HOLY S*** No Mans Sky Coming August 14th Prepare your Engines - Page 4 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HOLY S*** No Mans Sky Coming August 14th Prepare your Engines

Comments

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 904
    3Jane
    If you don't have NMS yet, currently 50% of at Humble Bundle - for the next 12 days (which covers VR launch day)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,995 Valuable Player
    More details about No Man's Sky from Sean here:

Including more details of the Third Pillar  B)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    3Jane
    No mention of PvP combat, interesting...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,593 Valuable Player
    RattyUK said:
    Don't think I'll miss that there will be plenty to do without it if it's not included. The game would just turn into a Death Match where idiots joined the servers just to pepper your arse. There's enough games where that happens already.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,127 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    RattyUK said:
    Don't think I'll miss that there will be plenty to do without it if it's not included. The game would just turn into a Death Match where idiots joined the servers just to pepper your arse. There's enough games where that happens already.

Agreed, would like to have some story missions, but maybe there are some... No sure the multiplayer aspect will do anything good for my social phobia, lol 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 345
    Trinity
    Totally, PVP is so played out in games... its all about co-op
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,427 Valuable Player
    Evileyes said:

Aww. That's cute, baby.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    A nice hands-on of No Man's Sky from UploadVR here:

https://uploadvr.com/no-mans-sky-vr-hands-on/

B) 
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

3Jane
    edited August 10
    Looks like co-op only - so no mass exodus of the griefers/gankers from Elite Dangerous then :wink:

• EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 345
    Trinity
    edited August 10
    Zenbane said:
    Evileyes said:

Aww. That's cute, baby.

Hahah been there, done that.  Put it this way, I started with Doom pvp using Dwango (4-player DM) on a 14.4 modem back in the day.. And everything in between! Rise of the triad, Blood, Heretic, Duke nukem.,Quake I could go on and on! Then years of CS 1.6 and so on, in clans blah blah blah..I'm so over competitive pvp type games. Only ones I would consider now is, like a DayZ setting survival, or of course Star Citizen (or something new thats ground breaking) Other then that, pvp is a fucking snooze fest. *pew pew* "I got you bitch, back to your spawn point and made you hit space bar" YAY. ZZZZZzzzzzz

I would love to see co-op game, with a advanced AI threat, like swarms of Arachnids in the movie Starship troopers, an outpost you have to defend with your friends would be cool as hell. With a game like NMS, it would enhance the gameplay for me anyway :)
    I loved Rise Of The Triad back in the day. I think it still holds the record for the most secrets in a video game. The Pill and Bone power ups were awesome lol  :D :D :D

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,082 Valuable Player
    yep played them all, ah happy days when I had no responsibilities.
    edited August 11
    Evileyes said:
    Holy Shit, you guys are speaking my old language! I had a Orchid righteous 3dfx voodoo 2, SB awe32 was like "the shit!" sound card, I had Altec lancing 2.1 clam shell speaker setup,. 28.8 US robotics sportster, All in a computer deck which I used to rub with a diaper.. oh man, those were the days! Someone would pickup the phone, and I would yell down stairs "Get off the fucking phone!!!"  used to make Doom 2 wad files, and Duke Nukem levels... so much fun... Ahh, just got a washed over by a wave of nostalgia. X-Wing, Tie fighter etc.. boxes neatly stacked on the book shelves. *takes a deep breath and looks out the window*
    I still consider Day of the Tentacle, maybe Maniac Mansion, like the best adventure games ever - they just don't make this stuff anymore (and Space Quest 1-3  <3 ). 

Best gaming experiences - the quantum jumps - may still be the first time I saw Doom and then Lone Echo. 

No Man's Sky probably won't be one - and I sometimes wonder if it's possible to experience a new jump in this life - what would it take... Maybe extremely high-res (8K-16K?) VR and processing power beyond my wildest dreams...  
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 539
    Neo
    edited August 11
    Evileyes said:
    Holy Shit, you guys are speaking my old language! I had a Orchid righteous 3dfx voodoo 2, SB awe32 was like "the shit!" sound card, I had Altec lancing 2.1 clam shell speaker setup,. 28.8 US robotics sportster, All in a computer deck which I used to rub with a diaper.. oh man, those were the days! Someone would pickup the phone, and I would yell down stairs "Get off the fucking phone!!!"  used to make Doom 2 wad files, and Duke Nukem levels... so much fun... Ahh, just got a washed over by a wave of nostalgia. X-Wing, Tie fighter etc.. boxes neatly stacked on the book shelves. *takes a deep breath and looks out the window*
      Ha, free dial up internet with NTL in 1 hours blocks, those were the days, and your biggest worry was you were running out of space in your 1.44 double 40 floppy disk tray holder. lol

edited August 11
    OmegaM4N said:

Ha, free dial up internet with NTL in 1 hours blocks, those were the days, and your biggest worry was you were running out of space in your 1.44 double 40 floppy disk tray holder. lol

Those were the days where I learnt that your ping needed to be lower to play online games. I used to have AOL with a 400 plus ping and wondered why everyone was calling me a lagging barstuard when I had a different online user name. I was so pleased when I got my 1 meg broadband and to think I now have 200 meg that I just take for granted.
  • saami81saami81 Posts: 147
    Art3mis
    Bought this and now im patiently waiting for VR update. Ive readed about this game and watched youtube videos for new Beyond patch all day. Im afraid i might be overhyped. I hope it will be even half as good as i think it will be.
    saami81 said:
    Bought this and now im patiently waiting for VR update. Ive readed about this game and watched youtube videos for new Beyond patch all day. Im afraid i might be overhyped. I hope it will be even half as good as i think it will be.
    Exactly, even though early reviews and opinions seem great, these may have been based on limited sessions provided by Hello Games using Index and 2080 Ti (like when that dude from UploadVR visited Hello Games and got to play the game). It's a large game with many polys, high res textures and great view distance, although I'd love to get similar performance as in unmodded Skyrim VR, I'd be surprised to see that - using my oc'ed GTX 1080. I'm trying to lower my expectation as much as possible, but it's not easy, lol.

