cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valve Index: Pixel Flashing

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Beyond the issues of the Knuckles and their manufacturing defects, it looks like the HMD itself is suffering from some "sparkling" issues.

Those flashing images remind me of... umm....

33 REPLIES 33

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
This should really be posted in the Index thread. Not sure why it needs its own thread. Anyhow I think all VR headsets can potentially suffer from this problem because it's not the first time I've seen this. Not sure what the solution is, whether it's a bad cable, drivers or something else. I've had some weird visual moments with my index rarely which resolved by restarting Steam VR. This pixel issue seems more serious though. I think some Pimax users also experienced this iirc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/bscaiq/rift_s_pixel_flashing/

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/75917/rift-s-pixel-flashing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pXSygdjcDo

https://youtu.be/SjjflcvHZYs

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

This should really be posted in the Index thread. Not sure why it needs its own thread.

The first Index thread was locked after what feels like too many contrary opinions against the Valve Index. And the current new thread is going well for those who choose to champion it. I can't help but feel as if this particular type of subject matter would cause too many problems in that thread.

Anyhow I think all VR headsets can potentially suffer from this problem because it's not the first time I've seen this.

I own GO, Quest, and Rift CV1, and have never experienced this.

I think some Pimax users also experienced this iirc.

You are a Pimax user, aren't you? Did you experience it?

kojack
MVP
MVP
A little googling... apparently white dot sparkles on TVs are caused by insufficient HDMI signal, such as using a cable that's too long. The white pixels are where the signal is dropping out. Display Port would work in a similar way.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

bigmike20vt
Visionary
I get it on my rig if i use a DVI to hdmi converter with my extension cords, my money is definitely on signal degradation somewhere along the way.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

This should really be posted in the Index thread. Not sure why it needs its own thread. Anyhow I think all VR headsets can potentially suffer from this problem because it's not the first time I've seen this. Not sure what the solution is, whether it's a bad cable, drivers or something else. I've had some weird visual moments with my index rarely which resolved by restarting Steam VR. This pixel issue seems more serious though.

Never seen or read anything about this issue on Index Reddit, must be extremely rare. Never seen it using the Index. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

RuneSR2 said:
Never seen or read anything about this issue on Index Reddit, must be extremely rare. Never seen it using the Index. 

Yes, I was the same @RuneSR2 till I read the long/bad cable comments. We have a number of individuals evaluating intensely the Index - and other than "Click-Gate" on the controllers, the reports back on durability and reliability on the headsets are good. I think Good-Rays and the Frunk issues are the only minor niggles mentioned. However on the forums, seem to be a lot of people looking to find something to point at?

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

kevinw729 said:

RuneSR2 said:

Yes, I was the same @RuneSR2 till I read the long/bad cable comments. We have a number of individuals evaluating intensely the Index - and other than "Click-Gate" on the controllers, the reports back on durability and reliability on the headsets are good. I think Good-Rays and the Frunk issues are the only minor niggles mentioned. However on the forums, seem to be a lot of people looking to find something to point at?

Yes, it's strange - I completely agree that the real issues with the Index oddly enough aren't the ones people seem to like to discuss, at least not in here - but it may be associated to the fact that most have no idea what the Index really is, because they haven't tried it - and in the news some smaller issues have attracted a lot of attention. The bigger issues are the ones you can't RMA and that affect 100% of users - as you mentioned, glare is one, but I don't mind it. 

If people really want stuff to point at, I think there're tons of posts on Oculus Reddit about Rift-S issues - and also in here. Personally I think we should focus on all the truly awesome benefits of new high-end HMDs, to me the benefits immensely outshine the shortcomings. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable
I will have to say, since Oculus fixed the white static flashes issue my Rift S has been golden, using it every day.

Anonymous
Not applicable
The difference is that the issues that the Rift S had were fixable via software updates. Now this issue in this thread may be addressable with software but the controllers are pretty much fucked. And if you get a replacement then that seems likely to be fucked too according to plenty of reports.