cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest / Go / Gear VR Build 7.0 Release Notes

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Features and updates listed here apply to Quest, Go and Gear VR unless otherwise noted. All content highlighted below will begin roll-out during the week of July 22, 2019.

VR Settings

• We’ve enhanced the overall audio experience, and added the ability to enable or disable your microphone in VR.
  • We’ve added a search bar throughout your in-VR experience so you can always find the content you’re looking for.
  • You can now opt-in to new features we’re testing from your settings menu under the “Experiments” section, like the bluetooth keyboard option we’ve highlighted below.
  • We’ve added an option in the settings panel for Night Mode to reduce blue light and ease eye strain.

Guardian (Quest)

We’ve improved the overall performance of Guardian and added the following new features:

• If your Guardian boundaries are too sensitive, you can adjust them from the Guardian settings page.
  • If you need to adjust your floor height, you no longer have to reset your Guardian. Instead, you can make adjustments right from your Guardian settings page.
  • You can now set multiple Guardians in the same room and switch between them.

Keyboard

• You can now use Bluetooth keyboards and gamepads to type and navigate in VR. You can find pairing options for your Bluetooth device in your headset’s settings panel under the experiments section.

Store

• We’ve updated the look and feel of the Oculus Store for Go and Gear VR.
  • You can now use filtering based on price, comfort or genre, to make it easier to find new apps you might be interested in.
  • If you’re interested in an app but not ready to purchase, you can save it to your wishlist for later.

Feed

We want to make sure that your Oculus experience is made just for you. To do that, we’ve added the following new features to customize your feed both in VR, and in the Oculus mobile app:
  • Follow your favorite games, developers and genres so you’ll be notified when there’s something new.
  • Let us know if you liked or disliked an app when you’re done using it, so we know what to recommend next.
  • Hide things from your feed that you don’t want to see again.

Headset Setup (Quest)

• We've updated the experience for adjusting the fit and improving the focus and clarity of your headset.
  • You can now auto-pair your headset from the Oculus mobile app if it's detected nearby.

Touch Controllers (Quest)

We’ve made performance improvements to better track your Touch controller movements in VR. These updates, which are also applicable for Rift S, include:
  • Improved tracking when controllers are close to the headset, and at angles turned away from the headset.
  • Improved tracking in difficult poses such as under-hand throwing motion.
  • Reduced re-acquisition time when controller tracking is lost.
  • You can now use both of your Touch controllers at the same time when interacting with different elements like the keyboard, Oculus Store, and Library.

• We’ve made enhancements that make it easier to update and edit your Oculus Avatar.

Notifications

• You can now receive notifications in VR and in the Oculus app on your phone when an event you’re interested in is starting.

-----

Edit: Night Mode was mistakenly included in these release notes, however this feature is not included in build 7.0. This feature is being targeted for a future release. Apologies for the confusion and thanks for your patience while our team continues to work on this one!
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!
91 REPLIES 91

hoboloco
Explorer
How do I enable the Bluetooth keyboard input? I want to pair the headset with my foot-operated controller that uses keyboard emulation and try it out. My headset version is 333690.2960.

I presume W and S will be forward and backward. I am hoping that A and D will turn rather than strafe. If not, will there be keys that will turn my view clockwise or counterclockwise (like a mouse in a 2D game)?

jab
Rising Star

Spuzzum said:

jab said:

Oculus reminds me of how ATI graphics cards used to be. Nice hardware with crappy software drivers. Problem being that it doesn't matter how nice the hardware is, if the software makes it unusable. And on the Quest they can't blame it on Windows updates, problematic PC hardware or bad user configurations, since they control every aspect of the platform.

The Quest is barely 2 months old though...bugs in the beginning are inevitable. At least the devs are trying to fix things as fast as possible.

Why? Have we become so jaded that we now think it is ok to sell a product before it is even finished? Granted the Quest problems haven't been as bad as with the Rift-S, but having problems with the main features like tracking etc. on a commercial product at release is not ok. It's like selling a car that sometimes steers left when you turn right.

