cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift-S Controllers Lag in Grip Release

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

When I close my grip on my Rift-S touch controller (last 3 fingers) and hold it for a second or two, then release, there is quite a bit of lag before they open again.  The right controller seems worse than the left.  My old Rift cv1 did not have any lag.  The problem is when you are in a game and try to grip something, then throw it, the lag causes it to either stick to your hand or weakly go offline.  Hopefully this is just another tracking issue that will soon be fixed with an update.  Tracking lag and screen flashing are my only complaints with my Rift-S so far.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers
225 REPLIES 225

sraura
Heroic Explorer
I seriously think about buying pci-e usb card too, because with latest (static fix) patch rift usb connection seems to be green or randomly go orange. If it goes orange, I usually get the trigger lag too...

I am starting to believe that this is yet another power issue and that rift drains so much power from usb port, that it may actually have negative impact to my motherboards health on long run. For that reason I am probably going to invest to some decent expansion card and try it out. Just need to figure out some good model/brand 1st.

Dreadpirateflap
Expert Protege

sraura said:

I seriously think about buying pci-e usb card too, because with latest (static fix) patch rift usb connection seems to be green or randomly go orange. If it goes orange, I usually get the trigger lag too...

I am starting to believe that this is yet another power issue and that rift drains so much power from usb port, that it may actually have negative impact to my motherboards health on long run. For that reason I am probably going to invest to some decent expansion card and try it out. Just need to figure out some good model/brand 1st.

I have an oculus recommended usb card with latest drivers and it has the same issue. 

sraura
Heroic Explorer

sraura said:

I have an oculus recommended usb card with latest drivers and it has the same issue.

Thanks... Good to know.

I actually browsed some cards and came to conclusion that before trying that solution, I will buy cheap 1m usb 3.0 extension cord, so I can link rift to my externally powered USB hub and see if that makes any difference. In fact it solves my anxiety towards my motherboards health and if that works fine - will be good enough "fix". I don't really have any serious problems, but hate things which behave randomly.

geoff_killick
Protege
I have the Inatek powered USB card and It still does It. Also get random Orange USB warning. 

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Looks like another bug in the code then. However I'll still get the extension cable and let you know how it goes... I already have this, but currently it is located too far from the computer and it is easier to get that 8€ 1m usb 3 extension than start moving my stuff around...

Dreadpirateflap
Expert Protege
Oculus recommended to me not to get extension cords a as it can increase delay in inputs etc. 

I havent tested it. Just passing on what they said to me. 

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Ok that was interesting testing... I actually managed to get rift s connected to that usb hub without extension. Forgot that is has rather lengthy wires after the splitter.

Anyways it pretty much went like this;

Initially everything was working normal - all green lights. Oculus home worked fine and I could throw things around without problem. If there was grip lag, it was meaningless. One might say that the hand was opening tiny bit slower than without the usb hub, but if it did - the difference was so small that it is impossible to tell for sure.

But then... After computer reboot I got the usb update warning and "no rift audio"-warning. Never had that one before... I toyed around for a moment trying the basic unplug and replug sort of stuff and situation actually went from bad to worse... Rift kind of seemed to die. Oculus didn't find the device at all... not even after couple more reboots. Not sure if this is because of the 1m usb cord which that usb hub has or because of the few other devices I've connected to it. Only one 2,5" usb hard drive was actually draining power from it...

Going back to original setup, where rift is connected directly to computers back panel solved the issue back to the point where I either get all green or orange usb update warning.

As conclusion from all this I still didn't get answer I was looking for... I would be easy to say that orange usb warning problems are probably caused by the long 5m cord what "rift s" comes with as problems get worse if you extend it even further. It would also be easy to say that my usb hub run out of juice as initially it worked fine. In this case that is more likely option as that thing was cheap. Time will tell I guess. One thing is safe to say though... I definitely is not about the drivers 🙂

Patrn_Flyr
Explorer
Yup me too.  Seemed to be fixed with the latest patch but reappeared yesterday.  Temperature or humidity issue as it seems to be variable???

Dakiller1009
Explorer
Yeah it is weird. It happened to me and I restarted oculus and then it was back to normal. But before the 1.39 update it always had delay and no matter what I did it was there. Now it can be fixed with a restart. I don't know what's going on. I have only encountered it like once every couple of days now. Used to be all the time. So I guess it's improved a bit? 

Dreadpirateflap
Expert Protege
Yep, I just had it in Blade and sorcery after a whole day of no issues. 9/10 times I was throwing stuff it was fine, every now and then the grip issue would rear it's ugly head and the knife would flop to the floor.