New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

After allowing Oculus to update it no longer starts!

Comments

• ArcDogRobArcDogRob Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Same problem: just tried using after a few days off; Oculus will not start - (i.e., cant not find app server; says restart and repair). Using Windows 7. Please fix ASAP or let us know ETA; I dont get a lot of days off work...
  • ksnksn Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    Win 7 problem! i tryed to repair software but it don't install now! Oculus fix it what the hell, few days already, hello!
  • TomatoCakeTomatoCake Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I just want to know their intent. if they Intentionally made this. im gonna change my window7 to 10. if they didnt i can just wait for fix patch comfortable.
  • sraurasraura Posts: 589
    Trinity
    as @ShowbizDonkey said, the change was not intended. However no further info out yet. Officially rifts do not support win7 anymore, so if you are able and willing to update to windows 10 - that is probably the fastest route.
    NerveGear
    The fix posted on Reddit worked for me; fairly easy: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/chdp31/oculus_app_update_139_might_lock_you_out_of_using/  Still pissed at Oculus for bricking my device with an update.

Trinity
    edited July 27
    Thanks for that link... That thread seems to contain backup files too if you don't have your own. Remember that if you're downloading those from this untrusted source - you're doing it on your own risk. You also need to disable any running oclulus processes while copying those files.
  • SektanSektan Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    ArcDogRob said:
    The fix posted on Reddit worked for me; fairly easy: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/chdp31/oculus_app_update_139_might_lock_you_out_of_using/  Still pissed at Oculus for bricking my device with an update.

THX this is functional for me on Win7
  • MaxerMaxer Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Thanks sraura, the "downgrade" with these files worked great! The Rift now runs under Win 7...
    I hope that Oculus will provide at least one version for the future, which remains compatible with Win 7. That this version won't get any new features or updates in the future should be clear to everyone. ;-)
    Trinity
    edited July 27
    Well that is not very likely for too long anymore, as they made the original announcement over year ago. Obviously they can try to extend the support as far they can, but at some point "old build" will fail while trying to connect to other new services. Also if year ago 95% of active users were already on win10, would say that generally win 7 is already gone. Just few people still hanging on it and even I do understand their reasons, it is time to move on... Like it will be time to move on from Win10 too - as soon better alternative pops up.
    Brain Burst
    sraura said:
    Well that is not very likely for too long anymore, as they made the original announcement over year ago. Obviously they can try to extend the support as far they can, but at some point "old build" will fail while trying to connect to other new services. Also if year ago 95% of active users were already on win10, would say that generally win 7 is already gone. Just few people still hanging on it and even I do understand their reasons, it is time to move on... Like it will be time to move on from Win10 too - as soon better alternative pops up.
    Few people?
    https://bgr.com/2019/01/02/window-10-vs-windows-7-market-share-december-2018/
    https://netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?options=%7B%22filter%22%3A%7B%22%24and%22%3A%5B%7B%22deviceType%22%3A%7B%22%24in%22%3A%5B%22Desktop%2Flaptop%22%5D%7D%7D%5D%7D%2C%22dateLabel%22%3A%22Trend%22%2C%22attributes%22%3A%22share%22%2C%22group%22%3A%22platformVersion%22%2C%22sort%22%3A%7B%22share%22%3A-1%7D%2C%22id%22%3A%22platformsDesktopVersions%22%2C%22dateInterval%22%3A%22Monthly%22%2C%22dateStart%22%3A%222018-07%22%2C%22dateEnd%22%3A%222019-06%22%2C%22segments%22%3A%22-1000%22%7D
    Please start to learn using google, very usefull
    Trinity
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,883 Volunteer Moderator
    sraura said:
    Thanks, I knew that data was around here somewhere, but couldn’t remember where to find it. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    Trinity
    nalex66 said:
    sraura said:
    Thanks, I knew that data was around here somewhere, but couldn’t remember where to find it. 
    I had it bookmarked since I got corrected while ago by making same wrong assumption. Yes there a plenty of windows 7 users left - specially on corporate world, but apparently that information can not be linked to Oculus user base.
  • Clau_DecebalClau_Decebal Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Ok I managed to make it work again on my Windows7 PC, using the information provided in the Reddit link posted above.