Anonymous
Not applicable

jab said:

Spuzzum said:

jab said:

Oculus reminds me of how ATI graphics cards used to be. Nice hardware with crappy software drivers. Problem being that it doesn't matter how nice the hardware is, if the software makes it unusable. And on the Quest they can't blame it on Windows updates, problematic PC hardware or bad user configurations, since they control every aspect of the platform.

The Quest is barely 2 months old though...bugs in the beginning are inevitable. At least the devs are trying to fix things as fast as possible.

Why? Have we become so jaded that we now think it is ok to sell a product before it is even finished? Granted the Quest problems haven't been as bad as with the Rift-S, but having problems with the main features like tracking etc. on a commercial product at release is not ok. It's like selling a car that sometimes steers left when you turn right.

lol...you're talking about software, and things that weren't apparent to the devs until it was in the hands of actual customers. You can't foresee every single little thing that's going to come up along the way. If you think you can do better...then send them your resume.

ezop73
Rising Star

jab said:

Spuzzum said:

jab said:

If the product was completely finished, you'd never get an updates, there'd be no new feature because of people like yourself that complain, they'd just bring out an updated Headset with new completed featured firmware and ask you to pay another £500.

lobaki
Honored Guest
For those who are still having trouble on the Unreal packaging side of things...we were able to get our controllers working again by creating the ManifestRequirementsOverride.txt file in our Project/Build/Android directory and adding the line <uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.vr.headtracking" android:required="true" android:version="1"/>, as suggested above. 

However, this removed access to the sdcard for our app, so we weren't able to save local data (the app wouldn't show up in the UE4Game directory on the Quest either). We found that you need to open your AndroidManifest.xml file within Project/Intermediate/Android/APK/, and copy everything between <!-- Requirements --> and </manifest> to your ManifestRequirementsOverride.txt file (while also adding the new uses-feature line above). In our case, we needed access to local storage to save our game settings properly, and this was the solution (thanks to mervpls on this reddit thread for the help).

Here is the full text of our
ManifestRequirementsOverride.txt, which solved our issue:
<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="21" android:targetSdkVersion="21" />
<uses-feature android:glEsVersion="0x00020000" android:required="true" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WAKE_LOCK" />
<uses-permission android:name="com.android.vending.CHECK_LICENSE" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE" />
<!-- Supported texture compression formats (cooked) -->
<supports-gl-texture android:name="GL_KHR_texture_compression_astc_ldr" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" />
<uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.usb.host" />
<uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.vr.headtracking" android:required="true" android:version="1"/>

kikoano
Honored Guest
My oculus go controller totally stopped working after this update after few minutes of use today and i cannot pair it again. I hope this is software problem and gets fixed really soon.

ezop73
Rising Star
Oculus just pushed out another small update mines just updated to 333700.3780.0

No idea what's in the update, hopefully bugs fixed

GoldenRetroGames
Heroic Explorer

ezop73 said:

Oculus just pushed out another small update mines just updated to 333700.3780.0

No idea what's in the update, hopefully bugs fixed

Mine updated last night.  Didn't notice any immediate difference with it.  Maybe it'll resolve some of the controller issues people have been having.

Emilian1978
Protege
User version: 333700.3780.0

It would be nice if Oculus devs would actually say what's new/fixed with each firmware update.

The Share - Video recording isn't working anymore. The videos can be watched in Galery but once you copy them to PC they are useless. I'm using the video recording for debugging purposes. PLEASE FIX IT ASAP !

Thanks.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I seem to be getting slightly worse tracking with the latest update, for both the headset and the controllers (I've been occasionally getting head and hand tracking glitches, and I've never had this before).

I noticed that a few people complained of a similar tracking degradation with the Rift PTC updates (it got better with 1.39, then got worse, then got better again with incremental updates), so maybe the next update will improve things again for the Quest.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo