cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(blank screen) Rift S Crashes NON STOP (SOLVED!!)

Darrenteed
Explorer
My original post is below however it might not be descriptive enough to the actual problem so I am updating that here to hopefully help others.
Basically, the Oculus app would open, I would try to put on the headset and as soon as the headset would start to display, it would disconnect and the Oculus app would close and reopen. I could also just bump or move the headset to cause the crash. additionally, the app told me my USB drivers were out of date. My solution to this problem is in a comment below. 

ORIGINAL POST:
Hey There. I have sent a rift S in for repair because the headset would crash the second it was moved at all. I got my new one back today and same story.
Any ideas? I am at a loss now. 
83 REPLIES 83

rednekcowboy77
Adventurer
what a bunch of BS to even have to do this!!  obviously there are issues with the software to have to go to these extremes!!

RattyUK
Trustee

what a bunch of BS to even have to do this!!  obviously there are issues with the software to have to go to these extremes!!

Obviously no other IT platform has issues either on release of software...  Microsoft never released bad software, did they... /S
Early adoption of technology often has issues, early 'consumer' software releases frequently are seriously bugged it is all part of the game 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

rednekcowboy77
Adventurer

RattyUK said:

Obviously no other IT platform has issues either on release of software...  Microsoft never released bad software, did they... /S
Early adoption of technology often has issues, early 'consumer' software releases frequently are seriously bugged it is all part of the game 🙂

LOL, when you pay full market price for a finished product you expect a finished product.  I have yet to see Oculus provide one.  Who is being an Early Adaptor?  Pleas tell me?  Did Oculus release the Rift-S as a Beta or Alpha trial that I missed somewhere???  Was the original Rift--up until the Rift-S ever labeled as a beta or alpha product (because it should have been!!  the software behind the hardware is complete shit!!).

I eventually solved the issue all on my own, thank you very much!  You need to uninstall the superhub usb 3.0 device from the original Rift install in device manager completely (and delete the driver files), uninstall the oculus software (and manually remove any appdata and programdata files), reboot and do a fresh install). Once you do that, everything will work fine.

All of this crap would be avoided if 2 things happen:

1.  Oculus/Facebook actually spend the money to clean up their shit coding (yes, everything from the very beginning until now is still running the hardware)
2.  They drop this completely absurd requirement that oculus home be running in order for their headset to be functional.

I will 100% say that tracking on the Rift-S blows the OG Rift and Vive out of the water, it is amazing.  However, spending 2 days to solve an issue due to sub-par coding and an incompetent uninstaller for a premium CONSUMER READY product is completely INEXCUSABLE!!!

RattyUK
Trustee
Well done for 'fixing' it yourself 🙂   I guess you have never bought any other 'Consumer' software in your life then...   So much launches with Day 0 patches...  You are so lucky!
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Digikid1
Consultant

RattyUK said:

LOL, when you pay full market price for a finished product you expect a finished product.  I have yet to see Oculus provide one.  Who is being an Early Adaptor?  Pleas tell me?  Did Oculus release the Rift-S as a Beta or Alpha trial that I missed somewhere???  Was the original Rift--up until the Rift-S ever labeled as a beta or alpha product (because it should have been!!  the software behind the hardware is complete shit!!).

I eventually solved the issue all on my own, thank you very much!  You need to uninstall the superhub usb 3.0 device from the original Rift install in device manager completely (and delete the driver files), uninstall the oculus software (and manually remove any appdata and programdata files), reboot and do a fresh install). Once you do that, everything will work fine.

1.  Oculus/Facebook actually spend the money to clean up their shit coding (yes, everything from the very beginning until now is still running the hardware)
2.  They drop this completely absurd requirement that oculus home be running in order for their headset to be functional.

I will 100% say that tracking on the Rift-S blows the OG Rift and Vive out of the water, it is amazing.  However, spending 2 days to solve an issue due to sub-par coding and an incompetent uninstaller for a premium CONSUMER READY product is completely INEXCUSABLE!!!

Actually Ratty is 100% correct. If you expect something to be absolutely perfect when it comes out....well that’s just dumb.  This is also WHY YOU WAIT WHEN SOMETHING NEW COMES OUT. 