Here is what I did ->

1. Just download "oculus_backup.rar" from here: the https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/chdp31/oculus_app_update_139_might_lock_you_out_of_using/eux87zq?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

Then download "oculus-diagnostics.rar" from here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/chdp31/oculus_app_update_139_might_lock_you_out_of_using/ev4zskz?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

2. I uninstalled Oculus software and performed a clean install using the Oculus installer. On windows7 you have to use this command:
    C:\Users\[USER NAME]\Downloads\OculusSetup.exe /bypassHotfixCheck

3. After it installed successfully on the C drive, open a CMD and type the following: 
    C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServiceLauncher.exe -stop

4. Extract the contents of the two .rar files (oculus_backup.rar & oculus-diagnostics.rar) we downloaded earlier in the following path:
    C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\
    Override every file.

5 Open a CMD again and type:
    C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServiceLauncher.exe -start

After that, it worked for me as before the patch. Hope this helps someone :)
    NerveGear
    edited July 28
    Ok I managed to make it work again on my Windows7 PC, using the information provided in the Reddit link posted above.

Here is what I did ->

1. Just download "oculus_backup.rar" from here: the https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/chdp31/oculus_app_update_139_might_lock_you_out_of_using/eux87zq?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/chdp31/oculus_app_update_139_might_lock_you_out_of_using/ev4zskz?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

2. I uninstalled Oculus software and performed a clean install using the Oculus installer. On windows7 you have to use this command:

3. After it installed successfully on the C drive, open a CMD and type the following: 

4. Extract the contents of the two .rar files (oculus_backup.rar & oculus-diagnostics.rar) we downloaded earlier in the following path:
    Override every file.

You don't need to do steps 2, 3 and 5; but whatever works for you. Copy and pasting the Reddit files to your folder files is all you need to do.
    Brain Burst
    ArcDogRob said:

Here is what I did ->

Override every file.

You don't need to do steps 2, 3 and 5; but whatever works for you. Copy and pasting the Reddit files to your folder files is all you need to do.
    Confirmed. It's so sad we have this from Reddit insteat of Oculus x_x
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,541 Volunteer Moderator
    sraura said:
    Well that is not very likely for too long anymore,
    Also because in 6 months Microsoft is cutting support for Win 7, no more security fixes or updates for new hardware.

There's actually technical reasons for VR moving away from Win 7.
    The Win 7 USB subsystem is based on the Windows 95 code with incremental changes and only natively supported USB 2. For Win 8, MS made a new modernised USB subsystem with native USB 3 support.

The display driver model also changed. Win 7 (and to a lesser extent Win 8) are incapable of fine grain renderer preemption, which Oculus uses for efficient Async Time Warp.

Win 7 also doesn't fully support newer hardware. If you want to run something like a Threadripper CPU, things won't be painless. MS stopped adding support to Win 7 for new CPUs and motherboard chipsets back in 2015.

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 918
    3Jane
    I had to abandon W7 last year when I built the current PC, new chipset had no W7 drivers by default.  works fine with Linux though :)

W10 Pro is ok I suppose...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • AlphaCentaurusAlphaCentaurus Posts: 1
    NerveGear

There's actually technical reasons for VR moving away from Win 7.

And still there was a statement on my Rift box that promised it's working on Win 7. Causing serious flame wars on reddit as well, but imho "no support" should not b equal "we brick you device" it should equal to "no updates". And sadly that's not an option here, updates are force-pushed and devices are broken as a result :(
  • kettenschutzkettenschutz Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    copied from the other thread with the same topic

hi there, 

im really impressed how many peoples here are still on windows 7. As an System Administrator i hadnt expected that

Guys you really need to know that microsoft is cancelling the windows 7 support at january 2020 afaik. That means there will be now updates anymore and your windows 7 pc will turn into an high-end-virus-gathering-machine

you hopped 2 versions of windows, do you have that in mind? Its like going with Windows XP. Seven is a dinosaur and will become unsafe as hell

For my point of view ALL OF YOU Seven users do only have 2 options

*stop moaning and upgrade to Windows 10 (its easy as Seven, just upgrade to prof)
    *stop moaning and switch to Linux/MAC (VR Support?)

You really need to understand that you dont have a choice. You NEED TO LEAVE Win7. Its dead, it becomes unsafe, its old. Very old. Released in 2009. You see? its 10 Years ago.

