New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

NEW OCULUS UPDATES BREAKS SOFTWARE!

Comments

• Chadd-WestlandChadd-Westland Posts: 20
    Brain Burst

Good morning Gentlemen and ladies of course.
    Software it tested on the user first then fixed, as in Boeing.
    Microsoft's Bill Gates he would have made a better less stressful world, if he had used all the money he paid himself to build and test better operating systems.
    No doubt the same applies to the bosses of Oculus.
    When you reach 74 you realise that you are not going to be able to take it with you : )
    Better to help your fellow man or woman while you can : )
    There has been a good example of helping others by folks on this forun. Thank you all.
    God Bless Allen and Alanna

• ToddWilson5550ToddWilson5550 Posts: 10
    NerveGear

Still no response from Oculus I guess it is time to move on to new head set (not made by Oculus) to a company that cares where their money came from. Win 10 people your NEXT!

• sraurasraura Posts: 590
    Trinity

Still no response from Oculus I guess it is time to move on to new head set (not made by Oculus) to a company that cares where their money came from. Win 10 people your NEXT!

Yep yep... Meanwhile you can use the reddit fix... If you need the backup files look here (untrusted source, use on your own risk).
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,156 Volunteer Moderator

Still no response from Oculus

You mean besides on the previous page where the Oculus employee responded?

• deftwaredeftware Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    kojack said:

Still no response from Oculus

You mean besides on the previous page where the Oculus employee responded?

That was two days ago, and now it's the weekend. Probably won't be hearing anything until Monday. They should just rollback the update in the meantime, why leave everyone stranded? Clearly not a big priority to anybody in the ivory tower of Silicon Valley, looking down their nose at Windows 7 users like it's our fault they don't know how to stick to the Win32 API.

With this situation it's been at least a week since people started having problems. Windows 7 users comprise over 20% of Steam users, as of June, and while Oculus probably doesn't have as large of a fraction of its users which are running 7 it's surely not insignificant. In either case, it's enough customers that Oculus should be testing their updates on Win7 machines *before* pushing them out, period. Even if it was only 1% of their users, they should at least give it a quick run. Of course when you're at the forefront of the tech industry it's probably a lot harder to stay in tune with the reality the rest of the world is living in.

I'm an independent software developer who writes and sells my own software for a living - and I test every update/release on both Win7 and Win10. I stick to the Win32 API and that means much more and much happier customers with fewer problems. Not everybody is a PCMR fan that you can expect to have the latest and greatest hardware/software. A modicum of consideration for people who use older hardware/OS - whatever their reasons may be - goes a long way, for practically any software market.

At the end of the day, this kind of thing reflects more on Oculus and how much it values its customers, more so than it does anything or anyone else. Mistakes happen, but have they seriously been pushing updates out this whole time without testing them properly? I would roll back the update the moment I saw a bunch of people having a problem with it, without hesitation, because my customers are that important to me.
  • sraurasraura Posts: 590
    Trinity
    edited July 2019
    We do have been warned... like year ago... In that post they kind of promise to try to keep the core functionality there, but accidents happen and that can only extend to certain point...

Now that being said - if you do upgrade to windows 10 and are as fanatic win 7 user as I was, you probably end up experiencing following symptoms during following time periods;
    1st week: Huge desire to smash your computer with sledge hammer to cure the cancer and have nothing to do with it anymore.
    2nd week: Cursing why everything has been hidden behind some extremely annoying "mobile phone"-style apps and panels.
    3rd and 4th week: Trying to figure out how to deal with this pile of garbage and how to block/uninstall all the included spy- and malware.
    Next couple months: Missing windows 7 and writing to forums what huge pile of garbage windows 10 is.
    After every windows 10 feature update: Missing windows 7 and cursing why the hell they had to break everything again. Obviously writing to forums about it.
    After year: You've been slain by Microsoft and just hope that rise of Linux gaming will happen sooner rather than later. You still write to forums, but understand that era of windows 7 exist only in golden memories.
  • ksnksn Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    ksn said:I was fool and used software repair tool. Now Oculus software uninstalled and setup don't wont to complete with error. What can i do please?
    I did the same, you should be able to just redownload the installer from the Oculus site and install that way, worked out fine for me. It should update and then fail when trying to connect to the service like before. Then just close the runtime in task manager and copy over the files.
    Thank you, i started software this way, but it works a bit strange... I have notification about some features of Oculus may be unavailable and some of my games in library needs some kind of third party components to install...

NerveGear
    hay Oculus sounds like people not paid by you have solved the problem. for some people that are not so computer savy you need to fix it
    NerveGear

You mean the one from 2 days ago?

Really?

NerveGear

win 10 your next

NerveGear
    What a volunteer moderator is a employee of Oculus get past stuck on stupid
    NerveGear
    what do you have to say Kojack
  • AletdownofstateAletdownofstate Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    The other thread (which was made before this one) has a response from an Oculus staff member. The mod just moved the reply over to this thread to keep people informed.
    NerveGear
    so what do you know now,  nothing
  • TragicDelightTragicDelight Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    sraura said:
    We do have been warned... like year ago... In that post they kind of promise to try to keep the core functionality there, but accidents happen and that can only extend to certain point...

