Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S and Rift 1.40 PTC Release Notes

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Guardian

We’ve made performance improvements and feature updates to improve your experience while interacting with Guardian. These updates include:

• Ability to clear your Guardian boundary history from your Guardian settings menu.
  • Opportunity to confirm your Guardian boundaries are accurate when you first put on your headset.
  • Removed the need to indicate what direction is forward when setting up Guardian.

Store
  • Updated the design, and improved performance and load times for the Oculus Store.

Home
  • You can now collect all of your Oculus Home rewards at once with the new Collect All button.

Fixes
  • Fixed an issue where touch controllers could lose tracking during fast movements with Rift.
  • Removed warning that USB drivers needed to be updated when drivers were already up to date.

As always, if you encounter any issues with this software release, please be sure to report them using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. If you have any feature requests or suggestions to make the Oculus software even better, please head over to our UserVoice page to share your feedback. Thanks for your continued help!
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!
143 REPLIES 143

Downluck
Protege

Orkel said:

[...]
-This bug has existed since the release of Rift S and is still unfixed: the microphone turns into a very staticy/robotic voice at random times when playing multiplayer games (for example VRchat), for approximately 1-2 seconds before going back normal. Friend has it even worse, where the mic becomes like that permanently, requiring Oculus software restart. It is only noticeable when others hear you speak in multiplayer games, you can't notice it yourself at all. It's like a microphone version of the static flash bug.

Same here, I'm still waiting for a fix.

geoff_killick
Protege
Still getting the trigger release delay, It's random but still happens.

Richooal
Consultant

Digikid1 said:

Yk_SVA said:

RattyUK said:

Yk_SVA said:

У вас есть порты USB 3.0 и 3.1? Вы пытались использовать разные порты, контроллеры Asmedia могут вызвать проблемы. Также проверьте, не были ли заменены драйверы вашей материнской платы Microsoft, на всякий случай.

Да, у меня есть указанные порты, стоят родные драйвера на материнской плате ASUS Gene Maximus VI. Я использовал переключение всех портов USB 3.0 и 3.1. Более того я извлёк все устройства (джойстики для авиасимулятора) из других портов USB 2.0 и 3.0 оставив только клавиатуру и мышь. Windows 10 home имеет последнее обновление 1903 от 5.08.19, драйвер видеокарты NV 431.60 (крайний). Выключение DP происходит постоянно как только я подношу шлем к голове - появляется черный экран, через 1-2 минуты может включиться изображение комнаты с сообщением о критической ошибке и неисправности оборудования, после чего в разделе устройств настроек шлем отключен от DP и опять всё темнеет, на экране ничего нет. При подключении к Beta сообщение об отключении USB 3.0 вроде бы пропали.

Да, и что такое PTC? Программа Oculussetup с официального сайта, а что она ставит я не понял...

This is why we need a different language section.....

We have one. Unfortunately, Russian is not supported.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Rebel281 said:

This new update 1.40 killed my gaming OculusHome2 is taking up 25% of my CPU making games unplayable. Please allow a way to turn off Home2 as I don't use it anyway. The last 2 updates made this headset much worse wish I could roll back the last 2 updates and not take anymore.

Home2 only eats up your CPU and GPU when you are in your home.  When you start a game it basically goes to 0% usage with a bit of it retained in memory.  You can prove this yourself by running windows task manager after starting your game.

You can also try bypassing home2 by just selecting your games from your Oculus desktop App and when it starts up, put on your headset.

If your games are suffering it's either because you have too little memory (really should have at least 16Gb ram now days) and/or too high graphics setting (including SS).
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

ElusiveMarlin
Rising Star
Update has cured the HMD tracking  problem here, so thank you Oculus!

The update was a little unintuitive as I started the desktop software and the updated downloaded and asked me to perform the update. I agreed and the Oculus desktop software shutdown and restarted, but when it came back up, all I had was a large empty white window with the blue spinning mouse cursor.

