cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam vr streaming

dudis_LE_dude
Honored Guest
so steam vr streaming makes it so a quest can play steam vr games. But does this work if your pc is turned off? It’s probably an extreamly stupid question, but I just need to know as my computer is no where near where my play space is, and my computer eats up a lot of energy and heats up fast
4 REPLIES 4

SteelRoy
Honored Guest
I presume you're using ALVR or "Virtual Desktop" to stream to your Quest from the PC? The way these work would require the PC you're streaming from to be running. Basically, the Quest is acting as a remote monitor for the PC, so if the PC is turned off then you would have no display. The computational power and GPU of the PC is required to run the Steam games.

korgen63
Protege
No, you need your pc to run steamvr and a server sofware that will send video and sound.
One more thing, streaming to Quest needs a really good wifi connection (5 ghz at least). If your computer isn't in the same room, you may experience compression, disconnection or input lag.

dudis_LE_dude
Honored Guest

korgen63 said:

No, you need your pc to run steamvr and a server sofware that will send video and sound.
One more thing, streaming to Quest needs a really good wifi connection (5 ghz at least). If your computer isn't in the same room, you may experience compression, disconnection or input lag.

So let’s say I was about ten feet away from my pc, would I experience heavy lag, or would I experience a normal level?

korgen63
Protege
The distance to your computer isn't important, the distance to your wifi source is. For ALVR, reception quality depends on distance (10 feet should be ok), walls, frequency (5ghz for better experience), used bandwidth (disconnect other devices like smartphone) and even channel used (always use a different channel than your neighbors)
You'll have to try and find best settings, ALVR is free 😉