cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Defective units are expected for most electronic goods and what happens is you get to see all of the people with them online. What you don't see is many people posting they don't have a defective unit, so it seems like a lot but perhaps isn't in the grand scheme. 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Sounds awfully like HP, Oculus and Valve need better QC  😐
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Evileyes said:

I would also like to state, Ive had zero luck with 144hz.. Basically when I switch to that setting, the overall visuals get blurry, and what I mean by that is, menus and the overall visuals blur up some.  When I switch back to 120hz, it all becomes clear.

Yeah, SteamVR reduces super sampling to maintain the frame rate, I had the same problem. 

But 120 Hz and 144 Hz are truly awesome refresh rates, presence is so much better - I immediately noticed it on head movement, and then of course on hand movements. 120 Hz worked great in Space Trainer, felt so much more alive, Vertigo 2 demo also worked fine in 120 Hz, but the problem is that SteamVR activates 120 Hz for all my games and apps, and most of my games don't work great in 120 hz, especially not in V-Racer. 

In V-Racer Hoverbike I could get 120 fps, but when increasing graphics settings I could easily push the game to 60 fps. The game has a fps counter, so it's easy to verify your frame rate. In 144 Hz I got 72 fps in V-Racer, which was unplayable due to the ghosting, but 90 Hz/fps work perfectly. 

Index does profit from super sampling, actually quite a lot in V-Racer. Going from res 3 to 2 was very bad in V-Racer - I really need to keep it at 3 (using the CV1 "3" meant ss 1.75, don't know how it affects SteamVR). Using a GTX 1080, I guess 90 Hz still is the best option. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@RuneSR2 - So you can't choose between 90Hz 120Hz 144Hz? SteamVR automatically sets 120Hz?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I also don't get noticeable "lines" when moving my head sideways, but I do notice the SDE - although it doesn't disturb me. Also I got the lenses dialed in much more today (have to be careful with glasses), and that really increased the fov a lot compared to the CV1, especially horizontal fov - I literally couldn't see where the sky ended in V-Racer - like in real life. 
I did notice some glare today, but then I tried to angle the HMD slightly upwards, and that seemed to help a lot. I have the feeling - just like the CV1 - that it'll take much time really getting to know the HMD. 
SteamVR works fine, but it's not like using the Oculus Home. Also had trouble playing Skyrim and FallOut 4 today - couldn't get the controls to work properly (especially Skyrim), and both games were previously set up for Touch. Psychonauts also didn't work, but in general all the new stuff works perfectly (=SteamVR games I just installed that never were set up for Touch), like Vertigo 2, Space Pirate Trainer and Aperture Hand Labs. 
Due to the higher res, Index does profit from antialiasing - for the first time I could clearly see differences between MSAA 2x, 4x and 8x in Space Pirate Trainer - using CV1 ss 2.0 I couldn't tell MSAA 2x apart from 8x. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

@RuneSR2 - So you can't choose between 90Hz 120Hz 144Hz? SteamVR automatically sets 120Hz?

You can choose - but if you choose 120 Hz then that choice affects all your games and apps. Unless I missed a setting, you can't set Space Pirate Trainer to 144 Hz, while setting V-Racer to 90 Hz - like making individual profiles. But you can of course just change back and forth - you need to restart SteamVR every time you change refresh rate. Lack of ASW 2.0 means that 45 fps x 2 don't feel like 90 fps, so using the Index you really want to get those 90 fps - or fps corresponding 1:1 with the refresh rate. 

MowTin
Expert Trustee

Techy111 said:

Sounds awfully like HP, Oculus and Valve need better QC  😐

It seems they don't properly test these things. And if someone does an RMA, someone should thoroughly test the replacement unit. I hear a lot of stories of people who RMA only to get another defective unit. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

MowTin
Expert Trustee
Played some more today and the vertical line problem is pretty much gone. Maybe the panels just needed to warm up. 

Last time I also didn't check motion smoothing so I wasn't really getting the motion smoothing effect. Now I see what people were talking about. It's subtle but you feel more present as you move your head. 

IL-2 @ 120Hz with motion smoothing was pretty nice. 

I also played around with FO4 VR and Skyrim VR and both look really great and feel great. I was even able to use 120hz with FO4 VR. 

At first I thought this variable refresh rate would be useless since few games can run above 90Hz but boy was I wrong. This is pretty cool. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
So it sounds like you've done a complete 180. 😄

Yeh high hz is subtle but adds an uncanny feeling of fluidity of movement. Vader Immortal and SPT are good examples to use as is the cursor movement in Virtual Desktop. 

What index really needs though is some gamma, contrast, colour adjustment options on a per game basis to reduce glare and improve the black levels.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Luciferous
Consultant
My god this thread is a roller coaster ride lol

Seems to me the differing opinions is down to poor quality control, software set up, power of graphics card.

Get them all right and you have a great headset.