cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Cheers fella ?
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

MowTin
Expert Trustee

RuneSR2 said:

Nice video showing Doom VFR gameplay using the Index:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/cibzsi/did_anyone_try_doom_vfr_on_the_index/

I have to fix the controls, but it seems it isn't that hard - to me Doom VFR is the best fps in VR, even way better than Arizona Sunshine. With the Index you can really see the monsters, like:

I got smooth locomotion and smooth turning working with Doom VFR. I posted a video where they explain how to choose custom bindings. 

Then you open the console by pressing ~ on your keyboard and type
bind "STEAMVR_PRIMARY_AXIS3" "_lookright"
bind "STEAMVR_PRIMARY_AXIS2" "_lookleft"

@120Hz on the Index this game is mindblowing. It's so smooth and crisp looking. 

YMMV I'm using 2080ti.

You're right, this is the best FPS in VR by far. I can't convey how awesome this game is on the Index when using full smooth turning. It's so fast and intense and gory. It's FPS Nirvana. I want them to give us more.  

https://youtu.be/-csto70eR68?t=338
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
So you're not returning the index any time soon then?

😄 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Please post a step by step guide to getting all this locomotion option working.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

TragicDelight
Protege
maybe at 600.00.....
but at it's current price point it's a waste.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Have any of you with the index noticed if the higher refresh helps with nausea? I still over look this when I'm looking for a headset even though some games at 80Hz or 90 Hz want to make me puke. So does the 120Hz make a difference to feeling like you want to throw up in some games?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

Have any of you with the index noticed if the higher refresh helps with nausea? I still over look this when I'm looking for a headset even though some games at 80Hz or 90 Hz want to make me puke. So does the 120Hz make a difference to feeling like you want to throw up in some games?

120 fps/hz feel much more real and natural - more calm in a way. I wouldn't be surprised if 120 hz reduce nausea, but I don't get nausea in VR anymore no matter the refresh, so it's hard to give you solid advice. I think the original argument for 90 (95) hz was to reduce nausea by increasing presence.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

RedRizla said:

120 fps/hz feel much more real and natural - more calm in a way. I wouldn't be surprised if 120 hz reduce nausea, but I don't get nausea in VR anymore no matter the refresh, so it's hard to give you solid advice. I think the original argument for 90 (95) hz was to reduce nausea by increasing presence.

@RuneSR2 - This is a bit weird because back in the day Oculus seemed to swear that you needed 90Hz to reduce motion sickness in VR. These day's it doesn't seem to get talked about a lot, but for people still new to VR this is a big thing.

I still experience this myself and think the only FPS game that has no motion sickness is Onward. I never ever feel sick in that game, so why don't devs just take note of this game and stop giving us the motion sickness? It's like these devs want to do their own thing that create monition sickness in games -duh?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
It's difficult to find solid answers, but this explanation seems to represent my understanding of refresh rates and nausea (VR motion sickness):

"The physiology behind VR sickness is not currently clearly understood. Fortunately, research has uncovered some clear indications of certain conditions that cause VR sickness. It seems that the images projected from virtual reality have a major impact on sickness. The refresh rate of on-screen images is often not high enough when VR sickness occurs. Because the refresh rate is slower than what the brain processes, it causes a discord between the processing rate and the refresh rate, which causes the user to perceive glitches on the screen. When these two components do not match up, it can cause the user to experience the same feelings as simulator and motion sickness which is mentioned below."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_reality_sickness

So higher refresh rates should be better than lower refresh rates. VirtualLink in RTX video card also supports 120 Hz (in up to 4K res that is), and while there may be other reasons for Nvidia to support VR in 120 Hz like increased presence, reducing motion sickness could be another. 

When Quest is performing at 72 Hz and Rift-S  at 80 Hz I don't think that Oculus thinks that refresh rates aren't important, but going for 120 Hz is extremely hardware demanding - you need 50% more frames than 80 Hz! This not only affects you gpu, but also you cpu. I believe it's a hard choice - while 120 Hz may be awesome for nearly everyone, it would increase hardware requirements a lot - or force devs to make more simple and less eye-catching games. Getting 90 fps - or 80 fps - in games like Lone Echo is already a challenge, even using a 2080Ti and CV1 if you max out all video setting (res 2.0, max MSAA). 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
BTW, I've not given up on the CV1 at all - I still want to be able to use it. I just ordered a converter to be able to connect CV1 to my USB 3.1 Type C port, which according to MSI is "VR -Ready". Interesting how that'll work out... 
While the sound is nice using the Index, I do miss the deep bass in the CV1, and Dash does make it much easier to interact with the desktop apps. SteamVR has many more advanced options and settings, which may be awesome for enthusiasts, but which also may make everything more cumbersome to use (like changing button mappings for Knuckles in specific games - hopefully devs will fix this for many games in the coming months).

BTW, what I loved about the CV1 was simply to turn on the rig and put on the HMD - without turning on the monitor. Then Oculus Home would start automatically. Index doesn't do that - but in case some have overlooked the small button on the bottom of the Index, then pressing that button will automatically start SteamVR - it's the button in the red circle:

9xwx47eael5c.jpg