Fallout 4 VR 75% Off!! - Page 3 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Fallout 4 VR 75% Off!!

Comments

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,041 Volunteer Moderator
    RattyUK said:
    I'll fire up FO4VR later and see what the "Reset Seated Position" does and report back.  I know I had to play around with height in skyrimVR to not be at chest height with NPC's, must go back and put a few more hours in...
    Yeah it may just be a case of putting the headset on the floor and resetting, let us know!
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,594 Valuable Player
    edited July 26
    Yeah I do not see where I can enter height manually in Steam VR.
    Will be going out for a while this morning, I will mess around with it more when I return.
    I also did not see anything in the Fallout4.ini related to height either.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
    Ok messing around in Steam VR settings it now appears I am standing in game whilst sitting in my chair.
    Not sure exactly how I did it, but right now it is looking good. Obviously running through Steam VR rather than Open Composite allowed me to get it.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
    Ah never mind, that did not do it. Nothing I do in Steam VR settings seem to allow my character to be standing whilst I am seated.
    Guess I will jut go back to Open Composite and just have to put up with it as is, bummer.
    Don

Are you using the beta SteamVR @dburne ? if so, you can revert to non-beta and the room setup will be there as per my screen grab.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,989 Valuable Player
    Isn't there a VR mod that does all this for you? I'm sure I remember seeing one somewhere.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,989 Valuable Player
    Nope, my bad. I was thinking about this one instead:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/36061
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Are you using the beta SteamVR @dburne ? if so, you can revert to non-beta and the room setup will be there as per my screen grab.

No not using the Beta.
    Don

dburne said:

No not using the Beta.

What stage did you get to? you have the VR tray icon? and if your right-click it, what's on the list?
    dburne said:

No not using the Beta.

What stage did you get to? you have the VR tray icon? and if your right-click it, what's on the list?
    Yes I get that, and right click and choose settings.
    Don

edited July 27
    dburne said:

No not using the Beta.

Ok so this morning I got it!
    Opened Steam VR, and it dropped me to where there was a tab to set up room, chose standing only, set headset on head whilst seated and entered my actual height.
    Now my character is standing in game whilst seated - woohoo!

Sorry I was a little dense in finding this, and thanks for all your help! This is only game currently I will be using Steam VR for so no big deal for me to leave the standing setting as is now.
    Don

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 531
    Neo
    edited July 27
    Oh and just a little bit if advice on getting the most out of your VR games on steamVR.....

In the SteamVR general tab and the dev tab make sure everything is untick apart from "Display always on top" and "pause rendering when HMD is idle", this will save you having a ton of stuff loaded and sitting there eating resources that may not be required by the game you are playing.....steamVR home is nice for about 10 mins but it is a resourse hog in the end if all you want to do is start a game in VR......

Now in the applications menu you will see a slider, click on it and look for the game you want, in this case F4VR, and if the slider is at 100% then move the slider down to match your HMD native res per eye....
    So a CV1 and Vive you drop the slider down to as close to 1080X1200 as you can get...
    WMR headsets would drop down to as close to 1400x1440...
    SS Odyssey set to 1440x1600...
    Vive pro to 1440x1600.....and so on for the HMD you have...
    ..and why you ask, because if you leave the slider at 100% which seems to be its default,(for me anyway),it is basically supersampling at a higher custom res, and that is fine if you have the extra big powerful video card, but you will find that by dropping it down to your native, or as close as you can get it to match your HMDs screen res per eye, that you will get way better performence, way better performence, and the game should still look fine, but if you have the spare omph then you can go the other way and see what it will offer........so just some small tips for those who might not be to sure about steamVR and all its little extras that are well worth taking a few mins to try out to see if they help make your vr gaming a little bit better. ;)

edited July 27
    Well crap the new standing position for me did not stick after an exit and restart of the game.
    Now I am down low once again, and guess I am dumb as rocks but now I can not even find in Steam VR the same option I had earlier where I sat my headset on head and entered my height for standing position.
    I realllly do not like Steam VR! So dang convoluted.
    I am loving this game though, so guess I will try to persevere.

Edit: OK I somehow found it again, recalibrated entering my height while seated, will see if this one sticks.
    Edit 2: Nope it went away again
    Don

edited July 27
    Ok I got it now.
    Installed Open VR Advanced Settings for Steam VR.
    It gives one a height adjustment in those Steam VR advanced settings. I increased it from default of 0 to .70 and now my height while seated is about right
    for standing.  I had searched internet for how to adjust height for playing this game while seated and it led to Open VR.
    If I were to play other Steam VR games I would just move the slider back to 0, but since this is the only game I will be playing in Steam VR I can just leave it set to the new value.

Thanks to everyone who offered assistance! Hope others might find this info helpful.

Now I just got to figure out how to change to different weapons I have accumulated whilst playing the game lol.
    Don

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,358 Volunteer Moderator
    Pick that weapon wisely @dburne

A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Lol thanks Techy.
    Well after a close the open again of the game, I am once again short and now I have no hands at all, just shows the controllers and can't do anything with them.
    I am officially giving up on Steam VR, going back to open composite and will just have to play short I guess - hope it works.
    Don

• Orodreth16Orodreth16 Posts: 57
    Hiro Protagonist
    I also use open vr advanced for fallout vr. I just set it anew after every game start because it resets itself. It's a bit annoying but takes only a few seconds, so it's not a big deal. 

