cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unite, not devide

Partyfreaker
Protege
I think I can speak for all VR users that the VR industry must be universal between devices in order for VR to survive 

When I bought the Oculus Quest, I was happy about one thing: Enjoying a cable less 6DOF VR experience with good quality
But one thing bothered me the most: My freedom of choice.

I set my device to developer mode to find out 2 things,:
1: The ethernet over USB has been disabled.
2: USB tethering has been disabled.

Not only that, it has been completely stripped off the OS and sealed shut to ensure people can't stream games from SteamVR with a powerful cable connection.

As contradicted it may sound, I like a device that I can use wireless and enjoy fast and easy gaming without the use of a PC, but i do like the ability to choose to stream games or play them directly on my device. 

I am still in my 30 days refund policy and I'm really doubting on returning my device... removing the default USB features is really a childish move from the Oculus developers and dividing all devices on the market is not only frustrating for the users but the game developers as well: I can buy Moss in the Steam store AND the oculus store, so the game developers aren't getting robbed, heck 'm thinking about buying them both so I can enjoy the HQ texture when connected on the PC and while I'm in the mood for a quick play I play it directly on the machine.

Also if the USB features were enabled i could stream 6k videos better, play more games and unlock the full potential of the device.

Some of you will say "Just buy a 5Ghz router". I did, I even connected a 5ghz AP directly to my PC so only the Oculus is connected without any interference of other devices, but when I connect a Ethernet cable into a USB C connector on a mobile device the latency and quality is off the charts.

I hope my message will be heard by Oculus and a next update will contain the Ethernet and Tethering option, because Google Daydream is also working on a 6DOF device, and if I can connect my Note S10 with an 1Gbps OTG cable, the quest won't be much more than a closed circuit gimmick.

It's all about freedom, please don't make any excuses and give the Quest its full potential.

Regards,
Ferry

13 REPLIES 13

JohanTEAswe
Expert Protege
I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve. What is you goal, to stream from the Quest to Twitch/Mixer/YouTube, record the complete Quest screen, or stream to the Quest?

I stream the full Quest screen over wifi using ADB and scrcpy to my computer without any problems, at high bit rate even. It is a bit tricky but if you follow the description made by "Cas And Chary VR" on how to stream from the Quest I think you achieve most of what you're aiming for:

Considering streaming to the quest, you can put the Quest in developer mode and sideload whatever you like. So I have to disagree with you on your statement that Oculus have locked down the system. I think they should get praise for allowing almost complete access to the whole unit while in developer mode. I haven't tried changing the OS on the Quest but I wouldn't be surprised if you can add the USB support if you like. I think Oculus just stripped down the system to minimize CPU load to get the most graphic performance out of it, not to lock users out.

Partyfreaker
Protege
I don't think you understand what I mean.

I am goaling ofcourse to ALVR, Riftcat and Virtual desktop.

The quest is loaded with Android 7.1, and by default android supports USB tethering and the ability to use an OTG cable so you can connect your Ethernet cable directly to the Oculus Quest.

Streaming games with 5Ghz is quit nice, but if you can use a direct UTP cable in your Quest via the USB-c connector, the speed is twice as fast.

Oculus did removed the USB drivers to connect an UTP cable, and USB tethering is not allowed even if you pop up the original Android settings menu via the command prompt. If Oculus had to manufacture this I would agree with you, but UTP cable support over USB is an default option in android, the GearVR for example has this option, because the drivers are not removed by Oculus.

Also that you have to Sideload Virtual Desktop just to stream VR games is just another affirmation that oculus is not willing to support HQ streaming to SteamVR.

I tried enabling Tethering via the command prompt and am not allowed, also when I try to enable DHCP for my Ethernet cable I also get access denied, even ifconfig doesn't show the device.

So your really wrong about the part that it is just a hidden part I have to look for, I spend a whole week to add the default USB support via ADB without any luck and am very frustrated at this point.

Emilian1978
Protege
Offtopic. Sorry.

JohanTEAswe
Expert Protege
Ok. Then I get it. That's sad that it's not possible to add USB ethernet support.

Emilian1978
Protege
Offtopic again. I don't know how this got published here. A latency issue I guess. Sorry.

Partyfreaker
Protege
And why is it not possible if I may ask? I mean there is no valid reason to remove the standard functionality.

falken76
Expert Consultant
I would fully expect a company like Facebook to go the route of Apple and close off everything, anything that can be serviced by a 3rd party will be fixed in the next version also.  Just like apple did with their screens and  batteries.  They intentionally closed off that USB option for control.

JohanTEAswe
Expert Protege
SteveKnows discuss this very topic in his "8 things I'd change About the Oculus Quest" video https://youtu.be/aYQEttKuR0Y

He mentions that if USB was fully activated in the Quest it would be a direct competitor to the Rift S and that's probably why full USB support is inactive. I think he might be right in his analysis. If this is the case, it's a really sad corporate strategy.

A last resort in this situation is to root the Quest device. But I think Oculus need to support that, if no one succeed in making a root hack.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I never even knew they had usb-c ethernet support to begin with.