New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S USB driver update recommended warning

13»

Comments

• Initial-DInitial-D Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Initial-D said:
    Initial-D said:
    So on the ASRock Z370 Pro4 board, I enabled Thunderbolt (which presumably only affects USB-C) and this caused the indicator in Oculus Software to turn green. I don't know exactly what changes internally on the board because the Rift S is still plugged in a standard USB 3 port, but it appears to have worked. I'm not sure if this applies to other boards, but it may have something to do with how the USB ports get initialized or what they advertise to support when Oculus probes them to read their capabilities. Interesting find nonetheless since I did not update any drivers..
    How did you do that? 
    From the UEFI bios settings of my motherboard. But I should note that nothing changes performance wise the Rift S works the same as before

This worked for me. Also I noticed that Oculus Home performance increased to high graphics from medium. Devices all green.
    Correlation rather than causation 
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,149 Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 25

I'm pretty sure this is caused by the USB extensible host drivers dated 19th June and came with the v1903 18362.239 Windows update.

Unfortunately I've deleted my Windows upgrade folder now, I usually keep a copy for a couple months but for some reason I was feeling optimistic enough to free up SSD space.

Otherwise I could have reverted back to the previous drivers. I've been searching for those on the web to test out but so far it's proving impossible to track them down.

Anyway, I'm just ignoring the update advisory as it's probably just there because Oculus haven't updated their preferred driver list.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.418)
  • lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 291
    Nexus 6

I'm pretty sure this is caused by the USB extensible host drivers dated 19th June and came with the v1903 18362.239 Windows update.

Unfortunately I've deleted my Windows upgrade folder now, I usually keep a copy for a couple months but for some reason I was feeling optimistic enough to free up SSD space.

Otherwise I could have reverted back to the previous drivers. I've been searching for those on the web to test out but so far it's proving impossible to track them down.

Anyway, I'm just ignoring the update advisory as it's probably just there because Oculus haven't updated their preferred driver list.

Yep, I think you are right. I've never seen the USB warning since having the Rift S, but yesterday I updated to 1903 and up it popped. Just the warning, everything is performing perfectly though. :)
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
  • clemencaclemenca Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    The usb warning was gone on Tuesday with 1.39 home and firmware update, then on wendnes day comes MS update kb4512937 and the usb warning was back again. I am on the latest usb intel driver for my tuf z390 mainboard released bei Asus on 22.07.19. (V10.1.18019.8144)
    Also i get a new warning that my default audio device isnt Rift S audio device...

• ExDeusMachinaExDeusMachina Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    clemenca said:
    The usb warning was gone on Tuesday with 1.39 home and firmware update, then on wendnes day comes MS update kb4512937 and the usb warning was back again. I am on the latest usb intel driver for my tuf z390 mainboard released bei Asus on 22.07.19. (V10.1.18019.8144)
    Also i get a new warning that my default audio device isnt Rift S audio device...

Got exactly the same issue.
    NerveGear
    Sadly still got the problem at the setup. USB 3.0 wont be detected. Already changed the power supply from 500W to 700W - no change.
    Intel Drivers installed
    Tried your method
    All Windows updates done 

not c

• sraurasraura Posts: 589
    Trinity
    Sadly still got the problem at the setup. USB 3.0 wont be detected. Already changed the power supply from 500W to 700W - no change.
    Intel Drivers installed
    Tried your method
    All Windows updates done 

not c

If you have thunderbolt setting in UEFI bios settings - try to enable that - even if you're not using your possible USB-C port. If that was not it, other USB related things to try can be found from here.
    NerveGear
    sraura said:
    Intel Drivers installed
    Tried your method
    All Windows updates done 

not c

If you have thunderbolt setting in UEFI bios settings - try to enable that - even if you're not using your possible USB-C port. If that was not it, other USB related things to try can be found from here.
    Sadly it didn't work neither. I think I have to wait for an update. Also will try it with a PCIe card.
  • LameDuckWarriorLameDuckWarrior Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    edited July 26
    Yeah, I did the whole uninstall in safe mode delete all oculus folders blah blah blah AGAIN. Same boat. Just sitting tight awaiting an Oculus fix. It's definitely software. Windows 10 BTW
  • kidshibuyakidshibuya Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    So any word from Oculus on this? its supper annoying, its not happy with any of my ports, even the RTX Virtual Link port.
  • sraurasraura Posts: 589
    Trinity
    edited July 26

Yea this seems to be really random. I got exactly same OS build than you and same USB driver (10.0.18362.207, 19th of june). All green.

I got Asus prime z270 - that is pretty much the only difference.

-----

Also reminder to everyone experiencing issues with orange light....Shut down the computer after changes or after driver or software updates. Simple restart won't necessarily make that go away.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,149 Volunteer Moderator
    sraura said:

Yea this seems to be really random. I got exactly same OS build than you and same USB driver (10.0.18362.207, 19th of june). All green.

