Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S and Rift 1.40 PTC Release Notes

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Guardian

We’ve made performance improvements and feature updates to improve your experience while interacting with Guardian. These updates include:

• Ability to clear your Guardian boundary history from your Guardian settings menu.
  • Opportunity to confirm your Guardian boundaries are accurate when you first put on your headset.
  • Removed the need to indicate what direction is forward when setting up Guardian.

Store
  • Updated the design, and improved performance and load times for the Oculus Store.

Home
  • You can now collect all of your Oculus Home rewards at once with the new Collect All button.

Fixes
  • Fixed an issue where touch controllers could lose tracking during fast movements with Rift.
  • Removed warning that USB drivers needed to be updated when drivers were already up to date.

As always, if you encounter any issues with this software release, please be sure to report them using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. If you have any feature requests or suggestions to make the Oculus software even better, please head over to our UserVoice page to share your feedback. Thanks for your continued help!
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!
143 REPLIES 143

Anonymous
Not applicable
Rift S, PTC v1. 40. This made the USB warning disappear but that was just an annoyance as there wasn't an actual problem there and we pretty much knew that. I'd cleared the multiple controllers thing prior to 1.40 and it has not recurred

The guardian error has replaced it but I've skipped the setup as I'm flight simming so I'm seated and have no need at present. If I've gone past guardian from my chair something has gone horribly wrong! I had it pop up one too many times before I found I could just opt out of it otherwise I'm sure it'd still be nagging me.

I get the tracking error but have no apparent issues with tracking. What tracking issues I did have were caused by too dark of a room. I cured this with a little IR illuminator from Amazon. Now the cameras can see what they need to in a "dark" room. Pass thru shows the dark room lit up nicely with the illuminator on. Problem solved. 

Occasionally I get lag in oculus home. Lag in the controllers, lag activating things selected. Throwing/letting go of things isn't right. Laggy. Sometimes the bottom part of oculus home looks wavy. Not blurry, actually wavy as if it was under water. Sometimes oculus home has an odd black what looks like a sketch of the initial forward view of home that moves around with my head in front of home but behind any panels being displayed. Usually restarting oculus clears this up.

All I can think of at the moment. Keep at it! 

ShocksVR
Superstar

TomCgcmfc said:

New Patch, new problems:

- " Something went wrong and your  device can not track the movement of the headset" <--- every time i put it on
- Mic still goes off after around 20-30 and works only if i replugin (means end games every 20-30 minutes...as a streamer the dumbest idea)
- If i put my headset off cause i want to go to toilet or whatever which reason and put it on again, i have to set the guardian zone again

Rift S my first VR and thx Oculus that u give me a bad experience with VR...only problems since day 1, no reaction from support, one driver after another just make it more worse....

New Patch, new problems:

- " Something went wrong and your  device can not track the movement of the headset" <--- every time i put it on
- Mic still goes off after around 20-30 and works only if i replugin (means end games every 20-30 minutes...as a streamer the dumbest idea)
- If i put my headset off cause i want to go to toilet or whatever which reason and put it on again, i have to set the guardian zone again

Rift S my first VR and thx Oculus that u give me a bad experience with VR...only problems since day 1, no reaction from support, one driver after another just make it more worse....

Maybe start a suppot ticket.

10/10 answer

I mean, that's why this is a BETA channel.
Have an issue? Then opt out of the beta 1.40 patch and report to Oculus the issue via the Feedback tool.

@OculusSupport

I'm getting the reset of guardian and the "can't track" notification (even though tracking is just fine). I sent a Feedback form for the issues.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

john.zigmont
Heroic Explorer
Still the Release Channel has problems with fast tracking and USB update error and this is the Release Channel.

ShiroiSakuraVR
Protege

TomCgcmfc said:

New Patch, new problems:

New Patch, new problems:

Maybe start a suppot ticket.

10/10 answer

I mean, that's why this is a BETA channel.
Have an issue? Then opt out of the beta 1.40 patch and report to Oculus the issue via the Feedback tool.

@OculusSupport

I'm getting the reset of guardian and the "can't track" notification (even though tracking is just fine). I sent a Feedback form for the issues.

i have this Mic problem since i have the Oculus Rift S, doesnt matter if iam using the Official Version or the PTR Version and i report it every time...0 response nothing. 

Orkel
Adventurer
Issues I've noticed in this beta:
-"Can't track headset" every time it's used.
-Guardian resets or fails to recognize area almost every time it's used.
-This bug has existed since the release of Rift S and is still unfixed: the microphone turns into a very staticy/robotic voice at random times when playing multiplayer games (for example VRchat), for approximately 1-2 seconds before going back normal. Friend has it even worse, where the mic becomes like that permanently, requiring Oculus software restart. It is only noticeable when others hear you speak in multiplayer games, you can't notice it yourself at all. It's like a microphone version of the static flash bug.

Digikid1
Consultant

Still the Release Channel has problems with fast tracking and USB update error and this is the Release Channel.

No.  This is the PUBLIC BETA CHANNEL.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

The Feedback option is not intended to help you fix problems, just report them.  You will never get a response in the Feedback forum from Oculus.  If enough persons report (vote) on the same issue I'm sure it will work its way into future updates.

If you have been having problems then you should start a ticket with Oculus Support and work with them to help resolve it.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

john.zigmont
Heroic Explorer

Digikid1 said:

No.  This is the PUBLIC BETA CHANNEL.

1.39 and 1.39.1 are PUBLIC BETA CHANNEL ? both have the same problem.  The Oculus will never be mainstream with all these problems just to play game it's just to much of a hassle.  I stand by what I said the Rift S OS has never been without a problem and most make the headset unusable  this only includes the Release Channel.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
1.39.1 is currently the only final release version.  You will currently get this when you run a repair or reinstall. 

John Z, not everyone is having as many problems as you are.  Complaining about it non-stop is not going to fix anything (remember Mac , lol!).  Start a ticket with Oculus Support and work with them.  At the end of the day you might find that you have a faulty unit.  Good luck mate.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

john.zigmont
Heroic Explorer
@TomCgcmfc

I know the deal I owned 2 Rift CV1 which were problems due not purchasing a Inateck USB card for the most part everything worked after purchasing the USB card. I never encountered  so many problems with a headset. I opened tickets for the white static screen and had the unit replaced and send back to me with the same problem 3 hours of my time wasted nothing was solved received the new Rift-s open another ticket because of the white static on the new headset I was send a cable which did nothing. Second problem multi-monitor on my PC blank screen on the Rift-s  headset never happen with CV1 and a user on the forum told my to disable one monitor (solved the problem) tracking on the unit is hit or miss depending on the update I don't have a faculty unit I borrowed my friends unit and I had the same problems. My Vive works fine my two Samsung Odyssey work . Complaining I own over 70 Oculus Rift games from the store which I can't use and I have a headset which I like but is a hassle to get working and it should be plug N play.

All I know is I worked in Q/A electronics and entertainment  for good part of 40 years of  my employment and if I gave the OK for product in this shape I would been fired.