New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

is it possible to use external camera instead of built-in cameras on Oculus Quest?

bad000juicebad000juice Posts: 2
NerveGear
just like this:

what device should i get or what operations are supposed to do ?
if there are some tutorials would be even more sweet!
thank you for help!

Best Answer

• JohanTEAJohanTEA Posts: 55
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited August 7 Accepted Answer
    A first simple test would be to set up a network/web camera that publishes its video on a webpage, which is common for most network cameras. Then you can use the Oculus Quest web browser to see the video. If you show the video in full-screen it will likely be quite sufficient. Then you can use the remote vehicle controller as in the video you posted.

The second step (this can go on forever 😁 ) is to set up a VR 180 camera stream and show it in the browser. I'd say this should be almost exact what the posted video shows.

Considering hardware, I think a cheap remotely controlled car and an old smartphone is a good start. Run a webcam app on the smartphone and attach it to the remote car. It's a start at least, then you can upgrade to a better/more expensive camera later.

The next step would be to create a Quest specific app that can show the network camera VR video stream in a better way and implement remote control of the vehicle in the app to use the Quest controllers instead and perhaps use head movements to control the camera. But this is a lot of work for little gain in functionality.

I have been thinking of something like this (that's why I had the above steps on my mind). But currently I'm trying to learn Unity (I made a red cube and got it running in the Quest yesterday *yay!*).

Answers

• bad000juicebad000juice Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    JohanTEA said:
    A first simple test would be to set up a network/web camera that publishes its video on a webpage, which is common for most network cameras. Then you can use the Oculus Quest web browser to see the video. If you show the video in full-screen it will likely be quite sufficient. Then you can use the remote vehicle controller as in the video you posted.

The second step (this can go on forever 😁 ) is to set up a VR 180 camera stream and show it in the browser. I'd say this should be almost exact what the posted video shows.

Considering hardware, I think a cheap remotely controlled car and an old smartphone is a good start. Run a webcam app on the smartphone and attach it to the remote car. It's a start at least, then you can upgrade to a better/more expensive camera later.

The next step would be to create a Quest specific app that can show the network camera VR video stream in a better way and implement remote control of the vehicle in the app to use the Quest controllers instead and perhaps use head movements to control the camera. But this is a lot of work for little gain in functionality.

I have been thinking of something like this (that's why I had the above steps on my mind). But currently I'm trying to learn Unity (I made a red cube and got it running in the Quest yesterday *yay!*).
    Hi Johan, i just followed your steps and everything simply works perfectly !
    Thank you so much buddy, good luck with Unity !