New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

NEW OCULUS UPDATES BREAKS SOFTWARE!

NynapiNynapi Posts: 7
NerveGear
edited July 2019 in Support
Since newest Update many people have problem starting the software with an "Can't reach oculus service" Error. No fix yet. No support answer yet?!

Comments

• TestchamberTestchamber Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    Agree, same here.
  • NynapiNynapi Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    IT IS NOT USER PROBLEM, LOOK EVERYWHERE PEOPLE HAVE TROUBLE. OCULUS ANSWER?
    NerveGear
    After update the Software is not starting with "Can't reach Oculus Service" Error. Many users have this everywhere and no comment from Oculus? Where is the fix?
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,254 Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2019
    I've merged these two topics. Please don't make multiple identical threads in different categories, it clutters up the Home page.

It sounds like you might be using Windows 7? The new update seems to have broken compatibility with W7. Whether or not this is intended, the Rift product page has listed Windows 10 as the minimum requirement for a while now, so if you haven't done so, you might want to consider upgrading to 10.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • XmapleXmaple Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Does that means Oculus is now unusable with Windows 7 ? I hope they will still makes a legacy Oculus App. I can't work anymore...
    NerveGear
    edited July 2019
    nalex66 said:
    I've merged these two topics. Please don't make multiple identical threads in different categories, it clutters up the Home page.

It sounds like you might be using Windows 7? The new update seems to have broken compatibility with W7. Whether or not this is intended, the Rift product page has listed Windows 10 as the minimum requirement for a while now, so if you haven't done so, you might want to consider upgrading to 10.
    I WAS PLAY FINE 20H AGO! THIS UPDATE IS DUMB. WHERE IS FIX? You can not break software with patch and say LOL go upgrade! It work before! No warning nothing! No option for say no.

Also when I buy CV1 it says windows 7 sp 2 in specs, I have site cached from purchase date. You can not just change behind back and break my hardware! This is not lawful! This is not ethical!
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,687 Valuable Player
    How many accounts are you going to make to scream about this?
    Win 7 is obsolete go yell on Microsofts forums.
    WAAAGH!
    NerveGear
    WHY NO FIX STILL?
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,073 Valuable Player
    I suggest that you get a new keyboard as well.  Your caps lock seems to be on all the time.  Quite rude.
  • TragicDelightTragicDelight Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    Stop using windows dinosaur 7
    windows 10 works very well. just disable the spy settings and disable Microsoft edge.
  • ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 245 Oculus Staff
    X-posting here:

Hey folks - just dropping back in with a quick update before I sign off for the day. I don't have much new info, but I can confirm this was not an intended change. The team is still looking into what exactly is going on and next steps. I'll share more as soon as I can. Apologies for the inconvenience and thanks for your patience.
    NerveGear
    When is fix?
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,109
    Wintermute
    edited July 2019
    Nynapi said:
    When is fix?
    Soon...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • KinggeoffKinggeoff Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited July 2019
    Just wanted to add my voice to the choir. Hopefully there is a rollback option or a fix for us Win7 users soon, this is pretty unfortunate. 

Just so people know, someone on Reddit came up with a workaround that might work.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/chdp31/oculus_app_update_139_might_lock_you_out_of_using/eux87zq/
  • NizzineNizzine Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited July 2019
    Doing as the previous guy. Just came to scream here about the W7 issue. Glad it's been looked into.

Hol up. why is there "<3" in a version number? Hope this didn't break the software.

• Zig420Zig420 Posts: 27 Oculus Start Member
    I'm not running windows 7 and I'm having HUGE problems in my development unity environment since the update.. nothing works. 
  • requiem9989requiem9989 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I am also having this problem.  Please fix it quickly.

JB
  • Chadd-WestlandChadd-Westland Posts: 20
    Brain Burst

Thank you Kinggeoff the redit file does work on W7 : )

The computer did not want to replace all the files in the runtime file and would not let me delete it.

So I cut and pasted the old file to the desktop, then dumped the new one in.

