HOLY S*** No Mans Sky Coming August 14th Prepare your Engines - Page 5 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HOLY S*** No Mans Sky Coming August 14th Prepare your Engines

Comments

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,896 Valuable Player
    edited August 12
    RedRizla said:
    I know No Mans sky is big, but I have a question about base building. How can you build a base in the game and have it remain there for good? With the amount of people playing won't your base eventually just become one large city due to  other people building bases that remain for good?
    you say you know NMS is big... I actually think you need to think more about it.... it is REALLY big!.

ie every single player could have their own entire planet and it would still be a tiny fraction of a percentage of the planets in the game.

Elite Dangerous is mind bogglingly huge and NMS is bigger than ED.
    That said IF certain planets are more popular than others and you did end up with a sprawling city of bases... so long as HG have the infrastructure to support it then, imo that would be pretty amazing.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 300
    Nexus 6

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,160
    Wintermute
    Yeah this looks awesome, I'm definitely going to get this for sure, do we just install the normal 2D game and that gives you access to VR version?
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,396 Valuable Player
    @SkScotchegg - Yes the 2D will just update allowing you to play in VR. I'm just wondering if you can use a joystick to fly with or if you have to use touch controllers.
    Wintermute
    RedRizla said:
    @SkScotchegg - Yes the 2D will just update allowing you to play in VR. I'm just wondering if you can use a joystick to fly with or if you have to use touch controllers.

Nice 1 cheers.

Oh yeah good point, I wonder if we can use all forms of controllers, keyboard+mouse, Joystick and/or Xbox Wireless joypad? Does anybody know?
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,820 Valuable Player
    The horror ... the horror.... 

No man's sky and children

I don't usually play online games except for pavlov and arizona sunshine but I thought I'd try echo vr yesterday for the first time, I was the only adult in the lobby, just little kids messing about, I left disillusioned. With the imminent release of no man's sky beyond , do you think it will be full of small children? or am I being a grumpy old man? I've played online with young adults and they've been good, better than me usually, it's just little kids with consoles not interesting in playing I'm worried about. Is there a way to prevent other players from seeing you? Can you play with friends in a group of four and be invisible to other users? Your thoughts and advice are welcomed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/cpcqtl/no_mans_sky_and_children/

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,396 Valuable Player
    edited August 12
    @RuneSR2 - Do you have to play in groups or can you still play multiplayer alone? I don't mind seeing others players around me, but I don't want to start joining groups and then getting lots of friend requests on Steam just because I decided to play with a bunch of people.
    I'll be avoiding the groups with kids though because just the voices are enough to do my head in after a short period of time. On saying that, I've also played in clans with the older players and even some of them did my head in :D
    I just like to play single player now, but still be part of the multiplayer. I guess I could just join a group and just leave if it's not for me.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,820 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    @RuneSR2 - Do you have to play in groups or can you still play multiplayer alone? I don't mind seeing others players around me, but I don't want to start joining groups and then getting lots of friend requests on Steam just because I decided to play with a bunch of people.
    I'll be avoiding the groups with kids though because just the voices are enough to do my head in after a short period of time. On saying that, I've also played in clans with the older players and even some of them did my head in :D
    I just like to play single player now, but still be part of the multiplayer. I guess I could just join a group and just leave if it's not for me.
    I only played the pancake version for maybe 30 minutes, but back then I was alone. Died alone too :blush: I guess it's ok to meet other people in NMS, as long as they're small dots of pixels in the horizon and don't rekindle my social phobia  :D   
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    Nexus 6
    You can play single or multi player or just multi player with friends
  • EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 333
    Trinity
    Anyone know the exact time of this release (12:00am on the 14th PST?), because my leg is starting to hurt and I might need to take the day off. ;)
    Nexus 6

Nexus 6
    edited August 13
    https://uploadvr.com/no-mans-sky-vr-interview/

Upload: This is a really long shot but, Oculus Quest?

SM: Yeah. I’ve been playing it a lot, actually, and it’s lovely.

Upload: It’s the best. But… 

SM: Yeah. There is a future there, right, for that kind of device, right?

