Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S and Rift 1.40 PTC Release Notes

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Guardian

We’ve made performance improvements and feature updates to improve your experience while interacting with Guardian. These updates include:

• Ability to clear your Guardian boundary history from your Guardian settings menu.
  • Opportunity to confirm your Guardian boundaries are accurate when you first put on your headset.
  • Removed the need to indicate what direction is forward when setting up Guardian.

Store
  • Updated the design, and improved performance and load times for the Oculus Store.

Home
  • You can now collect all of your Oculus Home rewards at once with the new Collect All button.

Fixes
  • Fixed an issue where touch controllers could lose tracking during fast movements with Rift.
  • Removed warning that USB drivers needed to be updated when drivers were already up to date.

As always, if you encounter any issues with this software release, please be sure to report them using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. If you have any feature requests or suggestions to make the Oculus software even better, please head over to our UserVoice page to share your feedback. Thanks for your continued help!
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!
143 REPLIES 143

ShocksVR
Superstar
@Chips4hoy  that seems like an Oculus Support worthy issue (or at the least a Feedback form - both options allow you to submit logs which is what Oculus probably needs to fix it).  I hope they can resolve it.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Vaalik666
Honored Guest
Even more reasons to switch to valve index. Thank you, i wil think about it.

MPires
Heroic Explorer

dburne said:

I am getting a message " Something went wrong and your  device can not track the movement of the headset".
However tracking seems fine, so not sure why I am getting that message.
It pops up in the headset when I put it on, and remains in the Notification area.

Same message to me

Same

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was on the beta branch. My oculus Rift S was finally working on Fallout4VR.

Then next day it wouldn`t recognise my 3.1 usbs, just no way. So I plugged into 3.0. After several in and outs to several USB 3s it finally took. then it messed me arpound with the Guardian with errors (flashing grey camera). Finally fixed that. Then after about 3 hours of this frustration. I was finally able to get a stable VR on the Oculus home thing.

But- "Something has gone wrong and the headset is unable to track". Popped up. ARRRGGH. But it seemed to be working. Restarted, still got that error message. Started Fallout4VR anyway. Worked ok, but then the headtracking went screwy like the world moved around instead of me looking around, controllers go crazy. I had plenty of light.

It was only after all this I realised that a new update had installed the previous night, 12 hours ago.

Uninstalled Oculus, reinstalled to my own drive, and suddenly all working, oh look, it LIKES my 3.1 usbs now. The next day I had a full session, no issues.

Next day to my consternation, it suddenly doesn`t like my USB 3.1 any more. I have to plu into 3.0 and it looks ok, but popping up with the "Something`s wrong..." message again.

I have tried so many things to fix it. This thing has a mind of its own. At first it seems like it was the Beta-Patch causing problems, but then it plays up even when I roll back after an entire session of no issues. This thing is schizophrenic and it`s truly a nightmare. I never know if it`ll work on a new session or not.

It seems to work best if I never unplug it, but then my monitor fails to start.

I am considering going back to the Beta brance again.... but I don`t know. I`m just tired of this thing. So much of my time I could`ve spent better doing my work.

Nightmare of frustration that takes me back to the days of Congfig. sys and autoexecbat of the 1990s when trying to start a game in Windows ...

Anonymous
Not applicable
What the? Where did my post go? I had genuine greviances of an item I paid for and you just deleted it?

Anonymous
Not applicable
WEll I will say that I had to go back to 1:39 because the sftware is seriously buggy. I wrote why in detail, but clearly the Devs don`t want to hear what`s actually wrong. I thought we were on the Beta branch to HELP make things better out of our own time (unpaid), not be ignored or have our posts deleted.

I won`t forget this lack of customer care.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

What the? Where did my post go? I had genuine greviances of an item I paid for and you just deleted it?

It got caught in the spam filter. I've cleared it now.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer
Moving in the right direction. I know they continue to work on the issues we are reporting and know about the new crop of bugs (headset not tracking report).
Thanks guys and no, I don't feel you are stealing my time!

Richooal
Consultant

Nightmare of frustration that takes me back to the days of Congfig. sys and autoexecbat of the 1990s when trying to start a game in Windows ...

At least we were in control of what lines we used, and knew what the effect of each one was. (*sigh*... those were the days)
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

huliqan
Adventurer
After last update to 1.40 PTC  constantly pops up error.What does it mean? Home closes if take off and put on again  the helmet on the head
Rift S
6hudio28d503.jpg
OculusClientError 
Server closed connection
...If I run my copy 1.39 PTC all works fine!!! 
What is the problem with 1.40?