New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift-S Controllers Lag in Grip Release

Comments

• Stevenugent83Stevenugent83 Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    sraura said:
    I seriously think about buying pci-e usb card too, because with latest (static fix) patch rift usb connection seems to be green or randomly go orange. If it goes orange, I usually get the trigger lag too...

I am starting to believe that this is yet another power issue and that rift drains so much power from usb port, that it may actually have negative impact to my motherboards health on long run. For that reason I am probably going to invest to some decent expansion card and try it out. Just need to figure out some good model/brand 1st.
    I have an oculus recommended usb card with latest drivers and it has the same issue. 

• sraurasraura Posts: 589
    Trinity
    edited July 31
    sraura said:
    I seriously think about buying pci-e usb card too, because with latest (static fix) patch rift usb connection seems to be green or randomly go orange. If it goes orange, I usually get the trigger lag too...

I am starting to believe that this is yet another power issue and that rift drains so much power from usb port, that it may actually have negative impact to my motherboards health on long run. For that reason I am probably going to invest to some decent expansion card and try it out. Just need to figure out some good model/brand 1st.
    I have an oculus recommended usb card with latest drivers and it has the same issue.
    Thanks... Good to know.

I actually browsed some cards and came to conclusion that before trying that solution, I will buy cheap 1m usb 3.0 extension cord, so I can link rift to my externally powered USB hub and see if that makes any difference. In fact it solves my anxiety towards my motherboards health and if that works fine - will be good enough "fix". I don't really have any serious problems, but hate things which behave randomly.
  • geoff.killickgeoff.killick Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    I have the Inatek powered USB card and It still does It. Also get random Orange USB warning. 
    Trinity
    edited July 31
    Looks like another bug in the code then. However I'll still get the extension cable and let you know how it goes... I already have this, but currently it is located too far from the computer and it is easier to get that 8€ 1m usb 3 extension than start moving my stuff around...
    Hiro Protagonist
    Oculus recommended to me not to get extension cords a as it can increase delay in inputs etc. 

I havent tested it. Just passing on what they said to me. 
    Trinity
    edited July 31
    Ok that was interesting testing... I actually managed to get rift s connected to that usb hub without extension. Forgot that is has rather lengthy wires after the splitter.

Anyways it pretty much went like this;

Initially everything was working normal - all green lights. Oculus home worked fine and I could throw things around without problem. If there was grip lag, it was meaningless. One might say that the hand was opening tiny bit slower than without the usb hub, but if it did - the difference was so small that it is impossible to tell for sure.

But then... After computer reboot I got the usb update warning and "no rift audio"-warning. Never had that one before... I toyed around for a moment trying the basic unplug and replug sort of stuff and situation actually went from bad to worse... Rift kind of seemed to die. Oculus didn't find the device at all... not even after couple more reboots. Not sure if this is because of the 1m usb cord which that usb hub has or because of the few other devices I've connected to it. Only one 2,5" usb hard drive was actually draining power from it...

Going back to original setup, where rift is connected directly to computers back panel solved the issue back to the point where I either get all green or orange usb update warning.