• sford52sford52 Posts: 147
    Art3mis
    RattyUK said:
    If you don't have NMS yet, currently 50% of at Humble Bundle - for the next 12 days (which covers VR launch day)
    Stupid question alert: If I buy a game from a non Oculus provider (Steam or Humble Bumble) I imagine they are playable on the Oculus platform but is there a performance hit? I was under the (mis?) impression that with Steam there are one or more helper apps that have to be run at the same time.

ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home
    Nexus 6
    edited August 13
    sford52 said:
    RattyUK said:
    If you don't have NMS yet, currently 50% of at Humble Bundle - for the next 12 days (which covers VR launch day)
    Stupid question alert: If I buy a game from a non Oculus provider (Steam or Humble Bumble) I imagine they are playable on the Oculus platform but is there a performance hit? I was under the (mis?) impression that with Steam there are one or more helper apps that have to be run at the same time.

Yes you just turn install from unknown sources in settings.
  • EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 333
    Trinity
    Hit the gym, schedule clear (14th free), index controllers charged up, stocked the fridge, my robot cleaned the house. 100% ready for NMS!!!!!!!!Bring that shit on!!!!!! im staying up till 12am, I cannot wait to play, holy SHIIIIITT
  • doc.doyle.397doc.doyle.397 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    WOW. I'm going to do an early shift tomorrow, try to get home before 4pm :blush:
    Can't believe it, seems like these few weeks since announcement were FOREVER !!
    Anyone feel same? 
    Nexus 6
    WOW. I'm going to do an early shift tomorrow, try to get home before 4pm :blush:
    Can't believe it, seems like these few weeks since announcement were FOREVER !!
    Anyone feel same? 
    I sure do , I cat wait, iv had the game for about a year waiting to be played
    NerveGear
    sford52 said:
    RattyUK said:

Yes you just turn install from unknown sources in settings.
    WOW good question. Most great games though use the oculus sdk too, and not openvr / steam vr for oculus I think. I bought it on steam had to. For this price, and if I upgrade to Index, I want to have it on steam of course. I almost buy everything on steam guys unless its exclusive like that spy game I got month or so ago...
    NerveGear
    It makes so much sense, as who knows what VR we will have in 2-5 years. I do plan on getting an index for sure, it looks to beautiful. I have the S now.
    NerveGear
    Every week I put it in the steam cart, I almost pulled the trigger last weekend :)  I love my S, don't get me wrong, but Index looks freakin awesome. Plus, I so hate the sound, I was still waiting for them to make it much louder, but I don't think they can at this point. Such a shame. My ears are weird or something and nothing sticks in them, so I barely hear anything when I play, I'm not a big sound guy though.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,655 Valuable Player
    Now the hourly countdown begins. I think VR gamers are more excited for this update than anyone else. Speaks volumes doesn't it.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,061 Valuable Player
    edited August 14
    I always wanted to get out of my ship in ED and have a stroll around on the planet. I also would like a Millennium Falcon kind of ship that while travelling through space you can put it on auto pilot, get up and walk around, so its kind of an Oculus home in space. 
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 848
    3Jane

(sound of fingertips lightly drumming on desktop)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • saami81saami81 Posts: 137
    Art3mis
    My next workday is monday. My body and soul are ready. Only thing missing is that update.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,655 Valuable Player
    That's a pretty exhaustive list of changes/fixes etc. Any time now people.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 848
    3Jane
    (Drumming of fingertips becomes less discreet)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,061 Valuable Player
    edited August 14
    I would say kiss good bye to playing it for the rest of the day while you download it at 1k an hour :)
    Wintermute
    Evileyes said:
    Hit the gym, schedule clear (14th free), index controllers charged up, stocked the fridge, my robot cleaned the house. 100% ready for NMS!!!!!!!!Bring that shit on!!!!!! im staying up till 12am, I cannot wait to play, holy SHIIIIITT

The best part of that sentence is that you say 12am like that's a late night for you? LMAO

A light night for me is like 6am!!! haha  :p