cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S USB driver update recommended warning

philrlee
Explorer
My Rift S has been working well all week. Today it has started showing an orange indicator in the Devices section. In there it displays the warning:

USB driver update recommended

When I go into the headset it has a warning triangle next to USB. When I hover over the ? it shows the following tooltip:

Your headset is plugged in correctly. If you encounter tracking issues, updating your driver (Intel) may improve performance.

I have made now changes to the PC so don't understand why this message is suddenly being displayed. All my USB drivers are up to date so I'm at a loss on how to fix it. I am currently opted into the PTC and have 1.38.0.256587 installed.
86 REPLIES 86

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer

Initial-D said:

Initial-D said:

So on the ASRock Z370 Pro4 board, I enabled Thunderbolt (which presumably only affects USB-C) and this caused the indicator in Oculus Software to turn green. I don't know exactly what changes internally on the board because the Rift S is still plugged in a standard USB 3 port, but it appears to have worked. I'm not sure if this applies to other boards, but it may have something to do with how the USB ports get initialized or what they advertise to support when Oculus probes them to read their capabilities. Interesting find nonetheless since I did not update any drivers..

How did you do that? 

From the UEFI bios settings of my motherboard. But I should note that nothing changes performance wise the Rift S works the same as before

This worked for me. Also I noticed that Oculus Home performance increased to high graphics from medium. Devices all green.

Johnnie-D
Honored Guest

Initial-D said:

Initial-D said:

So on the ASRock Z370 Pro4 board, I enabled Thunderbolt (which presumably only affects USB-C) and this caused the indicator in Oculus Software to turn green. I don't know exactly what changes internally on the board because the Rift S is still plugged in a standard USB 3 port, but it appears to have worked. I'm not sure if this applies to other boards, but it may have something to do with how the USB ports get initialized or what they advertise to support when Oculus probes them to read their capabilities. Interesting find nonetheless since I did not update any drivers..

How did you do that? 

From the UEFI bios settings of my motherboard. But I should note that nothing changes performance wise the Rift S works the same as before

This worked for me. Also I noticed that Oculus Home performance increased to high graphics from medium. Devices all green.

Correlation rather than causation 
Oculus app version 1.39.0.265772
Rift S 1.8.0 - Touch 1.12.1 - Windows 10 (1903)

I'm pretty sure this is caused by the USB extensible host drivers dated 19th June and came with the v1903 18362.239 Windows update.

Unfortunately I've deleted my Windows upgrade folder now, I usually keep a copy for a couple months but for some reason I was feeling optimistic enough to free up SSD space.

Otherwise I could have reverted back to the previous drivers. I've been searching for those on the web to test out but so far it's proving impossible to track them down.

Anyway, I'm just ignoring the update advisory as it's probably just there because Oculus haven't updated their preferred driver list.

lensmandave
Superstar

I'm pretty sure this is caused by the USB extensible host drivers dated 19th June and came with the v1903 18362.239 Windows update.

Unfortunately I've deleted my Windows upgrade folder now, I usually keep a copy for a couple months but for some reason I was feeling optimistic enough to free up SSD space.

Otherwise I could have reverted back to the previous drivers. I've been searching for those on the web to test out but so far it's proving impossible to track them down.

Anyway, I'm just ignoring the update advisory as it's probably just there because Oculus haven't updated their preferred driver list.

Yep, I think you are right. I've never seen the USB warning since having the Rift S, but yesterday I updated to 1903 and up it popped. Just the warning, everything is performing perfectly though. 🙂
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

clemenca
Protege
The usb warning was gone on Tuesday with 1.39 home and firmware update, then
on wendnes day comes MS update kb4512937 and the usb warning was back again. I am on
the latest usb intel driver for my tuf z390 mainboard released bei Asus
on 22.07.19. (V10.1.18019.8144)
Also i get a new warning that my default audio device isnt Rift S audio device...
w5het0be922o.jpg

ExDeusMachina
Explorer

clemenca said:

The usb warning was gone on Tuesday with 1.39 home and firmware update, then
on wendnes day comes MS update kb4512937 and the usb warning was back again. I am on
the latest usb intel driver for my tuf z390 mainboard released bei Asus
on 22.07.19. (V10.1.18019.8144)
Also i get a new warning that my default audio device isnt Rift S audio device...
w5het0be922o.jpg

Got exactly the same issue.

ExDeusMachina
Explorer

Sadly still got the problem at the setup. USB 3.0 wont be detected. Already changed the power supply from 500W to 700W - no change.
Intel Drivers installed
Tried your method
All Windows updates done 

not c
9d1jao1bntoe.png

sraura
Heroic Explorer

Sadly still got the problem at the setup. USB 3.0 wont be detected. Already changed the power supply from 500W to 700W - no change.
Intel Drivers installed
Tried your method
All Windows updates done 

not c
9d1jao1bntoe.png

If you have thunderbolt setting in UEFI bios settings - try to enable that - even if you're not using your possible USB-C port. If that was not it, other USB related things to try can be found from here.

ExDeusMachina
Explorer

sraura said:

Intel Drivers installed
Tried your method
All Windows updates done 

not c
9d1jao1bntoe.png

If you have thunderbolt setting in UEFI bios settings - try to enable that - even if you're not using your possible USB-C port. If that was not it, other USB related things to try can be found from here.

Sadly it didn't work neither. I think I have to wait for an update. Also will try it with a PCIe card.

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer
Yeah, I did the whole uninstall in safe mode delete all oculus folders blah blah blah AGAIN. Same boat. Just sitting tight awaiting an Oculus fix. It's definitely software. Windows 10 BTW