The tax is charged for online game, is the policy changed — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The tax is charged for online game, is the policy changed

weihaishenweihaishen Posts: 8
NerveGear
I bought a game from oculus quest store, I noticed I have to pay extra tax for this online game!!! I'm shocked, I bought several games recently, there're no tax at all, is the policy changed or something goes wrong

Comments

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,115
    Wintermute
    Is there only one country in the world? You ask a question regarding tax and give no useful information. Do you know that different countries have different tax regulations?
    Even worse.... do you know that one exclamation mark does the same job as three?
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,115
    Wintermute
    I can only suggest that you open a support ticket with Oculus. Only they will be able to explain the tax situation!!!!!!!!!?!
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,265
    Wintermute
    In Australia Oculus  we now pay 10% tax (GST). We used to be exempt GST for items up to $1000 but as of last year it includes everything, lol!   This is included in the total price I see on the Oculus Store.  It is broken down in your invoice.  Same goes for Steam games btw.  I'm pretty sure this is the same in most places in the Oculus world now.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,457 Volunteer Moderator
    TomCgcmfc said:
    In Australia Oculus  we now pay 10% tax (GST). We used to be exempt GST for items up to $1000 but as of last year it includes everything, lol!  
    Actually for us it started earlier (around DK2 time). The $1000 exemption was for importing from foreign companies. But Oculus registered as an Australian business, which means any purchase from them has GST, regardless of where the item ships from or how much it cost.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,854 Valuable Player
    Richooal said:
    Is there only one country in the world? You ask a question regarding tax and give no useful information. Do you know that different countries have different tax regulations?
    Even worse.... do you know that one exclamation mark does the same job as three?
    pls, I'm in Palo alto, California. I can understand I should pay the tax for the oculus quest the device itself. But I do not understand why I should pay the tax for the games. btw, one exclamation mark is not same as three, you can ask your teacher this kind of question.
    You can thank Wayfair for the tax situation.  They won a court case and now every state is going to start charging sales tax on internet sales, they're jumping on board as each month goes on.  Check venues like Ebay or Amazon now, 3rd party sellers are all charging sales tax because the venue is forcing it because of law.  You want to avoid sales tax now?  Shop from SMALL sellers that have their own websites, all venues will meet the minimum threshold on sales that requires them to pay sales tax.  For games like VR?  Too bad, you're stuck paying taxes because the games aren't available from small sellers that might not be doing $10,000 in sales to any state in particular.  This ripoff tax applies to used items as well, they are not differentiating between used and new items.
  • ezop73ezop73 Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    yep we pay tax in the UK as well

ItemPrice Racket:Nx £14.99
    Total: £14.99
    Tax included: £2.50 ( €2.71 )
  • weihaishenweihaishen Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Richooal said:
    I can only suggest that you open a support ticket with Oculus. Only they will be able to explain the tax situation!!!!!!!!!?!
    Good idea, I submitted a ticket as well, but no useful response, still keep going deep into this issue. You are so smart, hhhhhhhhh
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 484
    Trinity
    Richooal said:
    pls, I'm in Palo alto, California. I can understand I should pay the tax for the oculus quest the device itself. But I do not understand why I should pay the tax for the games. btw, one exclamation mark is not same as three, you can ask your teacher this kind of question.

You're in California? Then you should watch your news...the new internet sales tax law was signed by your governor in April this year.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/26/california-governor-signs-internet-sales-tax-law.html
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,854 Valuable Player
    Richooal said:
    Good idea, I submitted a ticket as well, but no useful response, still keep going deep into this issue. You are so smart, hhhhhhhhh
    Why waste your time?  There's no mystery.  States can now legally charge sales tax on internet sales and every state is jumping on board, it's rolling out right now.  California already submitted theirs, so CA charges tax now.  Brick and Mortar retail sales will come back now that the benefit of cheaper products online are going to disappear thanks to this tax and the ever increasing cost of shipping.
  • weihaishenweihaishen Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    falken76 said:
    Richooal said:
    You can thank Wayfair for the tax situation.  They won a court case and now every state is going to start charging sales tax on internet sales, they're jumping on board as each month goes on.  Check venues like Ebay or Amazon now, 3rd party sellers are all charging sales tax because the venue is forcing it because of law.  You want to avoid sales tax now?  Shop from SMALL sellers that have their own websites, all venues will meet the minimum threshold on sales that requires them to pay sales tax.  For games like VR?  Too bad, you're stuck paying taxes because the games aren't available from small sellers that might not be doing $10,000 in sales to any state in particular.  This ripoff tax applies to used items as well, they are not differentiating between used and new items.
    Too bad :s