cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift-S Controllers Lag in Grip Release

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

When I close my grip on my Rift-S touch controller (last 3 fingers) and hold it for a second or two, then release, there is quite a bit of lag before they open again.  The right controller seems worse than the left.  My old Rift cv1 did not have any lag.  The problem is when you are in a game and try to grip something, then throw it, the lag causes it to either stick to your hand or weakly go offline.  Hopefully this is just another tracking issue that will soon be fixed with an update.  Tracking lag and screen flashing are my only complaints with my Rift-S so far.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers
225 REPLIES 225

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
The battery cover off solution has already been discussed early on in this thread (see pages 1 and 2).  This was one of the issues that prompted me to return my Rift S and go back to my Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Marhier
Honored Guest

Hi everyone.
Longtime viewer, first time poster.

Regarding this issue with the grip lag, just thought I'd drop in and tell you of my experience.

Upgraded to the Rift S and noticed the grip lag instantly when throwing a paper aeroplane in the 'First Steps' app; tested in multiple games and the issue persisted.
I read lots of forums about possible solutions and sure enough, removing the battery covers solved this issue for me.

Obviously, that's not a solution I was happy with, nor do I think it's acceptable.
I logged a call with them, they asked me to send my controllers to them using a pre-paid postage label, which they sent to my email address.
3 days after I sent them, I received two new controllers in the post, tested them last night and the issue seems to have been resolved; need to do some more extensive testing, but they seem fine now.

All in all, quite a pleasent experience from their customer support team... I didn't have to battle with them, they instantly asked me to send them into them for replacement

If you're having this issue, I suggest doing what I did and log the following call, which gives them all the information they'll need to get you replacements sent.

Call:
"I recently upgraded to the Rift S and whilst playing, I've noticed there's a significant amount of lag between letting go of the grip buttons and the action happening in-game.
This makes a majority of titles I play unplayable, as items that need to be thrown just drop to my side instead.

Reading online, people have mentioned taking the battery covers off the new touch controllers stops this issue, and I have to say, it seems to resolve the issue for me as well, but it's not comfortable to do so, nor is it a solution I find acceptable.

How common is this issue; is this a fault with the design of the new touch controllers - is the magnetic battery cover interfering with the sensors?
Will this be able to be fixed with a firmware update, or am I going to need new touch controllers?

It seems odd that the design of the controllers isn't too different than the original Rift, and I didn't have this problem with them.
I'm also not happy paying £400 for a broken system.

Just so you know, I have tried fresh installs of the Oculus software, tested multiple USB 3.0 and 3.1 Gen 2 ports and various different brands of batteries to see if this solves the problem.
The only thing that seems to resolve the issue is staking the battery covers off; though it still happens every now and then.

Left Touch Controller SN: *enter serial number here*
Right Touch Controller SN: *enter serial number here*

I have attached a copy of my receipt, which shows you the following information:
Retailer, invoice number, invoice date, order number, account number and what was purchased.

Shipping details as follows:
*enter your home address here*

My phone number is:
*enter your phone number here*

Need anything else, please let me know.
Much appreciated.
Thank you."

Hopefully this works for you.
Marhier
😄

Redlightning777
Protege
Has this issue received a viable solution as of yet. 

I get this problem so bad that 90 percent of the games that I own I cannot play.. 

I've been going back and forth with support.. and the say that wanted a video..  

Weird that the issue is known .. but I have to provide all of this. 

I did though.. still waiting for a response. 

400 dollars and its been one issue after another with this unit. 

Lethal_Aims
Adventurer
it is weird that one person gets replacements without too much hassle whilst another has to jump through hoops and record a video. Sounds like customer support still don't recognise this as a known issue or they have no incident management processes. 

Dreadpirateflap
Expert Protege
Are the people still having issues signed up to the PTC? because I haven't had any issues since they patched it  (so far) in the last PTC.

Dreadpirateflap
Expert Protege

Has this issue received a viable solution as of yet. 

I get this problem so bad that 90 percent of the games that I own I cannot play.. 

I've been going back and forth with support.. and the say that wanted a video..  

Weird that the issue is known .. but I have to provide all of this. 

I did though.. still waiting for a response. 

400 dollars and its been one issue after another with this unit. 

They patched it in the PTC, its working fine for me so far.

Lethal_Aims
Adventurer

Hopefully that is the case, nothing in the release notes though. I'll have to give it a try.

Dreadpirateflap
Expert Protege

Hopefully that is the case, nothing in the release notes though. I'll have to give it a try.

I have only had about an hour in VR in the past few weeks, but i was told by customer service that it was one of the things they patched in the PTC, they are really vague with some things in the patch notes. it's annoying.
I was also told first of all it was a hardware problem, then a software issue... so I don't think the communication there is very good tbh. I am hopefully going to play more tonight and see if I get the issue, blade and sorcery always had the issue within minutes for me (probably because of the amounf of gripping you do in the game) so gonna try and have a long session of that to see if it does it.

I have had two sets of controllers (pre patch) and both had the exact same issue, so I wouldn't bother going through the hassle of sending them back again.

Redlightning777
Protege

I have only had about an hour in VR in the past few weeks, but i was told by customer service that it was one of the things they patched in the PTC, they are really vague with some things in the patch notes. it's annoying.
I was also told first of all it was a hardware problem, then a software issue... so I don't think the communication there is very good tbh. I am hopefully going to play more tonight and see if I get the issue, blade and sorcery always had the issue within minutes for me (probably because of the amounf of gripping you do in the game) so gonna try and have a long session of that to see if it does it.

I have had two sets of controllers (pre patch) and both had the exact same issue, so I wouldn't bother going through the hassle of sending them back again.

I did not send it back ..   I thought, cause the controller was acting that way it was perhaps perhaps when I banged it against the wall by accident, as I was quite new to vr, so I just bought another . 

I'll have to try the beta again.. however I was avoiding it on account of the last time I opted in.. and back out.. I had to reinstall the whole driver, after manually removing it. 

Oh well.. I'll try the pre-release and see if that fixes the issue.. (man I hope so). 

Perhaps I was too hasty on the slightly agitated third support request if that is the case. 

Redlightning777
Protege
Yea..  just opted in ..  rebooted even..   still does the same thing. 
Darn.