I just wonder why there is a height slider in skyrim, but not in fallout...
    edited July 27
    I also use open vr advanced for fallout vr. I just set it anew after every game start because it resets itself. It's a bit annoying but takes only a few seconds, so it's not a big deal. 

I just wonder why there is a height slider in skyrim, but not in fallout...
    Yeah really, I wonder too.
    Thanks for the info - any idea why now I have no hands? Can't really do anything without hands now.
    It just shows my controllers instead.
    Don

• Orodreth16Orodreth16 Posts: 57
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited July 27
    No, never had missing hands myself, sorry. 
    Maybe try checking file integrity through Steam?

Edit: Wait, I just realized, you actually don't have hands in fallout. I think the game only shows your hands when you have no weapon equipped and go into unarmed combat mode. 
    Ok thanks, will keep on and see how it goes.
    Don

Yeah there were a few occasions where you could force your hands to appear, so the hand models are definitely included in the game but theyre almost always absent from the screen. After getting the Rift-S though the pip-boy and Touch controller are always present unless a weapon is equipped, then that's visible instead of controller.
    Yeah there were a few occasions where you could force your hands to appear, so the hand models are definitely included in the game but theyre almost always absent from the screen. After getting the Rift-S though the pip-boy and Touch controller are always present unless a weapon is equipped, then that's visible instead of controller.
    Thanks much, I am slowly making progress. Still trying to learn all the ins and outs.
    Don

There are a few controls I found a bit awkward at first like holstering a weapon and I'm not a fan of thumbstick presses really, and I didn't do myself any favours in not realising running just needs a quick press, I thought at the start that you had to hold the press down all the time you run! It all becomes second nature eventually.

Swimming is a little problematic though. Entering the water sometimes causes movement to lock but is cured by a press of the trigger. Weapons can be messed up leaving the water and you have to change weapon to fix it. Your footstep sound can disappear after swimming too. And annoyinfly you need a smooth incline to walk out of the water, you can't climb onto a low embankment if the incline isn't there, like you can in the pancake game.

Bethesda only had a limited time to convert to VR I think and swimming feels like it's unfinished.
    edited July 28
    Nice tip on the running, as I have been having problems being able to consistently run when I want. I will make sure I do a quick press, as I too have been holding it in.
    Thanks much!

I think I have my height issue sorted now, using OpenVR Advanced Settings with Steam - I just make sure I reset it along with my sitting position in Steam VR  after each use, and then adjust again when I start to play the game. Another thing that was probably effecting me was I just realized I could crouch, and was probably hitting that on thumbstick without realizing what it was doing lol.

I guess hands kind of come and go for me, when I first started seemed like I always had hands, now I don't until it is appropriate to have them I guess.
    Anyway finally making good progress I think. 
    Don

Ok interesting you have to reset your position each time, for me it's a once only thing. I forgot to mention turning your head more than 45deg to the left or right makes you walk so you have to press thumbstick again to start running.
    Ok interesting you have to reset your position each time, for me it's a once only thing. I forgot to mention turning your head more than 45deg to the left or right makes you walk so you have to press thumbstick again to start running.
    Ok I will try it again without resetting and see how I get along - thanks for the tip! Perhaps I was inadvertently crouching before.

Don

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 900
    3Jane
    edited July 28
    Strangely enough FO4VR is currently unplayable as the touch controllers hang after around a minute of play - quitting out of the game and controllers are hung in Dash and static on passthrough.

I can play Oculus titles without issue - maybe try another Steam game or 2 to see if it repeats.  I am currently in Nuka world - wonder if it is the DLC giving me issues?

Seems like only FO4VR - hmmm!

Switch out FO4VR Beta - all is fine!
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    RattyUK said:
    Strangely enough FO4VR is currently unplayable as the touch controllers hang after around a minute of play - quitting out of the game and controllers are hung in Dash and static on passthrough.

I can play Oculus titles without issue - maybe try another Steam game or 2 to see if it repeats.  I am currently in Nuka world - wonder if it is the DLC giving me issues?
    That may well be,  I only have the straight game of Fallout 4 VR and not getting the controller hang with my Rift S.
    Don

RattyUK said:

I've got the DLCs installed and ready to go but I haven't yet visited any DLC area. Not having any controller issues but if it locks the controllers even after exiting the game, that's not good... I'd be surprised if the DLC could trigger that but who knows?
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 900
    3Jane
    edited July 28
    RattyUK said:

I've got the DLCs installed and ready to go but I haven't yet visited any DLC area. Not having any controller issues but if it locks the controllers even after exiting the game, that's not good... I'd be surprised if the DLC could trigger that but who knows?
    Sorted :)
    It was the beta of FO4VR  - had a good hour of play with no problems - weird!
    Maybe the 'new' SteamVR beta 'fixed' whatever the FO4 beta was fixing...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)