Rift S and Rift 1.40 PTC Release Notes - Page 3 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S and Rift 1.40 PTC Release Notes

Comments

• Vaalik666Vaalik666 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Even more reasons to switch to valve index. Thank you, i wil think about it.
  • MPiresMPires Posts: 113
    Art3mis
    dburne said:
    I am getting a message " Something went wrong and your  device can not track the movement of the headset".
    However tracking seems fine, so not sure why I am getting that message.
    It pops up in the headset when I put it on, and remains in the Notification area.

Same message to me

Same
  • socratatussocratatus Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited August 9
    I was on the beta branch. My oculus Rift S was finally working on Fallout4VR.

Then next day it wouldn`t recognise my 3.1 usbs, just no way. So I plugged into 3.0. After several in and outs to several USB 3s it finally took. then it messed me arpound with the Guardian with errors (flashing grey camera). Finally fixed that. Then after about 3 hours of this frustration. I was finally able to get a stable VR on the Oculus home thing.

But- "Something has gone wrong and the headset is unable to track". Popped up. ARRRGGH. But it seemed to be working. Restarted, still got that error message. Started Fallout4VR anyway. Worked ok, but then the headtracking went screwy like the world moved around instead of me looking around, controllers go crazy. I had plenty of light.

It was only after all this I realised that a new update had installed the previous night, 12 hours ago.

Uninstalled Oculus, reinstalled to my own drive, and suddenly all working, oh look, it LIKES my 3.1 usbs now. The next day I had a full session, no issues.

Next day to my consternation, it suddenly doesn`t like my USB 3.1 any more. I have to plu into 3.0 and it looks ok, but popping up with the "Something`s wrong..." message again.

I have tried so many things to fix it. This thing has a mind of its own. At first it seems like it was the Beta-Patch causing problems, but then it plays up even when I roll back after an entire session of no issues. This thing is schizophrenic and it`s truly a nightmare. I never know if it`ll work on a new session or not.

It seems to work best if I never unplug it, but then my monitor fails to start.

I am considering going back to the Beta brance again.... but I don`t know. I`m just tired of this thing. So much of my time I could`ve spent better doing my work.

Nightmare of frustration that takes me back to the days of Congfig. sys and autoexecbat of the 1990s when trying to start a game in Windows ...

NerveGear
    What the? Where did my post go? I had genuine greviances of an item I paid for and you just deleted it?
    NerveGear
    edited August 9
    WEll I will say that I had to go back to 1:39 because the sftware is seriously buggy. I wrote why in detail, but clearly the Devs don`t want to hear what`s actually wrong. I thought we were on the Beta branch to HELP make things better out of our own time (unpaid), not be ignored or have our posts deleted.

I won`t forget this lack of customer care.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,726 Volunteer Moderator
    What the? Where did my post go? I had genuine greviances of an item I paid for and you just deleted it?
    It got caught in the spam filter. I've cleared it now.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • LameDuckWarriorLameDuckWarrior Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    Moving in the right direction. I know they continue to work on the issues we are reporting and know about the new crop of bugs (headset not tracking report).
    Thanks guys and no, I don't feel you are stealing my time!
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,115
    Wintermute
    edited August 9

Nightmare of frustration that takes me back to the days of Congfig. sys and autoexecbat of the 1990s when trying to start a game in Windows ...

At least we were in control of what lines we used, and knew what the effect of each one was. (*sigh*... those were the days)
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • huliqanhuliqan Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    edited August 9
    After last update to 1.40 PTC  constantly pops up error.What does it mean? Home closes if take off and put on again  the helmet on the head
    Rift S

OculusClientError 
    Server closed connection
    ...If I run my copy 1.39 PTC all works fine!!! 
    What is the problem with 1.40?
  • huliqanhuliqan Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    edited August 9
    WEll I will say that I had to go back to 1:39 because the sftware is seriously buggy. I wrote why in detail, but clearly the Devs don`t want to hear what`s actually wrong. I thought we were on the Beta branch to HELP make things better out of our own time (unpaid), not be ignored or have our posts deleted.

