Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Will HTC Ever Learn..?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Argos are selling the HTC Vive Cosmos for 700 quid:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1478655

So the Rift S is going to be 300 quid cheaper and the Valve Index only 220 quid more expensive.

No surprise tbh, the company has been run by idiots for quite some time now.
68 REPLIES 68

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oculus will be making a profit on each Rift S sold. They're selling the Quest at cost so a reasonable assumption would be that they're making ~$100 on each Rift S sold.

I don't mind them doing that because they've done it for two reasons:

1) To make a profit on hardware for once.

2) Having the product launching for $299/£299 is, believe it or not, TOO cheap. If people see something that cheap they'll assume it isn't good enough quality. Oculus would end up having more sales at the higher price.

Anonymous
Not applicable
If they're making a profit of ~$100, then why couldn't they afford to include an actual manual IPD adjustment?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oculus. Lenovo are probably getting a 5-7% cut of the sale price through their Licence deal and manufacturing fee. 10% at the VERY most.

Oculus and Lenovo aren't 50-50 partners.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Spuzzum said:

An extra camera, larger resolution screen, earphones, and an actual mechanical IPD adjustment do mean a higher price. And as OculusHomie points out, Oculus/Facebook are selling at a loss just to push the headset to as many people as possible. Does that mean the Cosmos is worth $365 more than the Rift-S? Not sure...but the mechanical IPD adjustment was too much for Oculus to put in the Rift-S and still keep it at $399. The Cosmos also flips up...that's an added cost in parts and production.

It has everything I was expecting Rift S to have and for that reason I will consider buying it when I hear more about it. I wonder how much Oculus would have charged for Rift S if it had all the things HTC Cosmos has. I want to hear about the build quality of this HTC Cosmos first though, and also see if the launch goes smoothly. I just hope it doesn't have the glare of the Valve index or all the problems we have seen with other headsets this year.
I would have liked to have seen it priced at £600, but I'm not going to moan about £700 if it's a good VR headset without  problems. I've also heard their customer service isn't great, so I'll be purchasing it from a store instead of getting it direct.
Now we wait and see if OculusVR will work with Lenovo on a Rift-S+
concept to address the issues, or if they feel that being the cheap PC
option in a undefined market is a business winner - or if focusing 100%
on Quest (Standalone) will be the smart play as most feel they will.
I think it's time for Oculus to cater for the higher end PC -VR market, or risk losing it to HTC and Valve. A Rift S + would be nice, I've being saying this all along. I've also said that if you want to get billions of people into VR then you have to cater for both the cheaper and higher end markets.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:

I was right about the Vive and the Vive Pro too, the Steam Survey every month says so. B)

As you know not all users run Steam - its obvious, unless you dont want to admit it?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

snowdog said:

I was right about the Vive and the Vive Pro too, the Steam Survey every month says so. B)

As you know not all users run Steam - its obvious, unless you dont want to admit it?

The vast majority do because Viveport is pants compared to Steam and the Oculus Store.

Now you COULD argue that a reasonable chunk of VR headset owners only use the Oculus Store because you gain access to it whenever Rift and Rift S owners put their headsets on, but the amount of Vive and Vive Pro owners that ONLY use Viveport would be a VERY small minority, even after the Infinity thing started.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Anyone with a Vive is going to have Steam, that's just a no-brainer. VivePort can't compete, and there isn't much of a reason for someone to spend all that money that HTC demands for their VR HMD's, and then completely avoid the best VR Environment and StoreFront available.

That's like buying a sports car but never getting on a highway.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
£700….... Now I don't know exact details about cosmos like FOV and IPD adjustment and tracking quality. I have not followed it recently perhaps you have... But £700?. I could live with that IF it is high quality VR.

Significantly cheaper than index and decent resolution. Am pretty interested to be honest. 
Put it this way I would pay that for a premium oculus rift. I need to know more but the price has not put me off like index did
Also Argos for me are a local store and their customer service is top drawer so would be more happy buying from them than direct from HTC
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:

kevinw729 said:

snowdog said:

The vast majority do because Viveport is pants compared to Steam and the Oculus Store.

No argument here about the quality of Viveport - or Viveport arcade. But again, you are making an unhealthy assumption on the "vast majority" - Enterprise represents 40% of HTC VIVE, VIVE PRO deployment, and these groups do not use the Steam platform. You are also missing out the SpringboardVR platform that has a major share in this sector. I know its easy to get fixated in the claimed Steam Oculu>Vive number battle but there is a world outside of this.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
If it's really true that Enterprise makes up 40% of HTC's VR business (although zero evidence has been introduced to prove that), then they are in even more trouble that I thought! Not only is their attempt to double down on Enterprise VR very recent, there have been zero indicators that any of their efforts have landed deals dealing with millions, or even thousands of units. On top of that, HTC would be trying to compete with Microsoft in the VR Enterprise arena, and Microsoft has their own platform that is already being used by global organizations (including Fortune 500 and Fortune 1000 companies).

Unless sales figures are introduced to prove otherwise, VR for the Enterprise doesn't help HTC's case in this matter at all.

Lastly, the price for Cosmos as discussed in this thread is the Consumer price, not Enterprise Licensing price. And HTC's financial ruin over the years is due to their Consumer pricing model. Bringing up Enterprise in this discussion is a red herring, and quite irrelevant. HTC has always had an Enterprise offering for their products. But that didn't save them from needing a Google buyout to survive.