cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical Fitness & Training!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I decided to start a thread to discuss all forms of physical fitness and training for anyone else who engages in this activity on a regular basis.

To give some context: Back in 2016 when the Rift CV1 was released, there was a lot of debate over the potential for VR to help people get involved in physical fitness. Since then, there has been at least one major article about someone who got in shape by going between VR Experiences like Beat Saber and Boxing sims. My stance back in 2016 and 2017 was that the idea of getting all sweaty in a VR HMD seemed rather absurd. I maintained the viewpoint that using a VR HMD can cause more harm than good. Examples include obstructing your vision so that you are unable to make sure that your body is maintaining good form during excessive movement. Another example is the added next strain caused by the weight of the HMD, as well as wrist strain caused by VR Hand Controllers. Especially something as bulky as Wands or Knuckles.

However, in 2018 and the beginning of 2019, I found myself becoming something of a hypocrite. I was very much addicted to building up a sweat in Creed Boxing. And I started trying to reach the top ranks in certain fitness sims within the game.  Fitness in VR started to really peak my interest. And I was planning on creating a VR Fitness thread one day, where I call myself out for being wrong, and exploring additional creative implementations of VR and Fitness.

But then right around March/April of 2019, I found myself going to the gym more often. And I was also spending almost zero time doing anything in VR related to physical fitness. Any time I entered VR, it was either for an RPG or Action Shooter experience. But I wanted to either stand or sit without over-exerting myself. Yet my desire to continue pushing my body towards being stronger and faster didn't go away. So there I was... in the gym twice a week for a few months. And then it became 3 times a week. And now as I post this, I have spent the last 8 weeks going to the gym 4-5 times a week.

I realize now that I have gone full circle. Getting a workout in VR was great for awhile, but all it ended up doing was making me want to get outside to run, jump, and swim. And then get inside a gym to exercise with others who are dedicated to fitness. I think VR served as a great catalyst to rekindle my desire to "get in shape." And so this thread is for anyone who may want to talk about fitness goals, strategies, meal plans, etc.
All that being said, here is my overall approach:
I had been out of the gym for a number of years. Family and career took over quite some time ago. At best, I might have tried to run my lazy ass around the block once or twice a month. I would attempt a pushup or a few squats on occasion. But never anything consistent. So when I decided to go back to the gym and start hitting it hard, I felt like I needed to re-educate myself. And I came across two rivaling schools of thought, both which I feel have pro's and con's that can serve me well.

On one side, we have the "science" of fitness. Where we address things like:
  • What are the most effective arm exercises?
  • What's the best chest and legs exercise?
  • How much time should you spend working out each day or week?
  • How many reps should you do?
  • How much time should you wait between reps and sets?
  • What should you eat before the workout? What about after?
  • How much sleep should you get?

While there is a lot of value in answering these questions, the whole thing does start to get a bit tedious. And rather silly, if you ask me. So I didn't want to take the "science" of fitness to any extreme. I wanted it to serve me more as a guide; a basic blueprint. Because I know that there is the other side of the spectrum, where none of that shit really matters. Where it comes down to your own personal drive, pain tolerance, determination, and mental fortitude. Where it doesn't matter if you only got 4 hours sleep and missed your protein shake for the day; you still get your ass in the gym and perform your workout to the fullest extent.

Lately, I spend a lot of time watching YouTube videos from two of my favorite channels. Each representing these opposing schools of thought.

The first is, my favorite old school Wrestler, the Ultimate Warrior. RIP.

He started his own fitness school some years ago, and his videos about the power of the mind and human spirit are fun to watch. One particular video I enjoy is his quick rant on the concept of "over training."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LVMutFvkhw

And on the other end of the spectrum resides my favorite online Fitness Trainer from Athlean-X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqlJcJfKZJw

I enjoy AX's videos to help ensure that I'm not doing certain exercises wrong or wasting time doing something "dumb." Like spending 1 hour on a treadmill when I can engage in a much more effective form of cardio.

All that being said, if anyone has any interest in this subject then let me know!
21 REPLIES 21

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I didn't know Bruce Lee could play table tennis using nunchucks, it's at 1:49 on the video and it's insane how he does this.

Wildt
Consultant

RedRizla said:

I didn't know Bruce Lee could play table tennis using nunchucks, it's at 1:49 on the video and it's insane how he does this.

https://butterflyonline.com/no-the-bruce-lee-nunchucks-ping-pong-video-is-not-real-stop-sending-it-t...
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wildt said:

RedRizla said:

https://butterflyonline.com/no-the-bruce-lee-nunchucks-ping-pong-video-is-not-real-stop-sending-it-t...