I waited for about 5 minutes as I could see the HDD light flashing away, so thought it was doing it's thing. but after the HDD light stopped, I was still looking at a large empty white window with the blue spinning mouse cursor.

I waited another couple of minutes, but nothing changed, so was about to reboot, but thought I'll just put the HMD on and check.. Low and behold there was a modal message in the HMD asking me to click a button to continue the update. as soon as I did that, the white window updated and the install completed successfully.  Phew.  Glad I didn't just reboot! 

RIFT CV1
RIFT S
Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 7700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."

RattyUK
Trustee

Digikid1 said:

Yk_SVA said:

RattyUK said:

Yk_SVA said:

У вас есть порты USB 3.0 и 3.1? Вы пытались использовать разные порты, контроллеры Asmedia могут вызвать проблемы. Также проверьте, не были ли заменены драйверы вашей материнской платы Microsoft, на всякий случай.

Да, у меня есть указанные порты, стоят родные драйвера на материнской плате ASUS Gene Maximus VI. Я использовал переключение всех портов USB 3.0 и 3.1. Более того я извлёк все устройства (джойстики для авиасимулятора) из других портов USB 2.0 и 3.0 оставив только клавиатуру и мышь. Windows 10 home имеет последнее обновление 1903 от 5.08.19, драйвер видеокарты NV 431.60 (крайний). Выключение DP происходит постоянно как только я подношу шлем к голове - появляется черный экран, через 1-2 минуты может включиться изображение комнаты с сообщением о критической ошибке и неисправности оборудования, после чего в разделе устройств настроек шлем отключен от DP и опять всё темнеет, на экране ничего нет. При подключении к Beta сообщение об отключении USB 3.0 вроде бы пропали.

Да, и что такое PTC? Программа Oculussetup с официального сайта, а что она ставит я не понял...

This is why we need a different language section.....

... but Russian is so easy to understand...
Nearly as easy as English...

(Thanks Google translate...)

PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Downluck
Protege

Orkel said:

[...]
-This bug has existed since the release of Rift S and is still unfixed: the microphone turns into a very staticy/robotic voice at random times when playing multiplayer games (for example VRchat), for approximately 1-2 seconds before going back normal. Friend has it even worse, where the mic becomes like that permanently, requiring Oculus software restart. It is only noticeable when others hear you speak in multiplayer games, you can't notice it yourself at all. It's like a microphone version of the static flash bug.

Same here, I'm still waiting for a fix. Can you vote on the Oculus Uservoice topic about this issue? That would be appreciated. Link: https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/918556-oculus-rift-s-and-rift/suggestions/38299354-fix-rift-s-mi...

MPires
Adventurer

MPires said:

Orkel said:

Issues I've noticed in this beta:
-"Can't track headset" every time it's used.
-Guardian resets or fails to recognize area almost every time it's used.

The same happens to me. Despite these messages Rift S does its job.

This is annoying. I went back to version 1.39 until PTC found a way to solve these problems and intensive battery drain.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

MPires said:

MPires said:

Orkel said:

Issues I've noticed in this beta:
-"Can't track headset" every time it's used.
-Guardian resets or fails to recognize area almost every time it's used.

The same happens to me. Despite these messages Rift S does its job.

This is annoying. I went back to version 1.39 until PTC found a way to solve these problems and intensive battery drain.

That's the way PTC versions work.  Like them or leave them, lol!  

Personally I usually try most PTC's like 1.40.  Unless I see a significant difference I go back to the current stable version (1.39.1 in my case).  Once all the bugs are ironed out I'm sure 1.40 will be fine as a stable version.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer
Well, all was fixed, devices all green, haven't seen a phantom third right controller until last night. Fired up No Man's Sky (wow! great game!) and at some point all freezes. Oculus had gone into convulsions and had to hard boot the oculus app and when it came back. third phantom right controller and right controller battery error and now for the first time since 1.40, it cannot be deleted as before. AAARRRGH. There, that feels a little better now.