cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White Static Flashes in Rift S

misfitpunish3r
Honored Guest
Hello all,

Wanted to post this in the forums to see of anyone else is having a similar issue, in hopes that I'm not the only one or perhaps someone has already contacted Oculus to see if it's a software issue or not.

I'm having intermittent white (kind of like static) flashes every now and then. They're completely at random and happen in Oculus home and all the VR games I've tried with it (Marvel Powers United, Onward, Blade and Sorcery, Beat Saber)

Any info (other than "I'm not having any issues at all") is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
415 REPLIES 415

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
Figure I'd just share here as well for visibility so people don't have to jump between posts so much:

UPDATE 7/25/19: Hi everyone - I have some good news to share! We're pushing out a PTC update for 1.39 today that includes an expected fix for the static flashing behavior on Rift S. In order to receive and test this update, please opt into the public test channel by going to Settings > Beta and ticking the box for Public Test Channel within the Oculus desktop software (if you are not already opted in). You should receive the new PTC build update shortly after you have opted in. Once downloaded, please give it a test and let us know how it goes! Assuming everything looks good on the PTC, we'll get this update pushed out everyone on the live channel as soon as possible.

As with any update, it's important to report any issues you encounter by utilizing the Help Center > Provide Feedback tool. Thanks again for your patience while we debugged this behavior and worked on a software resolution. We hope you enjoy this update!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Awesome news!!
I won't get a chance to test thoroughly until tomorrow, I do have the update now though and am hopeful.

Brian1256
Protege
This is terrific news!

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Good news so far in the other thread folks 🙂
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Dreadpirateflap
Expert Protege
Just played just played Tetris effect for 2 hours and no flashing. Woo hoo. 

mhajii210
Expert Protege
Static flashes appear to be fixed!!! I played for almost 2 hours and first time ever no flashes. Great job to Oculus for finally fixing this dreaded bug. ?

Brian1256
Protege

.Well 2 hrs using X-plane and would normally see 6-7 flashes and with this new firmware update no flashes! This issue is definitely solved. I’ve been using the headset since release and have always seen flashes in every session. Also noted that the touch controllers no longer float in front of my face when inactive for awhile out of view. No more blackouts or usb warnings and tracking is perfect. I’m 100% issue free! Thanks to the Oculus devs and others on the forums especially this thread.

Dreadpirateflap
Expert Protege
This is so amazing. My headset just went from “great but had issues” to amazing. 
So glad I upgraded from the cv1. Was worried I would have to refund for a while if they couldn’t sort these issues. 

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer
Grateful this was fixed. I'd sure hate to be the guy who bought Rift S on a launch date and wait this long for a fix. But grateful it's now done nonetheless

Grateful this was fixed. I'd sure hate to be the guy who bought Rift S on a launch date and wait this long for a fix. But grateful it's now done nonetheless

That'll be me!

Genuinely happy not to be contemplating returning the S any more, it was the only issue I had and now super pleased.