I won`t forget this lack of customer care.
    Yes!!!Same too! I back to 1.39 !!! 1.40 does not works correct!!!(((
    NerveGear
    Turned off guardian system, but every time i wear headset i must show to this thing where is my floor. Very funny.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 902
    3Jane
    @huliqan ; - I suggest you read from the start of the topic, this is a known issue and does not prevent use of the HMD.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    3Jane
    edited August 10
    dburne said:
    I am getting a message " Something went wrong and your  device can not track the movement of the headset".
    However tracking seems fine, so not sure why I am getting that message.
    It pops up in the headset when I put it on, and remains in the Notification area.
    Thanks for reporting. This is a known issue that we're working on resolving asap. It should not affect functionality. I'll see if we can get the release notes updated to call this out.
    For those who just drop in to the topic without a little reading....

"Something went wrong and your  device can not track the movement of the headset".

PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

NerveGear
    You must be kidding. Now i can't play games with gamepad while controllers' batteries recharging... Because i need that controllers to set up floor position every time. Great!
    3Jane
    Vaalik666 said:
    You must be kidding. Now i can't play games with gamepad while controllers' batteries recharging... Because i need that controllers to set up floor position every time. Great!
    Maybe consider having a spare pair of rechargeable batteries - they always go flat at the most inconvenient time anyhow...
    Odd about floor position, are you on the PTC release?

NerveGear
    Indeed, early i thought public test channel was not so bad idea. But now i doubt...
  • john.zigmontjohn.zigmont Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    edited August 10
    First off we haven't address all the issues in the release channel and the PTC channel is far from beta it's early alpha. The only benefit from PTC channel was day early release for the snow static flash problem.
  • MPiresMPires Posts: 113
    Art3mis
    There is a strange situation that I just noticed with the new version 1.40: In the graphics preference settings immediately below the IPD there were settings to prioritize quality or performance and others for room light frequency. Now those options are gone ... What's up?
  • OjibakiOjibaki Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Also tested the fast tracking issues... resolved in my opinion!
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,265
    Wintermute
    edited August 11
    I was having a few minor problems with 1.39.1 a couple of days ago with my Rift CV-1.  I started a ticket and Oculus Support suggested that I try beta 1.40. 

Man I'm glad I did this.  Thanks Oculus Support!

Everything seems to work a little better with my cv-1 and I love that you can now select the Oculus Store from your Dashboard and have a store panel instantly pop up in fornt of you (which you can easily move/zoom) instead of waiting to be teleported to a separate oculus store room (and then back again after).  Actually, this is very close to what it was like with Oculus Home 1.0, hint-hint, lol!

I also like the new option to add an Oculus App panel to your Dashboard.  I find this very handy if I want to quickly change a few settings like audio to/from your pc options.  Previously to do this in VR I needed to open the Oculus desktop, then use it to make these changes.  The Oculus App also looks a bit clearer in a separate panel.  I just wish that when you added this option to Dash that it would stick between sessions.  Right now I seem to have to add it at the start of each new session.  Maybe I am missing something?

Now that we can access the Store from our main home screen hopefully the next step will be to offer us an Option to avoid loading home 2.0 altogether.  Sorry but I'm not a big fan of building a virtual home(s) and moving furnature/objects around.  I think that this would half the cpu and gpu resouces within your Oculus VR start screen and make transitions between apps a bit quicker.

Thanks to Oculus for continuing to support and improve our VR experience!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.

• ShiroiSakuraVRShiroiSakuraVR Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    New Patch, new problems:

- " Something went wrong and your  device can not track the movement of the headset" <--- every time i put it on
    - Mic still goes off after around 20-30 and works only if i replugin (means end games every 20-30 minutes...as a streamer the dumbest idea)
    - If i put my headset off cause i want to go to toilet or whatever which reason and put it on again, i have to set the guardian zone again

Rift S my first VR and thx Oculus that u give me a bad experience with VR...only problems since day 1, no reaction from support, one driver after another just make it more worse....
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,265
    Wintermute
    New Patch, new problems:

- " Something went wrong and your  device can not track the movement of the headset" <--- every time i put it on
    - Mic still goes off after around 20-30 and works only if i replugin (means end games every 20-30 minutes...as a streamer the dumbest idea)
    - If i put my headset off cause i want to go to toilet or whatever which reason and put it on again, i have to set the guardian zone again

Rift S my first VR and thx Oculus that u give me a bad experience with VR...only problems since day 1, no reaction from support, one driver after another just make it more worse....
    New Patch, new problems:

Maybe start a suppot ticket.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.