3Jane
    edited August 11
    RedRizla said:
    OmegaM4N said:

Those were the days where I learnt that your ping needed to be lower to play online games. I used to have AOL with a 400 plus ping and wondered why everyone was calling me a lagging barstuard when I had a different online user name. I was so pleased when I got my 1 meg broadband and to think I now have 200 meg that I just take for granted.
    Those were the days when I had "Home Highway" (with 8/15ms ping on my fav games servers) and could bond 2 ISDN lines for a massive 128kb, at twice the cost, of course :)

• sford52sford52 Posts: 160
    Art3mis
    RuneSR2 said:
    snowdog said:
    I loved Rise Of The Triad back in the day. I think it still holds the record for the most secrets in a video game. The Pill and Bone power ups were awesome lol  :D :D :D
    I still have the original game, the DOS version, running on my ...
    It would be nice if one of the planets you land on had a large stone memorial that read:
    YOU ARE STANDING AT THE END OF A ROAD BEFORE A SMALL BRICK BUILDING. AROUND YOU IS A FOREST.  A SMALL STREAM FLOWS OUT OF THE BUILDING AND DOWN A GULLY.
    ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home
    sford52 said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    snowdog said:
    It would be nice if one of the planets you land on had a large stone memorial that read:
    YOU ARE STANDING AT THE END OF A ROAD BEFORE A SMALL BRICK BUILDING. AROUND YOU IS A FOREST.  A SMALL STREAM FLOWS OUT OF THE BUILDING AND DOWN A GULLY.
    I miss The Pawn and Guild of Thieves so much  :'( Back then we learned to read and write playing games, the current generation is so lost, sigh  :( ;)
    Felt my verbal IQ drop like a stone when SQ4 arrived with dumb mouse control, lol.

• saami81saami81 Posts: 147
    Art3mis
    RuneSR2 said:
    sford52 said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    snowdog said:
    I miss The Pawn and Guild of Thieves so much  :'( Back then we learned to read and write playing games, the current generation is so lost, sigh  :( ;)
    Felt my verbal IQ drop like a stone when SQ4 arrived with dumb mouse control, lol.
    I learned lot of english with Sierra adventure games. I had finnish - english - finnish dictionary next to me. I was around  ten years old back then. Especially leisuresuit Larry was very interesting :)
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,965 Valuable Player
    This thread has gone completely off topic!!   .... AND I WANT IN!

I remember buying "The Hobbit" on my speccy which came with the book written in english. Quite the mouthful for a 12 year old, but it was almost mandatory reading if I wanted to complete the game, so I was motivated! :smile:
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb (arriving shortly)
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,082 Valuable Player
    edited August 12
    Anybody remember using QEMM memory manager trying to squeeze every last free k from your RAM

I bought my first PC to play ultima 7, only game to come close to this feeling was Skyrim.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,011 Valuable Player
    edited August 12
    Evileyes said:
    I get why people like PvP but i too hate it in any game which involves any form of role play.
    PvP works fantastic in arcade shooters and quick blasts - such as Elite Dangerous CQC and what not, or simple arena shooters like COD which other than visuals are nothing realistic, death means little, with quick respawns and it is a simple arcade like scoring system (for the most part I know there are other bits to it)....

but IME it is rubbish if you want to actually play like you are in a some what plausible environment.

npcs and AI (if made correctly) can be programmed to act in a specific manner, they do not need to be entertained, therefore a support AI can be trusted - if made properly - etc etc etc.

There are exceptions, where hand picked groups of players will play a very specific way, and that is great but my experience of playing with randoms is generally a disorganised mess and you always get a few "Leyroys" in there, as well as people exploting holes in mechanics. In Elite Dangerous people use throw away 100million+ credit ships with no fear of death at all, again, that aint how i want to play the game.
    An example i often use are the 2 cops and robbers games..... Payday 2 a fully coop game where the AI control the police... imo it works well and DOES play like a cops and robbers game. it makes sense.
    and Battlefield hardline - also a cops and robbers game, but it is fully player controlled.... and you get police suiciding helicopters into people and the whole thing just plays out like any other arcade shooter.  fine if that is what you want, rubbish however if you actually want a cops and robbers game.

Then there is a time issue.... if i want to spend a few hrs building a base in say Ark.... I dont want to come back a week later and find out a group of people have ransacked it.

Again to each their own but if NMS is 100% PvE with coop with friends i am all for it :)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    3Jane
    Again to each their own but if NMS is 100% PvE with coop with friends i am all for it :)
    Maybe we'll meet up in the Nexus one day and run a few missions together.

I was quite pleased to see NMS appearing to be co-op only - not that I'm against PvP, but I do like the choice in how I play and unrestricted PvP would kill NMS dead for me as I just can't be bothered to PvP most of the time.

edited August 12

Then there is a time issue.... if i want to spend a few hrs building a base in say Ark.... I dont want to come back a week later and find out a group of people have ransacked it.

I know No Mans sky is big, but I have a question about base building. How can you build a base in the game and have it remain there for good? With the amount of people playing won't your base eventually just become one large city due to other people building bases that remain there for good?