cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
#ClickGate is becoming a major PR issue for Valve:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF-td1A7yco&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3iRs-GrwDsKy9CoDXUaSeG8gonLG...

Four weeks, only to send back a new pair that still does the same thing - someone at Valve dropped a major ball there!

We recently saw the Valve VR team get a little smaller so we can only deduce that they are all over worked at the moment.

From some of the comments on the forums, I wonder if Valve will continue this experiment, or will just ease back from further investment till they are happy with the process?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Of course Valve should fix faulty controllers, hopefully this will soon be done.

Seems like Linus no longer thinks that VR is dead and he - like me (maybe we both got lucky controllers) - loves the Index:

https://youtu.be/6p1e_JSol8s

Looks like he's using a mini-ITX case just like me, lol - and seems he got an incredible experience even if using only a GTX 980 Ti. Note that he also describes the Index as a next gen HMD.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Linus is probably the only Canadian Valve's shipping to. 😛

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Linus ? LINUS ??? He would be happy with a damn Nintendo gameboy !!!
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I always wondered what HMD and controllers the World Cup Champion in VR would use...  B)

https://youtu.be/epNdBKLoyvI

According to the champ people without prior VR experience can just pick up and intuitively use the Knuckles, does sound reasonable, I haven't tested it on Grandpa yet, lol. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
SteamVR just got another beta update -  beta now is 1.7.4 (standard version is 1.6.10):

SteamVR Beta Updated - 1.7.4

13 AUG @ 2:45AM - BENDOTCOM

Lighthouse:
  • Improve the registration of controllers to headsets when moving together rigidly coupled, such as with a gun stock accessory. This applies to all combinations of HMDs, controllers, and tracking pucks made by Valve and HTC.
SteamVR:
  • Fixed VR View window from frequently unminimizing and putting itself on top.
  • Fixed docked VR View’s aspect ratio.
  • Docked VR View will no longer hide when the HMD is in standby or isn’t tracking. 
  • Added URL handler to open the Debug Commands window. vrmonitor://debugcommands
Linux:
  • Reduce CPU utilization when async reprojection is disabled.

jab
Rising Star
I got really confused for a moment. Did Oculus actually bothering to write a short note saying what's fixed or changed in this software release? But then I remembered this is the Index thread..

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Another CV1 user made the jump - there're many but I think this dude covered the most important aspects and may represent many other CV1 owners. Remember these are the very first impressions - before habituation kicks in 😉

Upgraded from CV1 to Index

Bear in mind all is just my opinion, that may help you with your decission wether to buy an Index or not

0) Setup was easy

1. FOV is a huge upgrade, just a slight black border right and left, I can finally enjoy VR like I wanted it from the beginning

2. I don´t have any artifacts on the displays, they look perfect to me (no lines or so)

3. Black levels are fantastic, in fact much better than on my CV1 (no black smear). I couldn´t see anything in Affected The Manor because it was so damn black everywhere

4. Headset has a huge sweet spot

5. 120hz is nice and you notice it

6. Display is much sharper, you can finally read text without getting a headache and you will notice details you haven´t seen before

7. The sound is quite good, but I expected more

8. The Controllers will take time to get used to, you have to really open your hand and close to grab something

9. Base stations make an anoying loud sound, both of them. I have to unplug them while not in use.

10. Steam is still a mess. Hangs up, after a restart it doesn´t see the Index as a speaker and I have to unplug the power of the Index and plug it back in so Windows/Steam finds it again.

11. You can play lots of games via Revive, it´s pretty easy to use, but expect bad performance. (Could be that I was playing in 120hz with my 1080, will have to try again with 90hz.

12. God rays are back, at least at the edges you will see them alot, but game design gets around that

13. Tracking is awesome and much better than my CV1 setup with 3 sensors (and I freed 3 USB slots aswell)

Conclusion: I will keep my Index and sell the CV1, mainly because of the bigger FOV, the crisp display and the the controllers. But keep in mind this is not a product for beginners, the Oculus hardware + software is much easier to use and a Rift S or Quest may be the better product for you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/crqc7z/upgraded_from_cv1_to_index/

For point 3 I have to disagree - CV1 is a lot better than the Index, especially in Affected The Manor. But yes, SPUD is gone using the Index, but so are the deep blacks in horror games, where you really need them. I'm starting to use the term "cinema blacks" to describe Index blacks - because in the cinema, where everything is shown on a white screen, you get much similar black levels, and you certainly don't get oled blacks. 

For point 7 I agree - but some newbies are unaware that you can push the speakers down (they are placed in small rails), so they come closer to your ears. This makes the bass closer to the CV1 quality, but CV1 still wins when it comes to bass - above something like 500Hz Index speakers have no competition from the CV1 headphones. 

Point 9 - he hasn't yet figured out that the base stations should be set to standby mode when you close SteamVR. This needs to be done manually by clicking SteamVR Settings, selecting the base stations and set them to power down when SteanVR is closed. Then the stations are completely silent - and you don't hear them in-game. 

Point 10 - I never experienced that problem, Index sound and speakers work flawlessly on my rig - never saw that problem described on Reddit Index either. Steam starts minimized on my rig, then I press the SteamVR button on the Knuckles (or the HMD), and SteamVR + the Index HMD start up automatically. Oculus still is better here - using CV1 I just need to put on the HMD and everything starts. No matter if I use CV1 or Index I don't have to turn on my monitor. Steam and then SteamVR take longer time to start though. 

Point 11 - obviously he shouldn't be using 120 Hz in all games. I use 90 Hz and usually get better performance using Index than CV1 - but it'll depend on how much ss you force on the CV1. If you don't use ss, clearly Index ss 1.0 will be more demanding than CV1 ss 1.0. But Index ss 1.0 looks about 4-5 times better than CV1 ss 2.0 and performs much better too, there really isn't any comparison. 

Techy111
MVP
MVP
My email came last week, I just cannot take the leap because of godrays noticeable or not. I'd notice them. I will hold out for upcoming (reverb) headsets.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Techy111 said:

My email came last week, I just cannot take the leap because of godrays noticeable or not. I'd notice them. I will hold out for upcoming (reverb) headsets.

The glare is there, but usually I really don't notice it. Played Doom VFR for 2 hours yesterday, never noticed any glare in-game. But you'll notice it if you got some small white text on a completely black background. I think it's an artifact of the dual lenses. I've found that dialing in the lenses seem to reduce the glare, at least it's not worse than CV1, and I'm rarely bothered by god rays using the CV1.

Also I think the Index should be worn like a crown, which also seems to reduce glare. I call it glare because I don't think it's the same as god rays, but I could be wrong.
Index is nearly twice the weight of CV1 when you're standing and have to lift like 5+ feet of cable too (Index cable is about 50% thicker and also heavier), so it's important to get a perfect fit. Like a crown weight should be put on your forehead and the back of your head, not on your cheekbones. You fix that by moving/tilting the Index slightly upwards, until you feel no or minimal pressure on your cheekbones - this seems to also reduce glare a lot and doesn't affect image quality at all. In games I don't notice glare, not even in dark games/apps like Discovering Space 2. I don't recall having any game or app I don't use because of glare. But I use CV1 for Affected the Manor, not because of glare, but because that game needs the deep oled blacks. 
Reverb may of course be better for sims due to the res - advantages of Index would be fov and 120+ hz, and the controllers, but you probably don't need the controllers in sims 😉