New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Unity project + 7.0 update + Quest = Not working anymore

IranianDudeIranianDude Posts: 5
NerveGear
Hello, 
I am a unity developer and since the 7.0 update yesterday, none of my unity projects run on my device anymore. The same goes for SideQuest apps. 
Is there anyone else with the same issue and does anyone have a suggestion for a solution? 
I would really appreciate it  

Comments

• javier.sencorpjavier.sencorp Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Hello, the same thing happens to me, what can we do?
  • Zig420Zig420 Posts: 27 Oculus Start Member
    my projects work, but cant move, cant use hands, sometimes I only have one hand showing up... really bad
    NerveGear
    My problem is the following, I execute the application but it expels me shortly after entering it.
  • PocketMikeyPocketMikey Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I spent so many working hours on a VR demo to show my boss and had it working finally. Woke up this morning, came into my office, put on the headset to show my boss, only to find that it's completely broken thanks to the latest Oculus crap update (I'd use more colorful words, but this is a public forum). 

Oculus Devs, what gives?! Can you please provide a fix?
  • SilentAce07SilentAce07 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Hello, 
    I am a unity developer and since the 7.0 update yesterday, none of my unity projects run on my device anymore. The same goes for SideQuest apps. 
    Is there anyone else with the same issue and does anyone have a suggestion for a solution? 

Zig420 said:
    my projects work, but cant move, cant use hands, sometimes I only have one hand showing up... really bad
    Hey all, brand new developer (if I could even call it that) myself and ran into this issue with unfortunate timing. I tried to downgrade a project yesterday unsuccessfully and discovered the same issues you mentioned when I restored from my backup, only to find out it was the update that causes it. 

Anyway, the fix is simple right now. You can alter the Android manifest yourself to add a line (at work right now but you can find it online) to specify it's a quest and not a Go. Alternatively you can go to tools > remove the manifest, then click on the tools > generate a manifest. 

You'll have to delete your app manually off the quest each time you update as apparently it'll have a different sig? I'm probably wrong in reasoning but anyway, it resolves the hands and movement issues you're seeing. 
  • Zig420Zig420 Posts: 27 Oculus Start Member
    thanks, that worked for me.
  • tinghamtingham Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    Anyone figure out a way to implement this workaround in an UnrealEngine produced package?
  • IranianDudeIranianDude Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Hello, 

Zig420 said:
    Hey all, brand new developer (if I could even call it that) myself and ran into this issue with unfortunate timing. I tried to downgrade a project yesterday unsuccessfully and discovered the same issues you mentioned when I restored from my backup, only to find out it was the update that causes it. 

Anyway, the fix is simple right now. You can alter the Android manifest yourself to add a line (at work right now but you can find it online) to specify it's a quest and not a Go. Alternatively you can go to tools > remove the manifest, then click on the tools > generate a manifest. 

You'll have to delete your app manually off the quest each time you update as apparently it'll have a different sig? I'm probably wrong in reasoning but anyway, it resolves the hands and movement issues you're seeing. 
    Thanks! 
    Deleting the app manually each time you want to change something, debug or implement something new sounds like a pain in the.. a hassle. Really hope oculus is looking into fixing this. I was just starting to like the product. 
  • lsturmlsturm Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hello! Can someone be a little more specific about what to change about the manifest file to make this work? I am not sure. Thank you!
  • IranianDudeIranianDude Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    lsturm said:
    Hello! Can someone be a little more specific about what to change about the manifest file to make this work? I am not sure. Thank you!
    I played around a bit and made it work and not sure exactly which of the following steps made it work (both hands, grabbing, everything works). 
    I deleted the manifest and created a new one as proposed above. 
    Then I went to: 
    on Unity 2019: Go to the oculus dropdown menu -> Platforms - > Edit settings
    In the Oculus go/Quest text field write: Quest (Or whatever it is you are using)
    Then press the "Create/find your app .... oculus.com" and create an app and get the app id. 
    Copy your app id and insert it in Oculus ->  edit setting and insert it there. 

Then I simply build and play and it worked for the first time in a couple of days... 
    Halleløja.  
    Now time for breakfast. 

NerveGear
    Hello, oculus has released any update of the Unity 3D asset solving this problem?
  • MEDIUMLabsMEDIUMLabs Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I was using UnityEngine.XR to handle my inputs and the new update broke all the buttons, and caused my camera to have black edges (almost like a smaller fov). Solution was adding an AndroidManifest.xml to Assets/Plugins/Android. The one I used that seems to work looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
    android:installLocation="auto">
    <uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.vr.headtracking" android:version="1" android:required="true" />
    <!-- Request the headset DoF mode -->
    <application
    android:allowBackup="false">
    <activity
    android:theme="@android:style/Theme.Black.NoTitleBar.Fullscreen"
    android:configChanges="locale|fontScale|keyboard|keyboardHidden|mcc|mnc|navigation|orientation|screenLayout|screenSize|smallestScreenSize|touchscreen|uiMode"
    android:launchMode="singleTask"
    android:name="com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayerActivity"
    android:excludeFromRecents="true">
    <intent-filter>
    <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN"/>
    <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER"/>
    </intent-filter>
    </activity>
    <meta-data android:name="unityplayer.SkipPermissionsDialog" android:value="false" />
    </application>
    </manifest>