Rift S 1.39.0.272909 Controller Tracking issue — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S 1.39.0.272909 Controller Tracking issue

john.skeochjohn.skeoch Posts: 7
NerveGear
edited August 5 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
Hi all, 

(RIFT S) Since updating to 1.39 the tracking is generally better, but I find when I bring two controllers up to arms length in front of me, the two controllers appear to interfere with each other. For example, if I move the left slowly up and down the right will track that movement and match it, if I then move the right again after a second it snaps back to place. Similarly, if I move the right controller while keeping the left stationary the movement will lag and take a second to snap into place, like the controller is going into a low power state.

this only appears to happen with slow movement (bow, iron sights rifles) and when the two controllers are within 5 inches of each other, NOTE not occluding each other.  

Is there a bug registered already for this, has anyone else experienced this?

Gypsy

Comments

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,113
    Wintermute
    Firstly, you didn't say if you are using Rift or Rift S.
    Oculus should have realised there would be ambiguity in forum posts and confusion over which model is being written about.

Secondly, there's already a thread about this version (1.39.0.272909) "pinned" at the top of the forum so that all the information can be kept in one place........
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/78839/rift-1-39-release-rolling-out-now#latest

Hi all, 
    Is there a bug registered already for this, has anyone else experienced this?
    Gypsy

Probably this is already talked about. Check the thread above.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • john.skeochjohn.skeoch Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I would also suggest this seems to happen when the controller are tilted forward, so the ring is in full view. I tested it with the grip down and the problem seemed mostly absent.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,556 Valuable Player
    edited August 5
    I believe that's because one controller is blocking the other from being seen. Which means your headset camera's can't see both controllers. I think you have to keep the controller furthest away slightly higher. That will allow the headsets camera's to see both controllers. I don't have Rift S anymore though, so I could be wrong.
    NerveGear
    Thanks for your feedback RedRizla, but the controllers are next to each other and they are not blocking one and other. I confirmed 100% with a person watching and using passthrough. The weirdness happens when they are around 5 inches apart and of equal distance from the HMD.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,556 Valuable Player
    edited August 5
    In that case I would wait for some more replies then. I misunderstood what you meant, so hopefully someone else can help you. I don't have Rift S anymore to test this out for you.
    NerveGear
    Ok, I did some more testing, it seems to center around the way I hold the touch controllers. 
    If you hold the controllers so your hands appear upright in Oculus Home you don't experience any tracking issues, however if you tilt the touch controllers forward, and in Oculus Home your hands are effectively pointing away from you. You will know if you are emulating this as you will see into our VR wrists. That's when the tracking goes wild, which seems strange as more of the ring is visible. Anyway seems like "I'm holding it wrong" but if Oculus can make magic like 1.39 close tracking, maybe they can address this?