I got Asus prime z270 - that is pretty much the only difference.

-----

Also reminder to everyone experiencing issues with orange light....Shut down the computer after changes or after driver or software updates. Simple restart won't necessarily make that go away.
    I had a brief green light after reinstalling drivers a few days back but the same trick isn't working now. I should have kept my Windows Upgrade folder a bit longer to test the previous drivers but as this doesn't seem to be causing any problems I'm happy to let Oculus work through the issue.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.418)
  • VortimousVortimous Posts: 54
    Brain Burst
    Its causing a problem for me... since the windows 10 update not only do I have the USB needs updateing error, but mine wont even power on under my main windows user.  The same user log in that I have been using since day1 and its worked fine up till this update.  Ironically, without touching it and logging into a dummy windows user account, it works fine.  Same PC, same windows upgrades, same ports being used... it works like normal.  Logg back into my main windows user (where it was working) says its not working...  So it is def a software or driver issue... I just hope they fix it soon....
    NerveGear
    Ok guys, I got mine working.
    Bought a PCI Express USB 3.0 Card from amazon plugged it in, aaaaand my Oculus is detected and works flawlessly.

Specs: 
    Gigabyte Z77X-D3H mainboard
    Intel i73770K CPU
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 graphic
    Windows 10 Pro (1903)

PCI Express card costs 15,74€ on amazon.

I think right now its the only thing that works fine.

• CasepbCasepb Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    I have this issue now as well.  I checked and my USB drivers are up to date.
  • GameKingMikeGameKingMike Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Initial-D said:
    So on the ASRock Z370 Pro4 board, I enabled Thunderbolt (which presumably only affects USB-C) and this caused the indicator in Oculus Software to turn green. I don't know exactly what changes internally on the board because the Rift S is still plugged in a standard USB 3 port, but it appears to have worked. I'm not sure if this applies to other boards, but it may have something to do with how the USB ports get initialized or what they advertise to support when Oculus probes them to read their capabilities. Interesting find nonetheless since I did not update any drivers..
    Just enabled my Thunderbolt on my ASRock z390 phantom gaming sli/ac and it worked!  Everything is all green!
  • andyb66andyb66 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited August 3

Same issue with USB message here. But i discovered tracking issues too, since this warning popped up...so it has to be more than only a message!

Regarding the tracking issues, they started appearing after the rift s Firmware was upgraded to 1.8.1 and the Controllers became an update too...this is also when the usb message appeared on my side.

• amer1kaamer1ka Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    We just updated our Rift-S firmware and suddenly started having this issue on both my GF's streaming PC and on our living room PC.  The Rift-S was working just fine before the firmware update.  We are on Rift-S firmware 1.8.1.
  • LaceyaFinleyLaceyaFinley Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Pic0o said:
    I had this orange warning too, before I applied the DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 update for my Nvidia 1080Ti.
    https://www.nvidia.com/object/nv-uefi-update-x64.html

It didn't seem to cause any actual issues but I wanted to share in case others were on similar hardware.
    OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! This fixed it for me <3
  • RodDawg117RodDawg117 Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    In my case it seems that a recent oculus update resolved the issue of recommending a USB driver update even though non were available.
  • DanielGagneDanielGagne Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Hello everyone,

Oculus released a new PTC version that fixes this warning.

I just installed version  1.40.0.278432  and the warning is gone even after a reboot of my PC.

Enjoy VR,
  • oldbikergitoldbikergit Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    philrlee said:
    My Rift S has been working well all week. Today it has started showing an orange indicator in the Devices section. In there it displays the warning:

USB driver update recommended

When I go into the headset it has a warning triangle next to USB. When I hover over the ? it shows the following tooltip:

Your headset is plugged in correctly. If you encounter tracking issues, updating your driver (Intel) may improve performance.

I have made now changes to the PC so don't understand why this message is suddenly being displayed. All my USB drivers are up to date so I'm at a loss on how to fix it. I am currently opted into the PTC and have 1.38.0.256587 installed.
    Just enrolled on that public beta thing and the problem has gone. Funny how I didn’t update the drivers like it asked lol
    Yes it worked for me, Public Test Channel and USB warning gone.
    NerveGear
    USB warning is gone too on my side, but the warning when not using the rift s speaker is a bit annoying, as i'm using my external sound system. Sometimes i get a Display port Connection error and i have to reboot my rig, don't know why this happens, gpu is a GTX1080Ti
  • philrleephilrlee Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    The 1.40 update has resolved this for me too.
    NerveGear
    Don't know if it is related to the PTC, but i have a problem when using the Rift S, then taking the headset off and when putting it back on, the displays inside the HMD do not turn on again, it does not happen everytime, but at least one time a day. Then i Need to Restart Oculus home to get it working again...very annoying.