win7 fix after 1.39 update — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

win7 fix after 1.39 update

MystaMagooMystaMagoo Posts: 68
Hiro Protagonist
luckily for me I have an older install which I just stopped the internet and it all works fine.
read also that replacing runtime and dash can 'recover' your install to be usable?
not sure if it's the total folders or if just use the respective exe?

I'm also testing an older setup exe,will see what happens to that after it downloads and installs.....

If I can get 1.39 up n running for win 7 I'll post back with what/how and maybe older files for you......

Comments

• sraurasraura Posts: 589
    Trinity
    edited July 27
    Thank you for this... However temporary fix is already posted here...
  • MystaMagooMystaMagoo Posts: 68
    Hiro Protagonist
    sraura said:
    Thank you for this... However fix is already posted here...
    I had to use old client as well
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,991 Valuable Player
    Just update to Windows 10. If you have a legit copy of Windows 7 it's free.

Windows 7 is 10 years old, I'm surprised that ANYONE with ANY sort of sense is still using it tbh.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited July 28
    snowdog said:
    Just update to Windows 10. If you have a legit copy of Windows 7 it's free.

Windows 7 is 10 years old, I'm surprised that ANYONE with ANY sort of sense is still using it tbh.

It's about control
    Win7 may well be old but it's still capable.
    As just proven if you don't have control over whats on your own pc in your own home and it just goes ahead and updates because it knows best........
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 427
    Trinity
    edited July 29

That capability ends January 2020 (as all support from Microsoft ceases. No more security patches).

The clock is ticking, it may be capable now but you're just a mere handful of months before it becomes a dead OS.

i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,115
    Wintermute
    edited July 29

That capability ends January 2020 (as all support from Microsoft ceases. No more security patches).

The clock is ticking, it may be capable now but you're just a mere handful of months before it becomes a dead OS.

To be fair, "still capable" is not dependent on Microsoft support. I still use WinXP on my solar monitoring netbook. It's "still capable" of doing what I need it to. (it's been running flawlessly for just under 9yrs)
    An OS should never be made redundant because a program refuses to work with it. All software is written to work on the OS, not the other way around.

When Oculus chooses to not support Win 7, it does it based on numbers, and wears the outcome. In this case, I think Oculus is making a smart move. We've struggled to get consistent, reliable software for the Rift for 3 yrs due to the huge variations in software and hardware on the PC. (now added to by Rift S)

When 98.2% of Oculus users have Win10, it's reasonable (I think) to cut out Win 7.
    https://developer.oculus.com/hardware-report/pc/

Edit: even so, Oculus have just released a hotfix for Win 7 users)

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
    Hiro Protagonist
    Dropping support for win7 isn't a problem but preventing win7 users from using their paid for rift is.
    Just make a 'cut off' date like say from v1.40.
    Make a standalone installer 1.40.
    Win7 users stop at 1.40 but win10 users can go onwards 1.41 etc