Now that being said - if you do upgrade to windows 10 and are as fanatic win 7 user as I was, you probably end up experiencing following symptoms during following time periods;
    1st week: Huge desire to smash your computer with sledge hammer to cure the cancer and have nothing to do with it anymore.
    2nd week: Cursing why everything has been hidden behind some extremely annoying "mobile phone"-style apps and panels.
    3rd and 4th week: Trying to figure out how to deal with this pile of garbage and how to block/uninstall all the included spy- and malware.
    Next couple months: Missing windows 7 and writing to forums what huge pile of garbage windows 10 is.
    After every windows 10 feature update: Missing windows 7 and cursing why the hell they had to break everything again. Obviously writing to forums about it.
    After year: You've been slain by Microsoft and just hope that rise of Linux gaming will happen sooner rather than later. You still write to forums, but understand that era of windows 7 exist only in golden memories.
    Stop being over-dramatic.
    Win 10 is fine, you don't know what you are talking about.
    Most likely you're the personality type to hate change in general and cry about it.
    NerveGear
    so what do you know now,  nothing
    I know the same as I knew yesterday. Which is enough to not be worried for the time being.
    NerveGear
    ok kojack I agree
    NerveGear
    ok kojack I agree
    No worries Rosco.
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,074 Valuable Player

Microsoft's Bill Gates he would have made a better less stressful world, if he had used all the money he paid himself to build and test better operating systems.

You're joking right????
  • ksnksn Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    sraura said:

Stop being over-dramatic.
    Win 10 is fine, you don't know what you are talking about.
    Most likely you're the personality type to hate change in general and cry about it.
    Nothing fine in Windows 10. I have this OS at work and use it about two years there. That's why i still have Win 7 at home because this Win 10 OS is pretty sh1t thing in comparison.
  • ArcDogRobArcDogRob Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    edited July 2019
     Same as KSN; have been using Windows 10 at work since 2015 (i was also the one payed to tell staff how to use it). I run 7 on my home desktop for 'reasons'.
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,688 Valuable Player
    What a volunteer moderator is a employee of Oculus get past stuck on stupid
    Yes thats what we need people who just got here yelling at people trying to help them.

WAAAGH!
    Brain Burst
    Digikid1 said:

You're joking right????

Good morning Digkid1.
    No not at all, the Windows operating system is world wide and affects millions of peoples in business and their private lives.
    Its problems will have caused a great deal of stress for many people.
    When people are stressed it affects their personal relationships.
    Such as when folks have money problems they fight.
    Bill Gates could have used the millions he paid himself on testing the system more, instead the user has ended up as in this case having to fix it : )

• MR_POPSICLESMR_POPSICLES Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Is this why my quest just bricked itself? I just unplugged my quest after it fully charged it was acting as if it was still plugged in after i unplugged it and when i put it on all i could see was the oculus logo and thats it so i tried holding the power button to turn it off and nothing, then i decide to hold the volume up, down, amd power buttons as im trying to find a way to hard reset the quest and now it wont turn back on. So do i have a defective device that i should return? If had the quest for 2 days now and my quest was manifactured in june.
    Brain Burst
    Is this why my quest just bricked itself? I just unplugged my quest after it fully charged it was acting as if it was still plugged in after i unplugged it and when i put it on all i could see was the oculus logo and thats it so i tried holding the power button to turn it off and nothing, then i decide to hold the volume up, down, amd power buttons as im trying to find a way to hard reset the quest and now it wont turn back on. So do i have a defective device that i should return? If had the quest for 2 days now and my quest was manifactured in june.

That is not good sorry to hear that.
    Have you tried leaving it back on charge for a while, you never know : )
    The charge light on our phone sometimes stays on after I unplug it, till I re-insert the charging plug.
    Other than that perhaps Google has some information about resetting.

• MatthiasFlintMatthiasFlint Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    And this is why we should never allow automatic updates. A week out and not even a rollback tool? Seriously?! C'mon Oculus team, the community has a fix and y'all have nothing but "try upgrading to Windoze 10"?! 
  • TragicDelightTragicDelight Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    korgen63 said:
    nalex66 said:
    ...I wonder if CtrlAlt Studio for Second Life and Fly inside for Microsoft Flight Sim 2003 will run on W10 ?

Windows 10 includes compatibility modes for programs that require older versions of Windows (all the way back to Windows 95). I haven't come across anything that I couldn't run on Windows 10.
    Not all. I've had compatibility issues with specific softwares and drivers that will never be fixed. That's why I can't remove win7 and I'm not the only one.
    Such as?
    Please do elaborate.
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,212
    3Jane
    @ those insisting on staying with Windows7: you gotta be kidding right?
  • kettenschutzkettenschutz Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    hi there, 

im really impressed how many peoples here are still on windows 7. As an System Administrator i hadnt expected that

Guys you really need to know that microsoft is cancelling the windows 7 support at january 2020 afaik. That means there will be now updates anymore and your windows 7 pc will turn into an high-end-virus-gathering-machine

you hopped 2 versions of windows, do you have that in mind? Its like going with Windows XP. Seven is a dinosaur and will become unsafe as hell

For my point of view ALL OF YOU Seven users do only have 2 options

*stop moaning and upgrade to Windows 10 (its easy as Seven, just upgrade to prof)
    *stop moaning and switch to Linux/MAC (VR Support?)

You really need to understand that you dont have a choice. You NEED TO LEAVE Win7. Its dead, it becomes unsafe, its old. Very old. Released in 2009. You see? its 10 Years ago.

That discussion here is ridiculous
  • LaringtonLarington Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited July 2019
    Uh, hi.

Sorry, but, it's up to the end user when they need to upgrade from Windows 7. No amount of telling us we absolutely must do it will work when we've been quite happily been using something that (aside from minor, rare and *brief* outages like this situation here) hasn't caused us any problems.

I have no doubt I will upgrade from Win 7 (Probably when I get a new hard disk), in fact my laptop is windows 10 partly because it's a newer processor that doesn't have compatibility with the old OS, but I'll do it when *I* feel it's necessary, not because people think they have the right to tell me to, however valid their reasoning is.

Sheesh.