The old file deleated from the desktop I think after a reboot, previosly it kept saying it was in use ?

A message about the dash file came up in the headset but cleared once I pressed a button on the controls as requested.

The unzipped files go in program files, Oculus then Support.

Not the program files with the 86 as that is 32bit but I expect all you gentlemen know that ; )

Rebooting always helps : )

A lovely day in Cornwall

God Bless Allen and Alanna

• korgen63korgen63 Posts: 93
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited July 2019
    But Oculus MUST fix it ASAP.
    And don't tell us to change the best windows ever to this piece of shit win 10, if we don't that's for a good reason.
    Brain Burst
    Just an update : )
    The message about the dash file comes up in the headset every time I start Oculus after a reboot.
    Not just the once, but clears once I pressed a button on the controls as requested.
    This will no doubt be fixed once Oculus comes up with their fix : )
    I am Ghosting the system again just in case.
    Some of the Oculus games require W10, I wonder if CtrlAlt Studio for Second Life and Fly inside for Microsoft Flight Sim 2003 will run on W10 ?

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,254 Volunteer Moderator
    ...I wonder if CtrlAlt Studio for Second Life and Fly inside for Microsoft Flight Sim 2003 will run on W10 ?

Windows 10 includes compatibility modes for programs that require older versions of Windows (all the way back to Windows 95). I haven't come across anything that I couldn't run on Windows 10.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • korgen63korgen63 Posts: 93
    Hiro Protagonist
    nalex66 said:
    ...I wonder if CtrlAlt Studio for Second Life and Fly inside for Microsoft Flight Sim 2003 will run on W10 ?

Windows 10 includes compatibility modes for programs that require older versions of Windows (all the way back to Windows 95). I haven't come across anything that I couldn't run on Windows 10.
    Not all. I've had compatibility issues with specific softwares and drivers that will never be fixed. That's why I can't remove win7 and I'm not the only one.
  • yandooyandoo Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    This fix worked for me... I stopped OVR service in task manager > services to enable all files to be copied over without file in-use error.
    Brain Burst
    nalex66 said:

Thank you nalex66 I had forgotten about compatibility mode.
    I believe it is still possible to update for free, which always sound good.
    I understand the reluctance as I am the same : :s:smile:
    Perhaps we will all get a freebee to spend on Oculus games who knows.
    I spent most of the day reinstalling and putting a Ghost back on several times, when I should have come to this forum first.

• ArcDogRobArcDogRob Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Same problem; using Windows 7. Oculus worked fine a few days ago. Please give us an update for a fix!
  • ksnksn Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    Same sh1t on Win7
    Oculus HELLO! Wake up! What the f#ck are you doing???
  • KontonrfiveKontonrfive Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    edited July 2019
    Kinggeoff said:
    Just wanted to add my voice to the choir. Hopefully there is a rollback option or a fix for us Win7 users soon, this is pretty unfortunate. 

Just so people know, someone on Reddit came up with a workaround that might work.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/chdp31/oculus_app_update_139_might_lock_you_out_of_using/eux87zq/
    just as a reminder..... its the Dash and Oculus-runtime files. ( before update) Just replace . Works fine for me.
    Might be necessary to stop the library service. Otherwise the folder cannot be replaced if a service is running in the background.
    @Kinggeoff: thanks for link

• ArcDogRobArcDogRob Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Above posted Reddit fix worked for me as well. Still pissed at Oculus for bricking my device with an update.
  • ksnksn Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    ArcDogRob said:
    Above posted Reddit fix worked for me as well. Still pissed at Oculus for bricking my device with an update.
    I was fool and used software repair tool. Now Oculus software uninstalled and setup don't wont to complete with error. What can i do please?
  • AletdownofstateAletdownofstate Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    ksn said:I was fool and used software repair tool. Now Oculus software uninstalled and setup don't wont to complete with error. What can i do please?
    I did the same, you should be able to just redownload the installer from the Oculus site and install that way, worked out fine for me. It should update and then fail when trying to connect to the service like before. Then just close the runtime in task manager and copy over the files.