cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After allowing Oculus to update it no longer starts!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried to start it manually but there was some information about problem with  oculus not connecting and oculus app suggested that i run the repair.
I did and now I no longer even have Oculus installed?

Tried to download installer and reinstall but get an error during install. If i translate from Swedish the Oculus installer says something like:
Restart the computer
There was an error during installation. Restart computer and try to run Oculus Setup again. If you still have problem contact Oculus Support.

And yes, I still have problem.
I have tried to run the installer several times restarting the computer as well but installer refuses to work.

I'm using Rift and Oculus on Windows 7.
62 REPLIES 62

deftware
Expert Protege
Looks like someone started using UWP-only APIs from Kernel32.dll, which totally breaks Windows 7 compatibility. So much for the "Universal" in "Universal Windows Platform". Nobody even tested the outgoing patch on a Windows 7 system at Oculus. That's what blows my mind.

ArcDogRob
Explorer
Same problem: just tried using after a few days off; Oculus will not start - (i.e., cant not find app server; says restart and repair). Using Windows 7. Please fix ASAP or let us know ETA; I dont get a lot of days off work...

ksn
Protege
Win 7 problem! i tryed to repair software but it don't install now! Oculus fix it what the hell, few days already, hello!

TomatoCake
Honored Guest
I just want to know their intent. if they Intentionally made this. im gonna change my window7 to 10. if they didnt i can just wait for fix patch comfortable.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
as @ShowbizDonkey said, the change was not intended. However no further info out yet. Officially rifts do not support win7 anymore, so if you are able and willing to update to windows 10 - that is probably the fastest route.

ArcDogRob
Explorer
The fix posted on Reddit worked for me; fairly easy: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/chdp31/oculus_app_update_139_might_lock_you_out_of_using/ ; Still pissed at Oculus for bricking my device with an update.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Thanks for that link... That thread seems to contain backup files too if you don't have your own. Remember that if you're downloading those from this untrusted source - you're doing it on your own risk. You also need to disable any running oclulus processes while copying those files.

Sektan
Honored Guest

ArcDogRob said:

The fix posted on Reddit worked for me; fairly easy: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/chdp31/oculus_app_update_139_might_lock_you_out_of_using/ ; Still pissed at Oculus for bricking my device with an update.

THX this is functional for me on Win7

Maxer
Honored Guest
Thanks sraura, the "downgrade" with these files worked great! The Rift now runs under Win 7...
I hope that Oculus will provide at least one version for the future, which remains compatible with Win 7. That this version won't get any new features or updates in the future should be clear to everyone. 😉

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Well that is not very likely for too long anymore, as they made the original announcement over year ago. Obviously they can try to extend the support as far they can, but at some point "old build" will fail while trying to connect to other new services. Also if year ago 95% of active users were already on win10, would say that generally win 7 is already gone. Just few people still hanging on it and even I do understand their reasons, it is time to move on... Like it will be time to move on from Win10 too - as soon better alternative pops up.