New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Realistic age limit for VR?

TheWombatCaveTheWombatCave Posts: 43
Brain Burst
To get to the point, I have kids, age 4 and 2, that LOVE Vr.  I keep it simple and only few minutes at a time, but their minds are blown when they can stand at the landing sight of mars curiosity, or draw in full 360 3D on quill.  My 4 year old daughter has recently become obsessed with flying in VR.  I have let her play with Rush vr and Ultrawings, but she has become addicted.  I do not feel they are bad influences as she loves to fly, but is there any real downside to her viewing vr?  I try to keep it to 30 minute sessions or less, only 10 or minutes for 2 year old.  But, it is clear to see she would spend hours in it if I let her.  Here is her playing Rush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S-n3cdsMIM&t

She loves VR flying so much I paid for a lesson to fly in a Cessna 172, and she did fantastic, flew 15 minutes of the 1.5 hour flight solo, instructor agreed she was a natural.  She has begged to fly again ever since.  I do feel Vr is the best way to train. I do own both Oculus and HTC Vive, i'm just concerned on effects of prolonged exposure.  I do feel at current rate by migrating to Microsoft flight sim X or Xplane she could have her pilots licence by 11 or 12, but will there be any visual or emotional damage from using VR as such a tool.  Just curious of opinions from other users or any VR data I have not seen yet, let me know.  Thank you in advance for any help.  

Here is a 360 video of her flying if anyone wants a VR view of her flying over coast in Florida...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWMub2FmYss
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheWombatCave
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vrcave/
CV1 | HTC Vive | Virtuix Omni | Logitech G25 Racing

Comments

• bauuubassbauuubass Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Well, it's tricky to answer, but I think it as with everything these days, if it comes in moderation and under supervision it should be fine :))
  • reb1rthreb1rth Posts: 19
    Brain Burst
    I'm not qualified to answer.  I went into VR knowing that I am guinea pig.
  • parsecnparsecn Posts: 133
    Art3mis
    I do believe Oculus and other VR manufacturers put their product at 13+ for a variety of reasons.

Someone more qualified than myself can answer in regard to early brain and eye development, but as a parent of young children I err on the side of common sense, provide supervision and allow only limited bursts of in-VR (and now choose safe experiences). Supervision is tantamount, especially with children new to VR. Many are non-communicative and while most are quietly having the time of their lives in VR, the reverse can be true where the experience can be overwhelming yet they're unable to properly express their fear, reservation, etc. 

I had a young boy 10 years of age (my son's bestie) who we setup with SUPERHOT and he appeared to do well and understand the progression of the game, etc. He reached the stage early-on where to prove your worth, you need to turn the gun on yourself and shoot (yourself) in the head. Needless to say, even with my son's encouragement of, "Just shoot yourself in the head" (to proceed) he absolutely refused and became visibly upset. The whole episode lasted less than 30 seconds, but in that time he acutely and viscerally rejected suicide and it freaked him out to the point where he almost fell down and he was shouting, "I will never kill myself." I quickly pulled him out of VR and even had "the talk" with his parents at pickup (we have a close relationship where this wasn't uncomfortable, thankfully) to give them the heads-up in the event he spoke about it at home, had nightmares, etc. That one was on me and in retrospect, I'm a total dick for exposing a child to this world; a world and game which is my Son's favourite where he has no misrepresentation of what is real and what is virtual. He just doesn't over-think it.

Unrelated, I've always wondered about correct IPD for the little ones and what they're actually seeing as we adults seem to obsess over the sweet-spot to hell and back. None of my kids (or their friends) wear glasses and I doubt any of them would know their IPD at age 11, but all the same I tend to just plop on the HMD (CV1) at 65 and all seems fine. Should I be taking the time to better determine each child's IPD (and / or just go lowest for best experience)?
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,948 Valuable Player
    A kid's eyesight stops developing around 6 years old, the size of their eyeballs stop around 12/13.

I personally wouldn't put a kid under the age of 6 in VR, even for 10 minutes.
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 975
    3Jane
    I personally would not allow 2 or 4 anywere near a VR headset, or a tablet or phone for that matter.
  • GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,324
    Wintermute
    the way my optician explained it to me is that as the VR headset does not require your eyes to change the focal length of their lenses, with all images appearing to be at around a metre and a half away, the eye muscles would not get sufficient exercise, particularly for youngsters.

I might have misunderstood, but either way and no disrespect intended to the people on this forum, i would check with an optician before making any decisions about something as important as your kids' eyesight.
  • sraurasraura Posts: 590
    Trinity
    edited August 2019
    I have 10 year old and won't let her use the vr goggles as manufacturers recommend 13+.
    If they believed it is safe, they would sell them to 1 year old without any hesitation.
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 889
    Trinity
    any extended exposure to video for a growing brain will result in a lord of the flies type child personality. they need to have limited access so they are controlled in their teen years and young adult life.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,948 Valuable Player
    any extended exposure to video for a growing brain will result in a lord of the flies type child personality. they need to have limited access so they are controlled in their teen years and young adult life.

This is how things were growing up in Margate  :D
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 889
    Trinity
    edited August 2019
    i believe it. so many schools are out of control with unruly youth misbehaving, brain damage. then they have the idea to control them with more brain damage through shock therapy;

and with the nwo making homogenized societies become one society and like china we might get this imposed one day for seemingly no reason we know about;

maybe a heads up to keep your childs time watching videos and TV shows and playing videogames under control to be safe.

coincidentally, the vr headsets have all their board electronics where its nearest the forehead, thats the same place exactly where they put the electronics for shock therapy. hm.