That discussion here is ridiculous
  • TestchamberTestchamber Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    copied from the other thread with the same topic

hi there, 

im really impressed how many peoples here are still on windows 7. As an System Administrator i hadnt expected that

Guys you really need to know that microsoft is cancelling the windows 7 support at january 2020 afaik. That means there will be now updates anymore and your windows 7 pc will turn into an high-end-virus-gathering-machine

you hopped 2 versions of windows, do you have that in mind? Its like going with Windows XP. Seven is a dinosaur and will become unsafe as hell

For my point of view ALL OF YOU Seven users do only have 2 options

*stop moaning and upgrade to Windows 10 (its easy as Seven, just upgrade to prof)
    *stop moaning and switch to Linux/MAC (VR Support?)

You really need to understand that you dont have a choice. You NEED TO LEAVE Win7. Its dead, it becomes unsafe, its old. Very old. Released in 2009. You see? its 10 Years ago.

That discussion here is ridiculous
    You're impressed by this?
    I'm more amazed at how many people with Win10 and perfectly working Rifts, bother to take their valuable time to come onto a post that has nothing to do with them. To then have a go at people who are having a problem Oculus didn't intend! Believe me, if my rift was working I wouldn't even be on this site. Maybe you should question your own choices.

My win7 is on a small SSD that has no room to be upgraded. But I will upgrade to win10 when I buy and upgrade to a new PC. Probably in about 8 months. The reasons for my upgrade shouldn't be because oculus added extra software that is win10 only, which also doesn't improve the general function of the device....which was sold as a win7 device. It shouldn't be about Oculus at all.

Maybe what win7 and win10 users should be discussing 'later when this gets fixed' is actually how by now Oculus should have had out the 'Rift 2' that is Win10 only. Not staying with the old rift and just messing with fancy front ends for win10 only on a device sold as win7 compatible.

Hopefully now the weekend is over they'll have time to correct this update soon and I can get back to a happier virtual world. Until then I'll have to suffer a bit of flat gaming. 
  • kettenschutzkettenschutz Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    besides all of this win10 user bashing ... im not a oculus employee, so i dont know internal things ... but tbh, i dont would really expect that they put much efforts in fixing a windows 7 bug, sorry ... but maybe im wrong and they will update something

i wasnt there to piss someone with medieval software on their machines. i tried to help and to inform that this is a bug that windows 7 has.
    And that windows 7 will become a real dangerous piece of software, if it isnt already

so calm down, and make youre choice.

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,541 Volunteer Moderator
    but tbh, i dont would really expect that they put much efforts in fixing a windows 7 bug, sorry ... but maybe im wrong and they will update something
    They said they are working on it.

All this could be avoided if Oculus allowed people to choose runtime versions. Want to stick to a (soon to be) abandoned OS? Use an old runtime. You won't have recent games and features, but it would still work.
    This is how it was before the CV1. Runtime 0.8 doesn't work? Just install 0.7 or 0.6 (or 0.2.5, etc).

I saw an interesting tweet (which I can't find now) about how VR games are going to disappear when the headset software no longer supports them, the only way to archive them is taking a capture of the entire OS image in a working state so there's no internet based installing to force updates.

Other games that have needs like specific visual studio runtimes or directx runtimes can be archived easily, since you can just download the runtime you want, no forced updates.

• BarryDennen12BarryDennen12 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Yeah can Oculus not do stuff like this? Please?
    Brain Burst
    Anyone got the new win7 update fix to work yet?
  • Slim1337Slim1337 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I updated and now everything is working fine. Thank you Oculus for fixing the issue.
    Brain Burst
    Me Too. I had to completely uninstall and reload. But now all works fine.
  • johnfarmingdalejohnfarmingdale Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited August 3
    Brain Burst
    Nothing worked for me, I bought most of my games on Steam. So when I get a different headset. I can keep on playing.
    Have you tried a full clean install? After I did mine the rift worked but it wouldn't play any Steam games until I then loaded 'OculusPatchMarch2018.exe' on. Then it recognised them fine. 
    Brain Burst
    Nothing worked for me, I bought most of my games on Steam. So when I get a different headset. I can keep on playing.
    Have you tried a full clean install? After I did mine the rift worked but it wouldn't play any Steam games until I loaded 'OculusPatchMarch2018.exe' on. Then it recognised them fine. It can be found here. https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/62835/patch-for-can-t-reach-oculus-runtime-service-error