cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just saw this - Index reviewed after using it for 1 month:

https://youtu.be/DOWN7iSyQaE

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Racket Fury updated today and whilst I was there I decided to install it for the Rift as well it's cross-buy. Holy S**t! It's a  completely different game on PC compared to the Quest not only visually but this is a great game to showcase 120/144hz play. Very smooth and super-fast ball movement.

I'll pick that up later, anyone tried Racket: Nx? 

And how about Wolfie? (we have guests staying over, haven't had time for Index in more the 24 hours and probably won't have any time also today, sigh)

https://youtu.be/tYsrTPhcY04 ;

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
PS. Most don't like Cyberpilot on Steam, but I many don't state what HMD they use. This review was from an Index user:

This was played on the Valve Index

Ahhh, some much wanted AAA love for VR.

Having really enjoyed other Wolf entries, I grabbed this from GMG (still currently on sale - which gets you not just a discount, but some freebie games thrown in, worth checking out) and was excited to play a Wolf game in VR!

Given the price tag, I was preparing for something small in scale. Even with that in mind, I think it fell below what I had been anticipating 😕

Nothing in the game feels that well utilized. The in-between mission sections in the lab are kinda the run of the mill grab-this-push-that-done. When you are piloting a machine, the levels are fairly small, and gameplay feels limited.

The AI is horrific!

The game offers some comfort settings - Vignette and slower speeds. A reasonable amount of graphical settings. 3 difficulty settings - I played it on 'Hard' (middle setting) which wasnt very hard! So I would recommend not bothering with the easiest setting.

Graphically is where there is good news and bad news. The good news is, the game can look nice with a good amount of detail in the levels. The bad news is, even at Ultra setting the textures are not great, and worse still, you are going to want a serious rig to run it well at that - otherwise the game is going to look blurry for you if you want to keep the frame rate steady.
Res scale on:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1815369491
Res scale off:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1815369717
Even just in the menu you can see the drop in quality is immediate - the blur is real with res scale on!

I was able to play the game maxed out (9700k@5 2080ti@2) on the Index well at 90Hz with an SS of 1.5, or 120Hz with an SS of 1.2 (and obviously res scale off). This kept me at the target frame rate 96%+ of the time. At 144Hz, even at SS 1.0, the game spent most of its time at 72fps. The bottom line is, if you are on older hardware (PC or HMD) you are going to be missing out on half of what is on offer here, because the game is shallow and short, so at the very least you want to be able to enjoy the scenery!

Playtime was around 2hours (I have 2.6hrs logged, which includes testing varies refresh rates and settings, and watching the credits til the end - minor spoiler)

So I am left with mixed feelings about this one. On the one hand, its nice to see a higher budget title in VR. The controls were great (used the Vive wands, my Index controllers are RMA), you move at a decent speed, you only had to touch the trackpads (not press) to move about, fly up down, or twist the controller to turn. Its like they understood what I think many VR users want out of this experience in the controls department, but then babied you as far of gameplay was concerned.

Bottom line, price plays a big role in this getting a thumbs up. If they wanted $40 I would be saying wait for a BIG discount, at $60 I would have been livid! So, thanks purely to a $20 starting price and the fact I got it in a deal, means its just about a thumbs up. 

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Another holy sh** moment. Just played a little Skyrim with 144hz - ticked the custom resolution option which tailors the SS level to the GPU. Due to the age of the game it's quite easy to run this at 144hz with decent SS and by Jove what a difference it makes. I really can't stress this enough and I think this is why most people now prefer the Index or value it worth the high-price entry point even if it boasts similar specs to Vive Pro and Rift S on paper at least. The actual gameplay is where it's leaps ahead of the competition.  The more I play with this high Hz the more I believe it's an important factor to consider over things like increased FOV. I notice quite a bit that the wider FOV is nice in Skyrim VR with the Pimax 8K but that extra screen real estate chugs the performance and even 90hz you will notice dropped frames. More testing required but I love this and I'm really glad I purchased this headset to experience it today not months down the line after dithering. Now if we can get a HP Reverb quality with high Hz then that will be the headset to get although with better GPU it's possible to push the visuals further with high Hz. I don't think the upcoming Pimax 8KX will produce the high Hz and to a degree the high clarity due to the FOV. We shall see though.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Another holy sh** moment. Just played a little Skyrim with 144hz - ticked the custom resolution option which tailors the SS level to the GPU. Due to the age of the game it's quite easy to run this at 144hz with decent SS and by Jove what a difference it makes. I really can't stress this enough and I think this is why most people now prefer the Index or value it worth the high-price entry point even if it boasts similar specs to Vive Pro and Rift S on paper at least. The actual gameplay is where it's leaps ahead of the competition.  The more I play with this high Hz the more I believe it's an important factor to consider over things like increased FOV. I notice quite a bit that the wider FOV is nice in Skyrim VR with the Pimax 8K but that extra screen real estate chugs the performance and even 90hz you will notice dropped frames. More testing required but I love this and I'm really glad I purchased this headset to experience it today not months down the line after dithering. Now if we can get a HP Reverb quality with high Hz then that will be the headset to get although with better GPU it's possible to push the visuals further with high Hz. I don't think the upcoming Pimax 8KX will produce the high Hz and to a degree the high clarity due to the FOV. We shall see though.

I couldn't get Knuckles to work in Skyrim - this is a known issue:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/by8efe/so_apparently_we_cant_play_skyrim_on_index/

Did you change the Knuckles mapping or are just using the wands? Or maybe I just got problems because I've been using Touch, maybe I should just reinstall the game... 

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Nope just resorted back to the Xbox One controller was enough to spot the differences. It's not just your movement it's everything else around you that moves with such grace and fluidity.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Evileyes
Rising Star

Thanks for the tip Shadow! going to be testing that out for sure.. and here is a essential tip for you.

IMAGINATOR!  This works IN GAME on the fly! so you can actually see the colors etc.. MY Skyrim looks 984593458954395 times better! colors are beautiful!! This imo is essential with a Index, because of how washed out vanilla looks!   Pro Tip: Color Settings will be saved to a Save game.. so you can experiment and bring back the settings you made, just by the save game you pick. It really helps especially when you make a great color customization and want to bring it back.

It allows you to separately control visual elements like Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, Sky Brightness, Sunlight Output, Bloom and Tint all from within an easy-to-talk-to magic-man-menu. 

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/4577

Skyrim is looking and playing better and better!

P.S. I played last night, and im starting to talk to Serana irl, like I need/require to **** her. Its getting out of hand!
This is how she looks in game.

wlx4s8lg71i2.jpg
i9 10900k @ 5200Mhz, 32GB ram, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Need a Tesla? Here is a free 1000 miles in supercharging!
https://ts.la/mark56706

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
well i would like a index but a few issues bug me about it like the knuckles being buggy, the tearing reported, and black color problem. and im waiting for the 5700xt third party card and my 1060 6gb couldnt run the index i think, so im stuck either way, and its still expensive at 1000 us which is god only knows in canadian 1500, 2000?

i like that ladies review though and it makes me still want a index even with all that said above. i will wait to see the oculus announcement too since they are my favorite vr company and have same prices american and canadian and no shipping or tax.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Whilst I don't give much thought to the language on the forum @Evileyes can we keep the sexual references a little toned down, we do have some younger viewers on here, don't take offense mate 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Evileyes
Rising Star
Sorry about that Techy, getting overzealous here... I edited my post 🙂
i9 10900k @ 5200Mhz, 32GB ram, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Need a Tesla? Here is a free 1000 miles in supercharging!
https://ts.la/mark56706