2 is quite comparable to the Reverb in terms of visuals. Again 120Hz wins again though in terms of overall smoothness. Close-up details are lovely, can read all of the text without squinting. 

What are these lines you speak of, any specific place to spot them?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Just played some skyrim and it's very hard to say how much clearer the Reverb is to be honest which can only mean they are closer than one imagines. Up-close detail is superb on the  index to the point where it's much better than the Pimax 8K and CV1 and of course better than Quest streaming by quite a large margin. The FOV is quite nice as well. I can see now why some people the Index grew on them over time. I'll try PCARS 2 and if the distance details look good then I would start to believe the index is a good alternative to Reverb.  Again, in Skyrim the smooth locomotion is pretty awesome. You notice right away. Obviously I am a 2080Ti i9 9900K user here which helps a lot. It genuinely feels like Xmas morning here right now around 35 years ago (quite a bit warmer though). Oh and yes I notice the headset getting warm/hot.

@RedRizla tough call as the more I play with the Index the less-likely.

Thanks for the intensive testing, missus must be out or very understanding 😉 Seems like we're on the same page with the Index, thus it's not perfect, but probably the best VR solution at the moment. 

Now we just need HLVR, lol.

Ps. Leopard print is extremely interesting, can you zoom out a bit?

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

I can confirm PCARS 2 is quite comparable to the Reverb in terms of visuals. Again 120Hz wins again though in terms of overall smoothness. Close-up details are lovely, can read all of the text without squinting. 

What are these lines you speak of, any specific place to spot them?

To me it looked like some sort of interlacing effect, like an old crt tv, only noticed it once or twice when walking on the tiles in SteamVR Home (90 hz), maybe checking the sky in the default home. Compared to the massive SDE in CV1 it was nothing.

Evileyes
Rising Star
I would also like to state, Ive had zero luck with 144hz.. Basically when I switch to that setting, the overall visuals get blurry, and what I mean by that is, menus and the overall visuals blur up some.  When I switch back to 120hz, it all becomes clear.
i9 10900k @ 5200Mhz, 32GB ram, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Need a Tesla? Here is a free 1000 miles in supercharging!
https://ts.la/mark56706

MowTin
Expert Trustee

This is what the issue looks like for me. It's more pronounced in one eye than the other. In the other eye it's so faint you can barely notice it. 

One user had a friend who said he didn't have the issue but when he went to test his friend's index, he saw it. Some people don't notice it. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/c8ehs1/problem_with_index_vertical_lines/

Another picture from the thread...

i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Bloody hell, that looks AWFUL 😮

pyroth309
Visionary
Wow...I never saw anything like that and I analyzed every millimeter of my screen while playing. It must have been too subtle for me to see if it was there. It says turning the head makes it visible in that thread, how so? If you look left or right you can see it while the head is in motion? 

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Don't see that on mine at all looks like a defective unit imo.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

pyroth309
Visionary

Don't see that on mine at all looks like a defective unit imo.

Yea that's what I'm thinking. This thing sure seems to have a lot of defective units.