cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Home Imported Image Brightness

Scorgified
Explorer
Hello,

I'm hoping this is one of those, "Just do this" things. I've been having fun importing some models and wanted to add some of my paintings to the walls. I've gone and made the .glb file and everything comes in fine but they are dark when not in direct light. Now normally that would be ok but other picture I get from Oculus are nearly back lit. 
So Im not sure if there is a light interaction thing going on, for instance, in the outside light of the sail ship environment things are really specular, but inside the lights seem to not have any effect. Yet when I look at the suit of armor reward or the fish tank , they are lit quite well. 

What am I missing?   I'm using Blender with the glb exporter, linked metal_roughness PBR, also seem to work with just Blender Render much the same.

Thanks in advance
9 REPLIES 9

jessicazeta
Heroic Explorer
Hey @Scorgified! Possible you can post screenshots of what you're seeing and even sharing your GLB's so we can test it? Could be a number of things here, so doing both would be most helpful!

Scorgified
Explorer
Sure, @jessicazeta
 I put a small pic that was a reward next to it. I know its a night pic but all the images I have tried end up the same as I described above.  I can't add the GLB file for some reason. Thank you in advance, its a ton of fun and gives me loads of ideas. cbxsyjvofsk1.png

Scorgified
Explorer
I figured it out. It was simply my lack of understanding but now I am a master of it lol. 
Using the glTF Metallic Roughness Shader in Blender all I had to do was to plug in what part of the texture I wanted to be Emissive as a map and then use the EmissiveFactor to control the amount of Emission. So simple.

jessicazeta
Heroic Explorer
Thanks for sharing the info @Scorgified!

jessicazeta
Heroic Explorer
Another easy way to make a 2D image for posting in your home is to use this site: https://glb-frame-maker.glitch.me/ 

1. Choose frame
2. Drag and drop a picture into the browser with the correct dimensions
3. Download GLB
4. Move to My Documents/Home/_Import
5. Profit

LZoltowski
Champion

Another easy way to make a 2D image for posting in your home is to use this site: https://glb-frame-maker.glitch.me/ 

1. Choose frame
2. Drag and drop a picture into the browser with the correct dimensions
3. Download GLB
4. Move to My Documents/Home/_Import
5. Profit

This needs to be announced EVERYWHERE:

oh my god wow GIF
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

HotWasabiPeas
Protege
There is an app in the Oculus Store for exporting photo objects for Oculus Home:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2071717556249754/

It has frames of varying sizes and some frames that automatically fit your image file. Makes adding photos to your Home pretty easy and painless.

SpudHead
Honored Guest
Where is the glTF metallic roughness shader please? I’m using Blender 2.8 and I can't seem to find it. New user here. Thanks.

Knightshade.Steve
Adventurer
@HotWasabiPeas  The URL you shared has the wrong page associated with it... mouse over, compare the bottom of left of the window url with the one that is written. always test your own links.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2071717556249754/
Simply Home Photo Explorer
is the name of the app if even my url fails.

Unfortunately
`Recent bug makes it unusable

I really enjoyed this app. Very well built and functional, but some days ago it stopped working properly. Almost all the frames I had created now appear white. If I create new ones, they only work until the next reboot. Then they come back white. It really is a strange bug``

`Update: The latest Oculus update 1.39 seems to be causing issues. Half
of the photos in my home now display as blank frames and re-importing
them does not seem to fix this. Some of the frames also have weird
shadows behind them too.`

I've mailed oculus support and the developer in the hope that this'll eventually be fixed.