cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 can't use rift s

F7
Protege
I went to install it and was told that it bizarrely requires Windows 10, making it unusable for anyone with Windows 7
24 REPLIES 24

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
As far as I know you can upgrade to windows 10 for free.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup, as long as it's not for a business. All you need to do is install it and not activate. You'll see an activate Windows 10 nag on your desktop but you can just ignore it.

Windows 7 is 10 years old, anyone still using it these days is more than a little insane.

DJ_DEAD_WOLF
Honored Guest

snowdog said:

Yup, as long as it's not for a business. All you need to do is install it and not activate. You'll see an activate Windows 10 nag on your desktop but you can just ignore it.

Windows 7 is 10 years old, anyone still using it these days is more than a little insane.

I don't agree with that as I'm not on windows 10 because I care about my privacy and don't want my data from my computer sent to Microsoft. I wouldn't call that "little insane". I'd call that Smart given today's situation of tech & information. 

RattyUK
Trustee

snowdog said:

I don't agree with that as I'm not on windows 10 because I care about my privacy and don't want my data from my computer sent to Microsoft. I wouldn't call that "little insane". I'd call that Smart given today's situation of tech & information. 

Spybot Anti-Beacon shuts off the intrusive Microsoft Telemetry - and it is free 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

2K said:

I went to install it and was told that it bizarrely requires Windows 10, making it unusable for anyone with Windows 7

Yeah, it's bizarre that a state-of-the-art virtual reality headset requires software made in this decade.

DJ_DEAD_WOLF
Honored Guest
It should work fine with windows 7 according to the "Oculus Compatibility Tool".

151lo7y51x9a.png

ozdude54
Honored Guest
Its not the end of the world. Worst case is you have to get another drive, install 10 on it and put a boot option menu on your PC. Install whatever game you want to run on the new drive and only use that drive for that whilst still enjoying windows 7 for everything else.

Zapper35
Honored Guest
W7 is about as stable and mature as you could ask. For Oculus to fail to employ ppl who can write the bit of code necessary is their problem. Until they sort it my Rifts are on the bench.

RattyUK
Trustee

Zapper35 said:

W7 is about as stable and mature as you could ask. For Oculus to fail to employ ppl who can write the bit of code necessary is their problem. Until they sort it my Rifts are on the bench.

I agree, they should support W7 until next January, then dump support as Microsoft will...

That's fair, wouldn't you agree?
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

ohgrant
Superstar
 They don't officially support Rift anymore. When the last update broke Win 7 support completely, they fixed it.  You will have to go through a bit more to get it installed but it should work. I copied this a year or so ago from some forum, it worked for me on Win 7 before I upgraded

"click on start then type in the search bar cmd....your downloaded file the (oculussetup.exe) 
should be in your downloads file....so when u typed in cmd and enter at the search bar the black screen should come on
....type in the screen (cd downloads) this shoulddirect it to the place its downloaded...then type this 
(OculusSetup.exe /bypassHotfixCheck)
 remember to look at what letter is a capital and lower"

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.