That’s called “COMMON SENSE “ but that is not known nowadays. 

rednekcowboy77
Adventurer

Digikid1 said:

RattyUK said:

Actually Ratty is 100% correct. If you expect something to be absolutely perfect when it comes out....well that’s just dumb.  This is also WHY YOU WAIT WHEN SOMETHING NEW COMES OUT. 

That’s called “COMMON SENSE “ but that is not known nowadays. 

Did you honestly just read what you wrote?

So by your logic, whatever I spend my hard-earned money on, I should expect it to be bug ridden and non-functional?

I don't know what kind of world you live in but when I purchase a product, I expect it to perform the duties it is designed to perform.  That expectation grows exponentially in relation to the price attached to the purchase.

If I buy a new television, i expect that out of the box, when i hit the power button it turns on and displays a picture.  When I buy a microwave, I expect that when I place something inside for a certain amount of time it gets warm.  When I buy a laptop, I expect that when i hit the power button, it will boot into the user setup.

So please explain to me why I should not expect the Rift-S to work when I plug it in and install the software?

And when I comment on poor coding and lazy development, it quite simply is just that.  There is a tonne of useless code that just keeps getting carried forward and there has been absolutely 0 work put into actually improving the efficiency of the software.  I expect problems when I join an alpha or beta test group for a new product or device.  When I pay full consumer price months after the official launch, I expect it to just work.

Digikid1
Consultant
Yes I did read it.  I suggest that you RE-READ it and actually THINK about it this time.  May I suggest reading the CAP LOCKED TEXT until that sinks in....

Yes it is unfortunate that it is this way these days but that is just how it is.  Adapt and next time don't be so quick to jump onto a new device.  WAIT WAIT WAIT.

rednekcowboy77
Adventurer

Digikid1 said:

Yes I did read it.  I suggest that you RE-READ it and actually THINK about it this time.  May I suggest reading the CAP LOCKED TEXT until that sinks in....

Yes it is unfortunate that it is this way these days but that is just how it is.  Adapt and next time don't be so quick to jump onto a new device.  WAIT WAIT WAIT.

I suggest you go re-read my post and THINK about it this time.

6 months after release, is not "jumping on" nor is a "new" product--especially in the tech world.  How long should I wait?  Until the next iteration is released?  The OG Rift is wrought full of bugs to this day--how long has that been out?  Some of the very same bugs have been brought forward and are prevelant in the Rift-S--6 months after the official consumer launch.

Should I wait 1 year?  2 years?  The OG Rift was released in 2016--3.5 years ago.  Is that long enough to wait?

Please enlighten us with your wisdom and teach us all this COMMON SENSE you speak of but do not possess...

FYI, Oculus support has apologized profusely to me over this fiasco and also thanked me profusely to providing them a resolution that they have been RMA'ing headsets needlessly for.  It is amazing what you can solve when you actually care to troubleshoot issues caused by inefficient software running the hardware.

Digikid1
Consultant
Kiddo I have more common sense in my baby toe than you ever hope to possibly have.  At the very least learn how to respond OUTSIDE the quote like a normal person would. Then maybe.....JUST MAYBE......I will grace you with my "superior wisdom". 

NAH. You’re not worth it. Re read previous posts and learn from them. 

rednekcowboy77
Adventurer
Digikid1 said:
Kiddo I have more common sense in my baby toe than you ever hope to possibly have.  At the very least learn how to respond OUTSIDE the quote like a normal person would. Then maybe.....JUST MAYBE......I will grace you with my "superior wisdom". 

NAH. You’re not worth it. Re read previous posts and learn from them. 

Or maybe you could just answer a simple question?  What is the correct amount of time to wait for a commercially released product before we can expect a fully functional experience?

Now that I have corrected the post for you so it is outside of the quoted text, are you able to form a proper response to it?  I know because the whole thing was the same color some less intelligent people may have a difficult time separating their own post from the direct response enough to pen down an appropriate response.  I am sorry I gave you more credit than that, I will ensure going forward, that your posts and my responses are entirely distinguished so that you are not confused.

I honestly would like to know what common sense dictates to be an appropriate time to wait after an official product launch to where the consumer can expect to purchase and experience a fully functional system.  You are the one that started down this path, so please enlighten us all.