As conclusion from all this I still didn't get answer I was looking for... I would be easy to say that orange usb warning problems are probably caused by the long 5m cord what "rift s" comes with as problems get worse if you extend it even further. It would also be easy to say that my usb hub run out of juice as initially it worked fine. In this case that is more likely option as that thing was cheap. Time will tell I guess. One thing is safe to say though... I definitely is not about the drivers :)
  • Patrn_FlyrPatrn_Flyr Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    Yup me too.  Seemed to be fixed with the latest patch but reappeared yesterday.  Temperature or humidity issue as it seems to be variable???
  • Dakiller1009Dakiller1009 Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Yeah it is weird. It happened to me and I restarted oculus and then it was back to normal. But before the 1.39 update it always had delay and no matter what I did it was there. Now it can be fixed with a restart. I don't know what's going on. I have only encountered it like once every couple of days now. Used to be all the time. So I guess it's improved a bit? 
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yep, I just had it in Blade and sorcery after a whole day of no issues. 9/10 times I was throwing stuff it was fine, every now and then the grip issue would rear it's ugly head and the knife would flop to the floor.
  • Twisted_Midnight420Twisted_Midnight420 Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    I have had this same issue with tracking lag and at least in my case i have found that its the type of light that was causing my issue so when i was using natural daylight cloudy and sunny i found my tracking lagged but when i drew the curtains and tried with a 50 Hz lamp even on a low setting my tracking was perfect so its something to try i have also informed oculus support of this.
  • falconlxfalconlx Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have it in the triggers too. My guns fire after I release the trigger in Pavlov and wardust wasting ammo. And don't get me started on trying to throw granades, simply impossible 
    Hiro Protagonist
    I have had this same issue with tracking lag and at least in my case i have found that its the type of light that was causing my issue so when i was using natural daylight cloudy and sunny i found my tracking lagged but when i drew the curtains and tried with a 50 Hz lamp even on a low setting my tracking was perfect so its something to try i have also informed oculus support of this.
    Tracking is a different issue to the grip release I believe.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yep, I just had it in Blade and sorcery after a whole day of no issues. 9/10 times I was throwing stuff it was fine, every now and then the grip issue would rear it's ugly head and the knife would flop to the floor.
    I was being a doughnut and hadn't signed back into the PTC, all  the grip issues have gone again for now, played an hour with no grip issues.
    Trinity
    edited August 3
    Yep... light is one thing we might want to experiment more. It is always random enough to give random results on random times of the day. We don't always have our light sources on and rely to natural light. Could also explain why I sometimes get green light and sometimes the usb driver update warning. Too much light light can be as bad as too little of it... Also one earlier thread experimented with different kind of light sources... Perhaps need to take another look to that and post some more results there.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Light doesn’t have anything to do with the grip issues. That is different from the tracking. 
    Trinity
    edited August 3
    I have feeling that they are all somehow linked together. This is because I've experienced grip issue while having "usb driver recommended" warning. Sometimes it is barely noticeable and sometimes (very rarely) the quality where you have to remove the battery covers. Then again sometimes I don't get the warning at all. I had not really thought it before, but light could be the random factor in the equation. Might be something related to calibration when rift determines the "quality" of connection or something else... Seems to happen only after restart... Would need to ask details from tech expert... Too early to say much more though. Just something to experiment on.
    And yes - I am guessing on this particular subject as not enough facts about it around yet.
    Hiro Protagonist
    sraura said:
    I have feeling that they are all somehow linked together. This is because I've experienced grip issue while having "usb driver recommended" warning. Sometimes it is barely noticeable and sometimes (very rarely) the quality where you have to remove the battery covers. Then again sometimes I don't get the warning at all. I had not really thought it before, but light could be the random factor in the equation. Might be something related to calibration when rift determines the "quality" of connection or something else... Seems to happen only after restart... Would need to ask details from tech expert... Too early to say much more though. Just something to experiment on.
    And yes - I am guessing on this particular subject as not enough facts about it around yet.
    I think it’s has been confirmed that it’s the magnets on the cover messing with the sensors in the controller. As when you remove the the input numbers change.  
    Trinity
    edited August 4
    sraura said:
    I think it’s has been confirmed that it’s the magnets on the cover messing with the sensors in the controller. As when you remove the the input numbers change.  
    Yes it has been confirmed and if I recall, the fix had something to do with the calibration. However to me it is unclear why that happens randomly in latest patch and at least for me it is now related to usb connection "quality". If all green, no grip lag. If orange usb recommended warning, then I might get these "calibration"-issues. Sometimes bad, sometimes barely noticeable.
    Edit: and there went that theory... today I got severe grip lag even I got no usb driver update recommendation (all icons were green). However I started my computer earlier that day when there was plenty of daylight and when I later started using rift, room was rather dark. Forgot to turn on light before picking the hmd up. After reboot the lag went away. Anyways what I wrote below seems to still be accurate so will leave it there for now.
    All what I can say reliably is, that if there is no lag after I start up rift 1st time after booting the computer, there won't be any during that session. There might be exception if HMD goes to guardian setup during use, but haven't tested that yet...  If there is grip lag after booting the computer, it won't go away without booting the computer (or possibly by unplugging rift which I try to avoid).
    This has been pretty much lottery day to day basis... So I am looking the X factor here what makes the difference. I agree that "light" is far fetched, but at this point won't rule anything out before testing. In the end it is bug in code and just need to figure out what triggers it for me and for some others.
  • RodDawg117RodDawg117 Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    edited August 6
    So, not sure if someone has suggested this, but I think the magnets in the battery covers are interfering with the grab button release. I tried the fix someone mentioned of pulling the covers off during gameplay and WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT!! I can now throw bullets in Robo Recall with ease! Super hot is darn near impossible to play unless you pull the battery covers off. Maybe Oculus could tune a little of the firmware to register a full release a little early? Either way, lose the covers and the release will be MUCH more responsive. I just need to figure out how to avoid sweating into the controllers now :sweat_smile:

Edit, Yeah, what Kojack said. Exactly that.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,381
    Project 2501
    The battery cover off solution has already been discussed early on in this thread (see pages 1 and 2).  This was one of the issues that prompted me to return my Rift S and go back to my Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

• MarhierMarhier Posts: 1
    NerveGear

Hi everyone.
    Longtime viewer, first time poster.

Regarding this issue with the grip lag, just thought I'd drop in and tell you of my experience.

Upgraded to the Rift S and noticed the grip lag instantly when throwing a paper aeroplane in the 'First Steps' app; tested in multiple games and the issue persisted.
    I read lots of forums about possible solutions and sure enough, removing the battery covers solved this issue for me.

Obviously, that's not a solution I was happy with, nor do I think it's acceptable.
    I logged a call with them, they asked me to send my controllers to them using a pre-paid postage label, which they sent to my email address.
    3 days after I sent them, I received two new controllers in the post, tested them last night and the issue seems to have been resolved; need to do some more extensive testing, but they seem fine now.