• Muskoka1Muskoka1 Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    Ya, back to 1.39 for me as well with Rift S, it works, latest PTC is a joke. Support ticket, no thanks. You can be their guinea pig all you like, I've better things to do. A beta version with a few minor anomalies, fine, but garbage like this that makes you run through the Guardian setup every time you put the headset on is laughable. Should have never been offered for beta testing, period. 
    MSI Z370 Gaming Plus - i5 9600k 5ghz 1.325 vcore (60c when gaming) - 32gb 2666 - 1080ti - Win 10 Pro - Rift S - Rift CV1
  • RosgilliesRosgillies Posts: 146
    Art3mis
    Muskoka1 said:
    Ya, back to 1.39 for me as well with Rift S, it works, latest PTC is a joke. Support ticket, no thanks. You can be their guinea pig all you like, I've better things to do. A beta version with a few minor anomalies, fine, but garbage like this that makes you run through the Guardian setup every time you put the headset on is laughable. Should have never been offered for beta testing, period. 
    Yup, agreed. OK Flamers, out you come.
  • john.zigmontjohn.zigmont Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    edited August 11
    Maybe a support ticket what junk this PTC is add problems that weren't there before. USB warning fixed but now you have run guardian setup every time you used your headset.

This is far from beta it's early alpha and the release channel is on going beta. I really getting tried of sorting out problems every time I want to play a game. Just fix it and don't depend on the public to submit tickets hire you own employee's and create a QA department.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,962 Valuable Player
    Seems Oculus is having trouble making their software run well on all their many, many different Rift HMDs. 1.40 ptc runs great on my CV1 
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb (arriving shortly)
    3Jane
    Runs fine on my Rift S also.
    Maybe one might suggest, with the tracking error message that the poster reads a topic before posting also?
    Incidentally, Guardian setup only once also.

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,598 Valuable Player
    No problem on my end, with exception of the known issue of tracking message that does not affect how it performs.
    Since 1.40 is the Public Test Channel hopefully they are gathering info from users to help them identify the cause of some of these other issues. Of course providing they get feedback on them.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • ShiroiSakuraVRShiroiSakuraVR Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    TomCgcmfc said:
    New Patch, new problems:

New Patch, new problems:

Maybe start a suppot ticket.
    10/10 answer
  • FlyinDranoFlyinDrano Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Rift S, PTC v1. 40. This made the USB warning disappear but that was just an annoyance as there wasn't an actual problem there and we pretty much knew that. I'd cleared the multiple controllers thing prior to 1.40 and it has not recurred

The guardian error has replaced it but I've skipped the setup as I'm flight simming so I'm seated and have no need at present. If I've gone past guardian from my chair something has gone horribly wrong! I had it pop up one too many times before I found I could just opt out of it otherwise I'm sure it'd still be nagging me.

I get the tracking error but have no apparent issues with tracking. What tracking issues I did have were caused by too dark of a room. I cured this with a little IR illuminator from Amazon. Now the cameras can see what they need to in a "dark" room. Pass thru shows the dark room lit up nicely with the illuminator on. Problem solved. 

Occasionally I get lag in oculus home. Lag in the controllers, lag activating things selected. Throwing/letting go of things isn't right. Laggy. Sometimes the bottom part of oculus home looks wavy. Not blurry, actually wavy as if it was under water. Sometimes oculus home has an odd black what looks like a sketch of the initial forward view of home that moves around with my head in front of home but behind any panels being displayed. Usually restarting oculus clears this up.

All I can think of at the moment. Keep at it!