cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S Static / White Flashing + Win 7 Hotfix now live for All Users

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
UPDATE 7/29/19: For those Windows 7 users who have been having issues since receiving the 1.39 update, this 1.39 hotfix is now live for all users (not just PTC) and should correct the Windows 7 compatibility issue as well in addition to the static flashing behavior. In order to receive this update please perform a repair install of the Oculus software. On the off chance that the repair install does not remedy the situation, uninstalling the Oculus software, downloading the latest Oculus setup executable from Oculus.com, and performing a fresh install should resolve the issue.

As a reminder, we updated the minimum spec for the Oculus software to Windows 10 last year. We strongly encourage all Windows 7 users to upgrade to Windows 10 as soon as possible to prevent future compatibility issues and enable full Rift and Rift S functionality.

If you encounter any further issues, please be sure to utilize the help center > provide feedback option within the Oculus software and/or contact customer support. Thanks!

-------------------
UPDATE 7/25/19: Hi everyone - I have some good news to share! We're pushing out a PTC update for 1.39 today that includes an expected fix for the static flashing behavior on Rift S. In order to receive and test this update, please opt into the public test channel by going to Settings > Beta and ticking the box for Public Test Channel within the Oculus desktop software (if you are not already opted in). You should receive the new PTC build update shortly after you have opted in. Once downloaded, please give it a test and let us know how it goes! Assuming everything looks good on the PTC, we'll get this update pushed out everyone on the live channel as soon as possible.

As with any update, it's important to report any issues you encounter by utilizing the Help Center > Provide Feedback tool. Thanks again for your patience while we debugged this behavior and worked on a software resolution. We hope you enjoy this update!

-------------------
Original Post:
Hey everyone - Wanted to give a quick update on the status of the static flashing some of you are experiencing and where we're at. The team has been working on this one for a while, and while a fix is not included in the 1.39 PTC, and thus won't make the public 1.39 release, we do expect to have a firmware update that will resolve the issue soon. As soon as I know more, I'll share with you all, but in the meantime, thanks for hanging in there with us.
138 REPLIES 138

Anonymous
Not applicable

The index is having some worse problems than oculus right now. both are having issues, and they didn't knowingly release a defective product, absolutely nothing is 100% or perfect.

If you believe they didn't know about the static flashes before release then I have an iceberg I want to sell you.

john.zigmont
Heroic Explorer

The index is having some worse problems than oculus right now. both are having issues, and they didn't knowingly release a defective product, absolutely nothing is 100% or perfect.

If you believe they didn't know about the static flashes before release then I have an iceberg I want to sell you.

I have to agree with Philppe.heroux.58 that did know about the flashes and that's what a QA dept does reports bugs before the item is released this happens way to often 90% of the headsets to be overlooked by Oculus.

DanTheManVR
Explorer
The lengthy delay of a fix combined with the fact ( there is no way this company is that incompetent to not know this issue existed prior to release ) makes me feel as though what we'll get is at most a band-aid for the static flashes and more likely a recall/replacement of the cable or headset itself. So glad I purchased through Amazon.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wish we could get an update on when they think they may have a fix and Im not just talking about the white flashes... I have not been able to even use mine for over a week (black screen wont come on since windows update).  I was talking to tech support daily through email, but after everything normal they tried failed, they just said they would pass it up higher to look at and I have not heard from then since.  That was last Thursday.  Its getting annoying that we have no info at all as to what they are doing.  I know it may take time, but are we talking days, weeks, months?  I still have games I bought that I have not even played yet.  This is too much money to spend on something that worked for a month and a half....

johnfisher57
Honored Guest
Good share

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
Hi everyone - I have some good news to share! We're pushing out a PTC update for 1.39 today that includes an expected fix for the static flashing behavior on Rift S. In order to receive and test this update, please opt into the public test channel by going to Settings > Beta and ticking the box for Public Test Channel within the Oculus desktop software (if you are not already opted in). You should receive the new PTC build update shortly after you have opted in. Once downloaded, please give it a test and let us know how it goes! Assuming everything looks good on the PTC, we'll get this update pushed out everyone on the live channel as soon as possible.

As with any update, it's important to report any issues you encounter by utilizing the Help Center > Provide Feedback tool. Thanks again for your patience while we debugged this behavior and worked on a software resolution. We hope you enjoy this update!

RomeoAlpha
Explorer
Excellent news! Who wants to be the guinea pig?

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Well the at least the patch works... It installed firmware update to HMD and it lights up fine... It also gave me the "USB driver recommended" message which I didn't have on previous build... Other ways seems to light up fine... Too early to say about flashes...

update:

Good stuff
  • Static flashes seem to be gone.
Bad stuff
  • "USB driver update recommended"-message appeared with this update and didn't go away even after computer restart. This vanished after I shut the computer down and back on.
  • "Rift-S Controllers Lag in Grip Release"-issue has not been fixed with this build. Removing battery covers fixes it. This got fixed after I shut the computer down and back on.

Meeaks
Explorer
Everything good on my end no flashes.. thx

geoff_killick
Protege
Just had 36 holes VR golf and no flashes as yet......... Will continue to test with iRacing.