All in all, quite a pleasent experience from their customer support team... I didn't have to battle with them, they instantly asked me to send them into them for replacement

If you're having this issue, I suggest doing what I did and log the following call, which gives them all the information they'll need to get you replacements sent.

Call:
    "I recently upgraded to the Rift S and whilst playing, I've noticed there's a significant amount of lag between letting go of the grip buttons and the action happening in-game.
    This makes a majority of titles I play unplayable, as items that need to be thrown just drop to my side instead.

Reading online, people have mentioned taking the battery covers off the new touch controllers stops this issue, and I have to say, it seems to resolve the issue for me as well, but it's not comfortable to do so, nor is it a solution I find acceptable.

How common is this issue; is this a fault with the design of the new touch controllers - is the magnetic battery cover interfering with the sensors?
    Will this be able to be fixed with a firmware update, or am I going to need new touch controllers?

It seems odd that the design of the controllers isn't too different than the original Rift, and I didn't have this problem with them.
    I'm also not happy paying £400 for a broken system.

Just so you know, I have tried fresh installs of the Oculus software, tested multiple USB 3.0 and 3.1 Gen 2 ports and various different brands of batteries to see if this solves the problem.
    The only thing that seems to resolve the issue is staking the battery covers off; though it still happens every now and then.

Left Touch Controller SN: *enter serial number here*
    Right Touch Controller SN: *enter serial number here*

I have attached a copy of my receipt, which shows you the following information:
    Retailer, invoice number, invoice date, order number, account number and what was purchased.

Shipping details as follows:
    *enter your home address here*

My phone number is:
    *enter your phone number here*

Need anything else, please let me know.
    Much appreciated.
    Thank you."

Hopefully this works for you.
    Marhier
    :D
  • Redlightning7777Redlightning7777 Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    Has this issue received a viable solution as of yet. 

I get this problem so bad that 90 percent of the games that I own I cannot play.. 

I've been going back and forth with support.. and the say that wanted a video..  

Weird that the issue is known .. but I have to provide all of this. 

I did though.. still waiting for a response. 

400 dollars and its been one issue after another with this unit. 

• Lethal_AimsLethal_Aims Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    it is weird that one person gets replacements without too much hassle whilst another has to jump through hoops and record a video. Sounds like customer support still don't recognise this as a known issue or they have no incident management processes. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    Are the people still having issues signed up to the PTC? because I haven't had any issues since they patched it  (so far) in the last PTC.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Has this issue received a viable solution as of yet. 

I get this problem so bad that 90 percent of the games that I own I cannot play.. 

I've been going back and forth with support.. and the say that wanted a video..  

Weird that the issue is known .. but I have to provide all of this. 

I did though.. still waiting for a response. 

400 dollars and its been one issue after another with this unit. 

They patched it in the PTC, its working fine for me so far.
  • Lethal_AimsLethal_Aims Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited August 17

Hopefully that is the case, nothing in the release notes though. I'll have to give it a try.
    Hiro Protagonist

Hopefully that is the case, nothing in the release notes though. I'll have to give it a try.
    I have only had about an hour in VR in the past few weeks, but i was told by customer service that it was one of the things they patched in the PTC, they are really vague with some things in the patch notes. it's annoying.
    I was also told first of all it was a hardware problem, then a software issue... so I don't think the communication there is very good tbh. I am hopefully going to play more tonight and see if I get the issue, blade and sorcery always had the issue within minutes for me (probably because of the amounf of gripping you do in the game) so gonna try and have a long session of that to see if it does it.

I have had two sets of controllers (pre patch) and both had the exact same issue, so I wouldn't bother going through the hassle of sending them back again.
    Brain Burst

I have only had about an hour in VR in the past few weeks, but i was told by customer service that it was one of the things they patched in the PTC, they are really vague with some things in the patch notes. it's annoying.
    I was also told first of all it was a hardware problem, then a software issue... so I don't think the communication there is very good tbh. I am hopefully going to play more tonight and see if I get the issue, blade and sorcery always had the issue within minutes for me (probably because of the amounf of gripping you do in the game) so gonna try and have a long session of that to see if it does it.

I have had two sets of controllers (pre patch) and both had the exact same issue, so I wouldn't bother going through the hassle of sending them back again.
    I did not send it back ..   I thought, cause the controller was acting that way it was perhaps perhaps when I banged it against the wall by accident, as I was quite new to vr, so I just bought another . 

I'll have to try the beta again.. however I was avoiding it on account of the last time I opted in.. and back out.. I had to reinstall the whole driver, after manually removing it. 

Oh well.. I'll try the pre-release and see if that fixes the issue.. (man I hope so). 

Perhaps I was too hasty on the slightly agitated third support request if that is the case. 

Brain Burst
    Yea..  just opted in ..  rebooted even..   still does the same thing. 
    Darn. 

• s1ck_revenges1ck_revenge Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    What is PTC? I have this lag grip, and its very annoying... i need a solution :(