I can confirm that this video is indeed fake and is NOT Bruce Lee. No CGI though, it's actually ME doing the stunt work for it. ???

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Wildt said:

RedRizla said:

I thought it was to good to be true but didn't think to check if it was fake. I thought it was genuine because of the old grainy film look it has.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Wildt said:

RedRizla said:

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

So I guess I'll go ahead and add some of the workout routines I'm going through. I don't really get to work out a muscle group 3 times a week, as most workout programs suggest. But I definitely spend a solid 1-2 hours (depending on the routine) in the gym for each muscle group. And I can usually hit a muscle group twice a week.

Legs

• Squats
  • Deadlifts
  • Leg Press
  • Dumbell Lunge
  • Calf Raises

The Deadlifts on Leg Day give me an added bonus of working multiple muscle groups at once. And Dead Lifts have easily become my favorite exorcise.

Chest
  • Bench Press
  • Incline Bench Press
  • Dips
  • Pushups
  • Horizontal Cable Crossover
  • Low to High Cable Crossover
  • High to low Cable Crossover
Right now, I use a "weighted assist" of about 50lbs for my Dips. I'm just not strong enough yet.

I'll post more of my routine later, for anyone interested. So far, after about 3 solid months now, I have definitely started to see results both in my strength increasing and my body's overall form.

Rob_In_Phoenix
Rising Star
I have a very simple routine of usually 15 min fast walk to warm up, then about 20 minutes on the rowing machine, then another walk to cool down.  This is about all I have time for.  Usually 3 times/week.
I'm not much of a weight lifter as I prefer cardio.  This routine has served me pretty well and the rower keeps my back strong but works tons of other muscles as well.
Of course calorie management is my other main ingredient.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I haven't gotten in to calorie management yet. I love food too much!
Although if I don't hit my target weight by this time next year, then calorie management may very well become a reality for me. I'm only looking to drop another 15-20 pounds tops. So with some general dietary changes and continued exercise, it shouldn't be too difficult.
I did make a few changes with my eating habits:
  • I drastically reduced how much "fruit juice" I drink. I used to quench my daily thirst with Orange Juice and Coconut Water. But that was increasing my sugar intake, so now I drink Sparkled Mineral Water instead.
  • I cook my own food more often, drastically lowering how much "ordering out" I rely on. This helps control what goes in to my food (e.g. excess Salt).

During my chest workout yesterday, I was able to lower the weighted assist on my Dips from 55lbs to 45lbs. And I was also able to perform a full Dip without any assistance at all. That's the first time in a very long time that I could do a full dip without assistance lol

Anonymous
Not applicable
All of your wives and girlfriends could do with a bit more weight on them...

*Pats belly*

...about 11 stone should do it. 😛 😄

Rob_In_Phoenix
Rising Star

Zenbane said:

I haven't gotten in to calorie management yet. I love food too much!
Although if I don't hit my target weight by this time next year, then calorie management may very well become a reality for me. I'm only looking to drop another 15-20 pounds tops. So with some general dietary changes and continued exercise, it shouldn't be too difficult.
I did make a few changes with my eating habits:
  • I drastically reduced how much "fruit juice" I drink. I used to quench my daily thirst with Orange Juice and Coconut Water. But that was increasing my sugar intake, so now I drink Sparkled Mineral Water instead.
  • I cook my own food more often, drastically lowering how much "ordering out" I rely on. This helps control what goes in to my food (e.g. excess Salt).

During my chest workout yesterday, I was able to lower the weighted assist on my Dips from 55lbs to 45lbs. And I was also able to perform a full Dip without any assistance at all. That's the first time in a very long time that I could do a full dip without assistance lol

Well, you've got the workout thing going so you're burning tons of calories.  I use an app called Lose It to track exercise and caloric intake.  It's easy to use and they have a free version that still retains the most important features.  MyFitnessPal is another one that comes to mind.
I also weigh 5-6 times per week and log it in the app as well.  I weigh at the same time and conditions every day to remove some noise from the data.
It is impossible to fool yourself when you have a tracker and a weight trend staring you in the face.  It's too easy to go through the mental gyrations to justify eating more than I should.
With your activity level, once you start managing intake, the weight will fall off.  You'd be amazed at how your body will adapt to lower calories.  Once you're used to it, you'll find you just don't need to eat as much and food cravings will go down.
It does take dedication, but once the new routine sets in, watch the number on the scale drop.
Congrats on the dip progress by the way.  There is no way in hell I could do a dip without assist even though I weigh 163 lbs right now.