cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An Article on empathy "walk a mile in their shoes"

Madaras
Expert Protege
This is an article about walking a mile in a homosexual person's shoes. In hopes to bring about understanding and reduce hatred and discrimination.

I personally think this is a good idea, not simply for the homosexual community, but for all prejudices. This type of thing could be used as a tool in the system of law. If a person commits a hate crime part of their sentence would be to live a virtual life in the lifestyle of the person that commuted a crime against (if it was based on prejudice)
50 REPLIES 50

Newt
Honored Guest
I don't really get it. Why would someone want an extremely realistic and immersive negative experience? Unless we are talking about some dystopian future where VR is used for "corrective programming" for those who don't conform to our new AI overlords.

Madaras
Expert Protege
"Newt" wrote:
I don't really get it. Why would someone want an extremely realistic and immersive negative experience? Unless we are talking about some dystopian future where VR is used for "corrective programming" for those who don't conform to our new AI overlords.

Hmm I wonder how heterosexuals interact in their natural habitat. One can't learn that from one's on perspective. The experience becomes too subjective, but when living through their eyes the experience becomes more objective. It doesn't have to be a negative experience, it could just be someone going to work and coming back to their family and friends.

raidho36
Explorer
Just because some gays' live is harsh, makes gaykind better kind? No. It's still against the nature and people are still hatedon't like them. Any other person could have a harsh life as well. Yes I didn't bother to even glance at it, I just know what kind of text these things are laying out.

But I mean what the hell? For whatever reason must I try to understand what drives a mentally deviated pervert? I can't even pick up right words to explain what I want to tell. It's really disturbing to me. Jesus Christ.

User was warned for this post by cybereality.
Discrimination and hate-speech is not allowed.

Octomelon
Honored Guest
I may be no expert, but I find it hard to believe someone lacking compassion will be emotionally cracked by a hammy game of all things.

Then again, a hateful belief system usually starts from some kind of brainwashing courtesy of family or religion.

Lets just skip the games and develop VR brainwashing MWAHAHAHA. :twisted:
Order no.: 0899XX Order confirmation: 15th November 2013 (NZDT) Processing: 27th November 2013 Shipping: 30th November 2013 Arrived: 2nd December 2013

Madaras
Expert Protege
"raidho36" wrote:
Just because some gays' live is harsh, makes gaykind better kind? mentally deviated pervert

looks like someone is hateful. No homosexual I know is claiming that "gaykind" is better.

Octomelon
Honored Guest
"Madaras" wrote:

looks like someone is hateful. No homosexual I know is claiming that "gaykind" is better.

I also find it ironic the first person to throw criticism is little miss pony avatar.
Order no.: 0899XX Order confirmation: 15th November 2013 (NZDT) Processing: 27th November 2013 Shipping: 30th November 2013 Arrived: 2nd December 2013

Calanar
Honored Guest
I do think that this is what will change us as people. The ability to really understand things from other people's point of view is key to this and VR can in fact help. As humans I can think of no more compelling experience than experiencing parts of each other's or a fictional person's life. The most immersive games do this now. But it can be used to teach and powerfully so. I don't think the OP is off base at all. I also don't think it will be a required/compelled experience even though it will be compelling. People will choose to do this on their own. Maybe there will be some court ordered VR hate therapy but that is something for the future to worry about because it isn't likely to be something we see near to term.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/14/4431308/digital-empathy-how-hunger-in-los-angeles-broke-my-heart-v...

- Michael Tenery
Michael Tenery, Software, RPG and Game Developer. Imagine Role Playing: http://www.role-playing.com

KBK
Protege
"Newt" wrote:
I don't really get it. Why would someone want an extremely realistic and immersive negative experience?

Show me a FPS that isn't exactly that. There's no positive side to war, no matter how some romantically driven ego may present it.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

KBK
Protege
"raidho36" wrote:
Just because some gays' live is harsh, makes gaykind better kind? No. It's still against the nature and people are still hatedon't like them. Any other person could have a harsh life as well. Yes I didn't bother to even glance at it, I just know what kind of text these things are laying out.

But I mean what the hell? For whatever reason must I try to understand what drives a mentally deviated pervert? I can't even pick up right words to explain what I want to tell. It's really disturbing to me. Jesus Christ.

Homosexuality is part of nature and has been so, going back in time as far as science and record can figure. It is part of the animal kingdom and part of the human experience, as well. So no, don't say things that you learned somewhere as some sort of fact and ego aspect - projected as control and intrusion into others lives.

I guess the simulation is needed for those of flat and stunted brow.

BTW, Jesus Christ was a man. He was from Nazareth. He had a wife. Her name was Mary.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?